Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takaya, famous sea wolf shot dead by a trophy hunter.

Default Takaya, famous sea wolf shot dead by a trophy hunter.

When it comes to recreation(?), I really can't think of a more despicable, senseless act than killing an animal for pleasure. I wonder if it made him feel all manly and virile?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lled-1.5511304

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Takaya, famous sea wolf shot dead by a trophy hunter.

It wasn't Donnie Jr. was it?

Shooting a wolf? Might as well shoot a dog. Who puts a wolf head over their fire place?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Shooting a wolf? Might as well shoot a dog. Who puts a wolf head over their fire place?
    Sickos.
    That's just my opinion though.

Just cant understand the rationale for shooting an animal such as this. It’s not for consumption. It wasn’t threatening anyone. Just to kill something because you can. How does a “human” think this makes them a better being? How could this be “fun”?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I can think of one person who probably would.

Sad sacks. The world has too many sad sacks who think such an act will satisfy an inner void. It doesn't. It won't. And the world suffers.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Just cant understand the rationale for shooting an animal such as this. It’s not for consumption. It wasn’t threatening anyone. Just to kill something because you can. How does a “human” think this makes them a better being? How could this be “fun”?
    I'm at a loss to answer that. If these people weren't "hunting," the killing of an animal would raise some serious mental health flags.

I don't call this hunting, it's useless murder!

Any animal kill that is not for food subsistence, or another purpose sanctioned by animal control or department of natural resources, (invasive species, spread of disease, attacking locals, et al) is I think despicable and should be banned, most especially "trophy hunting". And I grew up with a dad that hunted for food, and occasionally accompanied him. These folks give hunters a bad name, and other hunters should call them out on it. But as you know, moderates in any group hesitate to "condemn one of their own". Having said that, I am very curious about the local laws that allowed this; Are there bounties on wolves there? Because I don't think the wolf was shot for food.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

BTW, I've seen this wolf a dozen times or more, in person, while it was alive and living on Discovery Island.

Humans are bound and determined to do themselves in. It is too bad they are going to take so many other species with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Any animal kill that is not for food subsistence, or another purpose sanctioned by animal control or department of natural resources, (invasive species, spread of disease, attacking locals, et al) is I think despicable and should be banned, most especially "trophy hunting". And I grew up with a dad that hunted for food, and occasionally accompanied him. These folks give hunters a bad name, and other hunters should call them out on it. But as you know, moderates in any group hesitate to "condemn one of their own". Having said that, I am very curious about the local laws that allowed this; Are there bounties on wolves there? Because I don't think the wolf was shot for food.
    I'm not sure, depends on the state or even county in each state from what I understand. Bounties are often ineffective; one county may want an animal's tail, one might want a foot. I guy in theory can collect a bounty for each of the parts submitted. So one coyote killed, five bounties collected. I suppose it looks good on paper though just NOT in reality.

He looks so much stockier (less skinny) than the wolves I have typically seen (in pictures), but maybe some of that is a thicker coat of fur. In any case, a beautiful animal.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I'm at a loss to answer that. If these people weren't "hunting," the killing of an animal would raise some serious mental health flags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Have you ever hunted? I have. Deer, elk, ducks, geese, fish.

Hunting IS fun. Very satisfying, on a visceral level. Racing cars is also fun. Driving @ 120mph on a quiet freeway late at night is also great fun. There are distinctions that need to be drawn, and judgement to be employed. Certain approaches to hunting... and driving... are 'beyond the pale'. Unsafe, unsustainable, amoral, or even immoral. THAT'S my problem with this sort of trophy hunting. Serious responsible hunters wince at this sort of thing.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

hopefully gib does not see this
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Have you ever hunted? I have. Deer, elk, ducks, geese, fish.

Hunting IS fun. Very satisfying, on a visceral level. Racing cars is also fun. Driving @ 120mph on a quiet freeway late at night is also great fun. There are distinctions that need to be drawn, and judgement to be employed. Certain approaches to hunting... and driving... are 'beyond the pale'. Unsafe, unsustainable, amoral, or even immoral. THAT'S my problem with this sort of trophy hunting. Serious responsible hunters wince at this sort of thing.
    I have hunted.
    I come from a family of hunters.
    Growing up my brothers would make the trip home during hunting season, not Christmas.
    I am of the firm belief that this is not hunting, this is the murder of animals for entertainment.

Old Dryfoot. I don't hunt personally but, have families that really rely on what they hunt to live. No issues there! There was a guy who took in wildfowl to pluck and gut for customers. Many of the waterfowll he got never came back to even pick them up. When that happened, anyone who wanted a duck that hadn't been picked up, the guy would sell them for his service about 2 bucks a bird. I often bought them instead of having them go to waste. It's healthy for the population when many of the predators have been killed off. I've mentioned this before. Why hunters left them, I dunno.

