Thread: Salmo 520

Default Salmo 520

I received some pictures yesterday from Salmo boats in Poland with their new design.
    I talked to him last year about the Salmo 18-T and he told me he was working on a new design, that might suit me better.

Currently I don't have much technical data, but will supplement with that when I receive it.

It might be available as a gaff sloop too.

Last edited by Chris Narum; 04-09-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Default Re: Salmo 520

Rowing double is going to be unpleasant, kind of gripy unless there is a way to get weight into the stern or the rudder to act like a skeg.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Rowing double is going to be unpleasant, kind of gripy unless there is a way to get weight into the stern or the rudder to act like a skeg.
    Perhaps the intent is to provide two positions for one rower (with and without a passenger)? Nice looking boat, either way. seems to have two mast positions as well (perhaps for a jib?).

The designer has now built one of these boats for himself and it has been changed to Salmo 515.

Looks like a very nice boat.

For more pictures you can check out the designers homepage. The homepage is in Polish, but I have posted the text under using google translate http://www.salmoboats.com/projekty-l...jachtow/358-2/

Here is some info about the boat:

Technical data
    Total length - 5.15 m
    Length of waterline - 4.85 m
    Total width - 1.94 m
    Draft - 0.20 / 1.15 m
    Sails: Lugger ket - 12 m 2 / Lugger slope - 13.5 m 2
    Crew - 4 ~ 5 people

Weight of the boat ready for sailing (without an engine) - approx. 300 kg
    , including: steel sword - 30 kg, wooden floors - 41 kg

Displacement chambers - 0.45 m 3.
    Outboard engine (long column) - 2.5 - 4 HP

The Salmo 515 is a sailing boat designed to be built using the stitch and glue method, made of 8 and 10 mm waterproof plywood, easy to build. As for its length, it is relatively wide, roomy and stable. Boat has a simple development, quite a high side and a fixed displacement chambers at the bow and stern of the total volume of approx. 450 l.
    It can be said that it is slightly enlarged, more voluminous and stable Salmo 15-S Nare also simple in construction and easy to transport, with the difference is that the sword is swivel and not a shaft.
    On the floor in front of the cockpit there is a place to lie or sleep under a tent for 2 tall adults. Additionally, at the parking lot, 1 child can sleep on the aft floor between the side benches, or even 2 children using the option of raising this floor to the level of the benches.
    If necessary (e.g. with a very small crew), an additional water ballast can be used in the form of flat canisters (approx. 40 l in total) mounted under the floor on the sides of the daggerboard box. The boat itself is rather stable, and the mainsail is better to react in stronger winds.

The sails are a lugger ket with a free-standing mast, or a lugger sloop with a bowsprit.
    The mast is hollow. The longitudinal cutout in the deck makes it easier to raise and lower the mast. The mast can be mounted closer to the stern (sloop) or closer to the bow (ket), a special lid is used for mounting in the deck.
    You can use oars on the boat, but due to the large width of the hull, 2 people will be needed for effective propulsion. 1 person is enough for port maneuvers in light winds, similar to nearby movement. Rowing may not be effective in stronger winds. Removing the sails completely (or even lowering the mast) and lowering the sword a bit may help, but it's better to use an outboard motor. The rowing benches can be completely disassembled.
    The outboard is mounted directly on the transom in a reinforced cutout next to the rudder.
    The boat works quite well for fishing. After unfastening the waist and dying the mainsail (along with the boat and boom) vertically to the mast in the cockpit, there is a lot of space and the floor is large and wide.

Sweet-looking boat! Sails real nice.

And it comes with a sword!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post
    Sweet-looking boat! Sails real nice.

And it comes with a sword!

Mike
    Yes, I guess that is what they call it in Poland. I guess it comes in handy if you want to conquer new shores

I don't know if there is any relation or connection but some time ago there was a guy in N Europe that built a Double size Shellback that looked similar and sailed well

Well that does look comfortable!

The original Breton boats had lifting rudders on long pintles like I assume he's used. Just a single blade, no rudder head, tiller over the top, alot less work to do.

