Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anybody actually grow asparagus

Default does anybody actually grow asparagus

wanted to plant some last year, found out it takes a couple years at least to yield, didn't get around to it.

bought some seed a month ago, didn't pot it. still looking at these little seeds, like, where am i going to put you for three years while i wait for my asparagus?

love me some asparagus, love it, makes my pee smell like enriched uranium.

show me the asparagus!!!

Default Re: does anybody actually grow asparagus

Seeds or the roots? I planted some root stock several years ago, it doesn't do well in this ground or climate one or the other. I get about enough for one meal for a family of two. The fresh from the garden is better than any thing you will buy at the store.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I've grown it in a couple places. It is hard to start—I recall that you have to dig a trench and keep the seeds wet, then fill in around the seedlings as they grow. When they reach full size, they should be bit lower than ground level, so you can water them heavily.

Best location is near a ditch or stream where the soil is sub-irrigated during the growing season. If that's not possible, you can bury some perf pipe or a soaker hose nearby.

I've tried to start it here, but we're on a colluvial slope, rocks from the mountain above, which is porous and excessively drained (I took a soils class).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    ...fresh from the garden is better than any thing you will buy at the store.
    don't tell me that!

Yes, it does take a year or two for it to yield, but once established it can produce for several years. We used to grow ours on our farm, the asparagus bed was once a horse barn so the soil was very rich and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    I've grown it in a couple places. It is hard to start—I recall that you have to dig a trench and keep the seeds wet, then fill in around the seedlings as they grow. When they reach full size, they should be bit lower than ground level, so you can water them heavily.

Best location is near a ditch or stream where the soil is sub-irrigated during the growing season. If that's not possible, you can bury some perf pipe or a soaker hose nearby.

I've tried to start it here, but we're on a colluvial slope, rocks from the mountain above, which is porous and excessively drained (I took a soils class).

Good luck!
    hmm, good info chip. i imagine it would grow reasonably well here. we have plenty of water, and the subsoil holds it pretty well. just need to pick a place for it, and make the commitment.

Good luck!
    A very greedy plant, it needs loads of manure.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

like the last smell before the end of days

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    i can do that!

oh, you mean like from animals

Roots are the way to go. I have had mine in a raised garden for about 15 years. With no care. They live through the toughest droughts with no assistance. Get 10-20 stalks. I missed them this year and they all made ferns. Figure it will be help the roots grow for next year.

Good luck!
    Our place was one mile south of the terminal moraine of the last glacier. When the mile-high wall of ice ground to a halt and melted it dropped windrows of sand and soil, and the melt drained south, right into our garden.

Very difficult. I would never attempt seeds. Needs a serious trench, filled with rich material. Like a foot deep. Then very attractive to weeds and animals. good strong fence and conscientious care. Then 2-5 years before a crop.

Potatoes are a lot of trouble too, deep trench, good growing medium, but you get a return by the end of the first season.

Asparagus is a plant for homesteaders, who aren't planning on going anywhere for the rest of their lives.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Roots are the way to go. I have had mine in a raised garden for about 15 years. With no care. They live through the toughest droughts with no assistance. Get 10-20 stalks. I missed them this year and they all made ferns. Figure it will be help the roots grow for next year.
    how deep do the roots go? when you say raised, you mean a bed on the ground, right?

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Potatoes are a lot of trouble too, deep trench, good growing medium, but you get a return by the end of the first season.
    Warning, thread drift.
    Spuds are an excellent way to break in virgin ground, you have to break and manure the ground, then earth up the plants, then dig it again to harvest. Do not dis spuds.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Asparagus is currently plentiful and cheap. I just bought some yesterday for $1 a pound. I just learned a great recipe: Roll in olive oil and a little course salt, roast at 450 F on the middle or upper rack of the oven (not right over the lower burner or heating element) until tender via a fork poke, preferably just starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, plate, grind a little black pepper over the spears and then top with hollandaise sauce, the latter is super easy, just mix some egg yolks and lemon juice, then slowly add melted butter while constantly whisking (very easy in a small food processor or blender). Far superior to boiling or steaming, IMHO.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1928088
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I’ve got some limestone stacked about a foot high and filled with soil. Good drainage. I threw the roots in and walked away. Never have really gotten into gardening. Ok, I’ve failed as a gardener. First the bugs, then the inferno.

They have survived all these years mostly on their own. I sorta hoped they would like it there and fill the garden. Hasn’t happened yet. No idea what is going on underground. Decidedly not like bamboo. They would probably do better with some TLC.

Actually, I did get two stalks this year. I ate one with great guilt. Later another came up and I gave it to my wife. She was delighted.

Michigan is a big asparagus growing state, so it's widely available here and cheap to purchase.

