Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12'6" WoodyRunabout progress

Default 12'6" WoodyRunabout progress

15March and still upside down on the jig but progressing well. https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/ Check out my detailed blog posts.

The skinning of this hard chine craft is almost complete and the shape becomes more apparant. The ply surface is in need of a good filler to sort out the blemishes from many thousands of staples having to be removed, (suggestions welcome). Hopefull I will soon be working on the topside and interior;

Default Re: 12'6" WoodyRunabout progress

Great work so far. I like the shape of this hull based on the photos on your blog. Check the afterbody carefully with a straightedge to make sure it has no rocker or hook. What are your basic dimensions, weight, HP?

Hey Moogo,

Good clean work on that Runabout. . . saw your blog and was impressed with your workmanship.

Keep going, I'm guessing you're in what I call, "the build doldrums" that came over me a few weeks ago when progress on my build was not visually evident.

Waiting to see more!!!

Stay healthy.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Skiff Man View Post
    Great work so far. I like the shape of this hull based on the photos on your blog. Check the afterbody carefully with a straightedge to make sure it has no rocker or hook. What are your basic dimensions, weight, HP?
    The run aft is flat for about the last 7ft. There is rocker but viewed from the front as in the photo it might look excessive but viewed from the transom it looks a lot less. Length is approx 12'8" and the beam 4'10". I expect the weight to be in the region of 110kilo. The outboard is planned to be a Mercury 20 hp. ( approx 68kilo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hey Moogo,

Good clean work on that Runabout. . . saw your blog and was impressed with your workmanship.

Keep going, I'm guessing you're in what I call, "the build doldrums" that came over me a few weeks ago when progress on my build was not visually evident.

Waiting to see more!!!

Stay healthy.

J
    Thanks J, Some phases are tedious to be sure but I am thankfully through the stage now and the shape is looking OK. The bow has some compound curves and I am having to steam and twist the ply into shape and glue / staple all at once. Not shown in the image is the underside with the spray rails and those outboard are just about to be tackled. I hope to put up more pictures soon.Cheers,
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by moggo View Post
    15March and still upside down on the jig but progressing well. https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/ Check out my detailed blog posts.

The skinning of this hard chine craft is almost complete and the shape becomes more apparant. The ply surface is in need of a good filler to sort out the blemishes from many thousands of staples having to be removed, (suggestions welcome). Hopefull I will soon be working on the topside and interior;
    Moggo, check out Raptor composite staples and brads, or whatever is equivalent in the UK. You will not have to pull them. Cut and sand just like wood, and will not damage your tools.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Mark Twain, Thanks for the link for those composite staples. Quite pricey - I think I shall soldier on with the metal arrow ones. Update on my Blog follow here: https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/2020...y-phase-9.html

Last edited by moggo; 03-23-2020 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added video

Nice video. I'll be interested to see it all come together. We rarely see pure powerboats being built here.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

What design? Blog sight did not say.

Hi ulav8r,
    Thanks for your querie..
    In responce I have just added some pics of sketches and the 1/8th scale mould. Please check out the updated Blog Post.
    I began with a detail study of several well established designs and have tried to amalgamate features from the classic Albatross (alloy), the Glen-l Zip to the rib type inflatable. The underside is from the latter shape, the proportions sizewise herals from the albatros including the location of a sloping bulkhead up front to give a flotation chamber, Tumblehome is of course taken from the several examples you can find elsewhere. I carved out an eighth scale half mould in whitewood, marked the eight or nine mould shapes along it and took the offsets to scale up to full size.
    The Glen-L is a very popular design but every example the amature builder puts together will be found to have personal variations especially regards the seating.
    I have put lots of thoughts into the seating and plan to keep it simple and light in weight. A couple of thwarts will be screwed in place and four individual string back chairs made with steam bent frames laid out with a foam cussion under. The shape of each seat a bit like a couple of tennis rackets locked together and tilted rearwards.
    Work is ongoing.
    Regards,
    Graham

Runabout Phase13 20th April 2020
    Update to Blog https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/

COM_8096.jpg COM_8098.jpg

Very nice, ............. Beautiful!

Wow!
    BIG progress made there

Varnish in progress with this old salt; Grandads' Runabout: See Blog Post; https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/2020...ish-boats.html

Nicely done!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Upright but still locked down. When will I be free to get afloat.!!
    https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/2020...ready-for.html

Stage 14 of Woody Runabout :: Decking & Topside.
    https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/2020...-stage-14.html
    COM_8150.jpgCOM_8145.jpg

11th May update video showing floor and transom outboard well:https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/

Progress report here on my blog post; https://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/
    COM_8221.jpgCOM_8218.jpg

On track with hopeful completion date towards the end of July. Read more here: http://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/
    COM_8239.jpg

Good progress being made now the decking is under way. The transformation is encouraging with the classic shape looking great. See Blog Post: http://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/
    COM_8248.jpgCOM_8251.jpgCOM_8252.jpg

Woody Runabout nearing completion with the decking now finished. Perhaps the ugly duckling will turn into a swan before long. For Blog post update see http://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/
    And further images COM_8253.jpg

Progress update at 07-07-2020.......https://1drv.ms/a/s!AjlAXlPVdKOWiRw_OuSF3MpjcCBF

Wow! You are making serious strides. I'm interested to see how she performs/handles, it looks like she'll 'go like stink' as they used to say.