Never had wolf, but if it is anything like coyote, it's not for subsistence

Declare an open season on the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    That would be hunting something worthwhile

I favor coexistence with wolves, not slaughter by people who do not understand them. The book Never Cry Wolf shows them in a favorable light.

However, I do not understand the title of the OP. Why "Sea Wolf"? Does she (I think) swim?

Also in B.C., a California Bighorn Sheep was found shot and killed. Officers think it was for fun.

Dry foot old boy, could you post the story for me? My phone won't transfer stories anymore. I think it's time for a new one.

Cbc.ca bighorn sheep
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Also in B.C., a California Bighorn Sheep was found shot and killed. Officers think it was for fun.

Dry foot old boy, could you post the story for me? My phone won't transfer stories anymore. I think it's time for a new one.

Cbc.ca bighorn sheep
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...owna-1.5511374

'I guarantee it suffered,' conservation officer says after carcass found north of Kelowna

Tom Popyk CBC News Posted: Mar 27, 2020 11:44 AM PT | Last Updated: March 27

A herd of rare California bighorn sheep occupy an area of the Okanagan north of Kelowna. (Handout: BC Conservations Officer Service)WARNING: This story contains an image that some pepople may find upsetting.

Conservation officers are asking for the public's help in finding a poacher responsible for illegally shooting a rare California bighorn sheep in the Okanagan.

A passing motorist discovered the carcass of the young adult ram dumped beside Westside Road in Shelter Cove, around 20 kilometres north of Kelowna, on March 20.

Conservation officers performed a necropsy at the scene and determined the animal was killed by gunshot. The carcass remained intact, despite its value as a trophy.

"It appears to just have been shot for the purposes of watching it die," said Sgt. Terry Myroniuk with the B.C. Conservation Officer Service. "I guarantee it suffered."

The maximum fine for poaching bighorns in B.C is $100,000 and one year in prison. Penalties are higher in other Canadian jurisdictions.
    Any hunting or discharge of firearms along the road is illegal.
    "This is the act of a poacher and a criminal, not a hunter," said Myroniuk. "Responsible hunters find this disgusting."

The area is home to a herd of approximately 75 California bighorn sheep. The animals are considered a "blue list" species of concern in B.C. because of their low numbers and declining habitat. They are likely to become either threatened or endangered without further protection.

The province has made efforts to maintain local herds in the face of human encroachment and natural predation.

"The population has been supplemented with additional animals via translocations on several occasions to help maintain viable numbers," the conservation officer service stated in a news release. "No licensed harvest of bighorn sheep occurs in this area."

Signs on the side of the road warn drivers of the animals, and sightings of the skittish sheep often draw crowds of onlookers.

Conservation officers are urging anyone with information on the shooting, or any other illegal wildlife activity, to call the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) hotline at 1-877-952-7277 or contact the nearest conservation officer service district office.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 03-28-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    In Ny, coyotes have a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    I favor coexistence with wolves, not slaughter by people who do not understand them. The book Never Cry Wolf shows them in a favorable light.

However, I do not understand the title of the OP. Why "Sea Wolf"? Does she (I think) swim?
    This wolf lived for about 8 years on a small island just off shore from Victoria, so yes, they do swim. In January he crossed that stretch of water and was roaming the streets of the Oak Bay municipality. Wildlife officers tranquilized and relocated him to a remote location on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Less than three months later he was shot dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    That would be hunting something worthwhile
    That would be man I think.

Thank-you old boy.
    I owe you 9 cases of beer. Don't let me forget.
    basil

It seems like the same mentality as the guy who poisoned the Treaty Oak.
    Rattling the teacups.

Thank-you old boy.
    Just give your dogs a scratch behind the ears, that'll do just fine.

Thank-you old boy.
    Whose old?

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    It seems like the same mentality as the guy who poisoned the Treaty Oak.
    And that brings to mind this, The Golden Spruce.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiidk%27yaas

Isn't BC running an organized wolf cull and encouraging hunters to kill them? Aren't there biologists and officials maintaining that the wolf population is too high, and a threat to other wildlife populations, including caribou?

I am not a wolf hunter, but I do hunt, and so see a lot of hunting-related info come over my email and social media and in publications I read, and I am pretty sure that is the case.

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Isn't BC running an organized wolf cull and encouraging hunters to kill them? Aren't there biologists and officials maintaining that the wolf population is too high, and a threat to other wildlife populations, including caribou?

I am not a wolf hunter, but I do hunt, and so see a lot of hunting-related info come over my email and social media and in publications I read, and I am pretty sure that is the case.

Kevin

Kevin
    Yes, they are running a wolf cull in the interior claiming that they are to blame for the decline in the elk population and not clear cut logging practices and human encroachment.

Wolf cull in the east Kootenay is to benifit the few mountian caribou left there. Latest report is that it's helping.

Was hitchhiking through there many moons ago. We has to stop for 8 caribou which crossed right in front of us.
    Last edited by goodbasil; 03-28-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    basil