Interestingly if you look at the white line running out the transom around a block, he's got a lifting arrangement on it. Not seen that before.

Moi?

For everyone with a bit more experience with small camp cruisers like these how do you think this will fare compared to an Ilur or one of Welsfords designs like Pathfinder and Pilgrim. These designs are tried and tested and the designers are well known. Pilgrim is the boat I have set my eyes on as it is a very sturdy and capable, like 4x4 as John Welsford puts it. My main use will be cruising around the Baltic coast in Estonia which is fairly open, so I need a fairly capable boat, it will also be used in the Finnish archipelago. I am sure there are many boats that meets these criteria, but I would also like to bring it to my home country of Norway and sail around the coast there as the nature is beautiful, but it can also get quite windy over certain stretches. This is why I think Pilgrim would be a good option as the design purpose is similar.

That being said 2 Salmo 15-S did a cruise along the north coast in Norway a couple years ago and the same guy also crossed the Atlantic ocean in a purpose built Salmo 21-A so the Salmo boats should also be quite capable. The Salmo 515 is a bigger version of the Salmo 15-S and should be just as capable as that and probably can do well with some more ballast to help out if you know the cruising conditions will be more challenging. What has caught my interest with the Salmo compared to Welsfords boats is that it comes as a kit and should be faster to build and it also has a unstayed lug rig so should be faster to rig as well. I have never sailed a cutter rig as Pilgrim has so don't know the pros and cons with that over the lug rig.

Salmo 15-S polar expedition

Salmo 21-A: https://youtu.be/nbPiCuRvmZg

On the other hand all Welsfords boats seem to be very well thought out with plenty of storage and built for the dinghy cruiser, plus the boats are tried and tested.

Any input or feedback on the topic is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Chris Narum; 12-23-2021 at 05:25 PM.

My son made this video of our oar-and-sailboat. Homebuilt to my design. Actually more of a rowing boat but sails well. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

FF, always love watching the Two Luggers at Play video…

I’m in the process of having a mothership designed that will be able to carry a reasonable sized sail and oar type boat. I want ‘more than a sailing dinghy’ but less than a true S & O craft. It’s fascinating when studying/comparing boats of similar lengths, that their actual ‘size’ can vary so much. My optimum loa is between 14 and 15’ but ‘could’ go to 16. This 515 is a pretty ‘big’ boat, as are FF’s luggers. I’ve got a Poohduck but it’s ‘smaller’ than I’d like. Often the relative size for a given length is the decisions between prioritizing either rowing or sailing. An Ilur is tempting but may be too big, although not too long. Anyway, carry on, great to see the variety…

A nice looking boat.

At the risk of thread drift, for Dryfeet, I just read a review in the annual Small Boats issue of WB the article on Vivier's Morbic design. https://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/morbic-12/

Could be just right?

Mike

I’ve been scouring Small Boats Monthly (am subscribed), along with Offcenter Harbor, Duckworks, Oughtred, Jordan boats, Selway Fisher, CLC, the whole gamut. Nothing ​quite seems to fit… yet…

Thanks Dryfeet and Dave for liking my boat. I posted the video partly for vanity and also to show the differences between the Salmo boats and mine. I think the Salmo is primarely a sailing boat with a fuller stern while mine is basically a rowing boat with an elyptical, canoe shaped waterline that is not optimal for sailing but good for rowing. I do like the Salmo and while she has a simple hole to keep the mast in place I have a mast that can be walked upright. The Salmo mast has to be lifted and lowered in place and it can be easy to mess this up. A friend of mine who built the BJ 17 uses a carbon mast and put some lead ballast in the foot to keep it upright easier, but that was much too expensive for me. My mast is a polyester or frp flag pole, second hand. The Salmo has probably the possibility to leave the twharts out when sailing as it seems to have plywood frames to stiffen the boat up. Then sleeping in the boat could be possible too. Further I wonder if they make a clinker plywood version of the boat, that would make her more attractive in my eyes and more pleasant to build. And I hope they will make an English translation in the website. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Frank, Im pretty sure everyone thinks your lugger is lovely. I know Id like to have one.

😇thnks Rob