Jeff C

Just get them in the ground. They'll grow back every year for you after that if you can get them to grow once.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

all this talk of plentiful and cheap asparagus is not giving me the motivation i need to get this project going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Just get them in the ground. They'll grow back every year for you after that if you can get them to grow once.
    see, this is what i need. some optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    all this talk of plentiful and cheap asparagus is not giving me the motivation i need to get this project going.
    It’s worth it to have it fresh. Good stuff. Low effort.

Asparagus is cheap now for sure. I bought a bunch. Yesterday, i poked toothpicks through four or five stalks to make a raft and grilled them on the Weber
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

We planted ours in a truck load of horse manure more or less on top of the ground. 2 years some spears, 4 years a good crop.

yes, it's cheap right now. i bought some very tender shoots for $1.99/lb myownself this past week.

but, more commonly, i pay $2.99 to $3.99/lb.

just imagine, if this thing works, i could save $3.99 a year!

We have an entire bed for asparagus.We bought a couple of "crowns" but mostly we dug it out along the road sides in a few spots around here. It's an attractive plant, like a fine fern with little red berries (containing the seeds) at the end of the season. Spread the roots, plant so that the growing centre is just below the soil and add compost and mulch. If you only get a few spears the first year or two try to leave most of it. When the plants are big and established you can lift them and improve the soil each year and replant, but we just rake a lot off the top off the bed- by hand, not with a rake- and build it up afresh.
    We get ten or a dozen good spears a day for a couple of months. Where it grows wild on the side of the road I've picked spears that were smaller than a cigarette, and where it was growing in rich soil and deep leaf mulch near a creek I've picked spears fourteen inches long and as thick as my thumb.
    Let the tops die back in autumn and then cut it off at the ground. It's easy but slow. Needs its own bed and a lot of feeding- but worth the effort. JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 04-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.

We grew it at one house. It was not easy, never prolific, but really delicious

It grows well in Oregon. Used to have it in Eugene. Never tried to grow it from seed. But there really is nothing like going out and cutting just the perfect tender young stalks, walking into the kitchen and tossing them into a steamer that's almost ready to boil. Asparagus is one of those homegrown things that achieve another level when they are eaten just picked. Like a perfectly ripe peach.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Asparagus is one of those homegrown things that achieve another level when they are eaten just picked. Like a perfectly ripe peach.
    Sonufa...

Warning, thread drift.
    Spuds are an excellent way to break in virgin ground, you have to break and manure the ground, then earth up the plants, then dig it again to harvest. Do not dis spuds.
    I like to think the reason my daughter is such a stellar gardener is the potatoes we grew when she was 3. Nothing better for little kids than digging in the dirt for treasure.

I have grown it...
    Don't harvest it the first year, just let it go.

We’ve got two beds going with another started. One bed has strawberries over the asparagus. Trippy plant, in that you’ll see a little stalk popping up in the morning and the next day it’s 14” tall. Mysterious work down below.

You could always plant the asparagus by the railroad tracks. That's where a lot of people find theirs.

LW most of the stuff we grow is cheapest in the shops at the same time we have it growing at home. So if you want it to be economical grow stuff that stores or freezes well, but then you lose the fresh homegrown aspect and it'll be fresh in the supermarket while you're eating home grown frozen It amuses me that every summer my wife pulls out the food dryer and dries lots and lots of fruit and vegetables when the air temperature here is often higher than the temperature in the food dryer. But she worries about drying food in the air- bugs etc. She's happy using the dryer, I don't argue with her and life is good JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    We have an entire bed for asparagus.We bought a couple of "crowns" but mostly we dug it out along the road sides in a few spots around here. It's an attractive plant, like a fine fern with little red berries (containing the seeds) at the end of the season. Spread the roots, plant so that the growing centre is just below the soil and add compost and mulch. If you only get a few spears the first year or two try to leave most of it. When the plants are big and established you can lift them and improve the soil each year and replant, but we just rake a lot off the top off the bed- by hand, not with a rake- and build it up afresh.
    We get ten or a dozen good spears a day for a couple of months. Where it grows wild on the side of the road I've picked spears that were smaller than a cigarette, and where it was growing in rich soil and deep leaf mulch near a creek I've picked spears fourteen inches long and as thick as my thumb.
    Let the tops die back in autumn and then cut it off at the ground. It's easy but slow. Needs its own bed and a lot of feeding- but worth the effort. JayInOz
    Damn, that’s a great post. Thanks, Jay. That should get you going, Lee. That’s got me wanting to plant some, too. When I was a teenager I somehow got ahold Of Euell Gibbons book Stalking The Wild Asparagus. Then I guess I read all of Euell’s other books. Wish I remembered it all.