Coming together at long last. Shall I wear a bow tie at the launch as suggested by my eldest son?
    A few more days of varnishing then final fit out of all the little detachable items including motor.
    Blog-post here: http://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/
    More Images at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AP9xvYos6VURWsfc6

Just came across this thread. Beautiful work. The chines do look fairly extreme to this powerboat designer. How do you expect the boat to react in a high speed turn?
    Tom L

Tom L,
    Thanks for your input and observations. I shall soon find out, but will be ultra careful to go gently with trial runs using the 20hp outboard. The chines you mention as being extreme could be reduced if I find the handling is adversely affected. Since the mode of contruction is such that they are hollow extensions of the side panels and could be modified if necessary. From your designer viewpoint how do suggest the hull will behave in sharp turns. Remember its not intended as a racing boat and I would not be throwing it about in that sort of manner. My intention was to have it keep as much air under the hull as possible so that it would get up onto the plane more readily. Do feel free to advise as you wish. I have a relation well versed in boat handling who will probably assist me with trial runs. Watch this space for my reports back shortly.
    Regards,
    G.T.
    Last edited by moggo; 07-26-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: double posted

Noggo,

Any chine extending below the hull horizontal level will tend to grab in a turn unless the hull has a shape that causes the hull to heel inwards in a turn. I doubt your hull shape aft will cause such a heel as the opposite chine causes the inside to also lift while the outside chine causes the hull to grab or trip. At speed and a sharp turn, the force tripping the hull can actually cause the hull to flip and capsize. There is also considerable side force on the occupants and they can be tossed overboard. I have been almost thrown out by such a force and only saved by the driver grabbing me on the way by.

Accident statistics compiled by insurance companies show that this is a major cause of such accidents in some commercial boats, especially some of the current top heavy monstrosities that also have big engines that appeal to a buyer's testosterone.

I'm not against a reverse angle chine and regularly use this device on powerboat hulls. Properly applied, which means not to excess, such chines of reasonable depth do make early planing easier as well as other advantages. Builders are admonished not to put too much power on the stern and that it is not a race boat and should not be handled roughly. I think 40HP is quite enough on this small speedy boat to cause enough concern that tests should be made to establish limits.

The problem of heeling to outside is not restricted to chines hulls. Even round chine powerboats can have this problem caused by negative hydrodynamic force of sideways moving water on a round chine in a turn.

It is only possible to give a kind of blanket statement of performance tendencies of a boat based on pictures and I do not wish to be pedantic about the issue.
    Tom L

All went well as performance is beyond my most optimistic expectations: http://moggo-blog.blogspot.com/

COM_8314.jpgCOM_8316.jpgCOM_8317.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

She looks quite daqngerous with anything over 20 hp to my eye.
    How many times I came home with bruised shoulder from chine grab, and that was with "anti trip"chines !

Hey moggo,

Fantastic build! Hats off to you. May you always be safe as you put her through all her sea trials.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Image (3).jpgIMG_20200812_113715.jpg
    Thanks for those kind compliments Kaiteinterzee. Am still safe after a prelim sea trial in calm hot weather. off South Devon, UK. where this cliff sea stack is home to sea birds and the occasional rock climber. Predictions of flaws in my design have so far proved to be groundless though well meaning to be sure. I can report that she rises up onto the plane in a quite level progression with no sign of porpoising. Stability is excellent with rails giving additional roll stability. The turns are best described as flat with no tendancy to roll either way. The 20hp outboard is plenty powerful enough for me. The plane is achieved with two up and also with three up (including myself.) Next post here I hope to provide a video of further trials. Many thanks to all those contributors to this thread and your postings. All appreciated and quite helpful.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

She sure is purty.
    Seeing the "sponsons" out of the water sitting still,looks like she is bow heavy, but if she works for you, all good.
    Does the Honda have power trim?

Hi Wizbang 13,

I think the image you saw with "sponsons" may be misleading from the angle or perspective of that shot. Images don't always reveal the true lines of any hull because its all 3d and not 2d as in a photo.
    She is definitely not bow heavy. The Honda has power tilt but not trim, which is slightly confusing to me. I haven't needed to adjust the vertical trim at all, as I raked the transom to give about 12 degrees rake "overhang" and find the ride is perfect as she is - out of the box - so to speak.
    I hope to post up here soon, some images or even a video of more trials.

Cheers for now.,
    Last edited by moggo; 08-13-2020 at 02:06 PM.