Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Birth of the Night Heron

Default Re: The Birth of the Night Heron

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yep. You’re 50% done, now. Only 90% to go!

Peace,
    Robert
    Hey Amish Rob,

Your percentage of 90% was off. . . it's only 80%!!

Thank you for your note; appreciate it, but you have to work on your math.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    Nice work! So cool the heron was sitting on the gantry crane watching you.
    Hey The Jeff,

Thank you for your observation. . . it seems he wants to be the figurehead now!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Figurehead.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Good job on the flip! Success with no sore backs.
    You must be tempted to shove her in the water just to see it float.
    Hey Rich Jones,

Yes! You're right. . . I ordered the wheels to make the slipway but due to the current craziness, they've been delayed or we would've put her in the water this week.

We just want to test the hull's integrity with a kicker motor and putt putt around the canal to see if our strake's heights are effective.

But, we have been denied!

The design is a simple two rail (treated wood) system with wheels similar to the photo below but with a 120VAC winch.

Stay safe stay healthy.

J.

Boat Slip.jpg

Sunday morning, 19 March 2020

Hey all,

The Build
    We did a few tasks when we had good dry days such as epoxy coating the interior, filleting all the seams, dry fitting a collision bulkhead, and planning a deck layout between the stem and bulkhead.

Come to Starboard Mr Christian.jpgCollision Bulkhead.jpg

We also drilled the mounting holes for the 1 inch (25mm) garboard drain plugs we received this very week. These through hull holes were first drilled to 1 ½ inches (38mm) and filled with fiberglass loaded polyester resin. A day later we drilled a 1 inch (25mm) holes on the outside of the transom deep enough to fit the drain plugs and ½ inch (12mm) on the interior of the transom. The drain plugs now have a wall of approximately, ¼ inch (6mm) around it.
    Drilled Hole.jpgFilled and Redrilled Hole.jpgDry fitted drain plug.jpg

Oh boy. . . we reached our 5 photo limit. . . continues next post. . .
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 04-19-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Sunday, 19 March 2020, Post Continued. . .

We became unproductive due to weather and tried to abate our subconscious guilt by purchasing boat related paraphernalia such as a 5 kilo Bruce anchor, anchor roller, chain, ½ inch (12mm) anchor rode, ½ inch (12mm) nylon mooring lines, running lights, etc.
    [List too long to post.]

To be built
    This coming week we hope to report on more activity such as fixing the
    collision bulkhead, cabin contour and such. We made a bow to help visualize the rounded shape in lieu of building a square boxy appurtenance. We want to build a vertical rounded front with a rounded circumference all around the fore cabin rise from zero to 18 inches (46cm) from the collision bulkhead rising to 36 inches (91cm) at the end of the cabin bulkhead. If anyone has experience in bending plywood to convoluted curves. . .

Bow to determine Cabin Shape.jpgCuddy cabin shape.jpg
    We’d appreciate your contribution!

That's it for this week. Stay safe stay healthy.

J.
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 04-19-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: photos mixed

Probably too late to be of immediate use, but just for info, the flat rollers for boat trailers (keel rollers?) are good for your slipway requirements. I've used them in similar application and found them good. Purchased galvanised steel rod of the right diameter to make up axles as needed.

Ahhh.! nothing sweeter than the lines of a new boat. Great job man!

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Probably too late to be of immediate use, but just for info, the flat rollers for boat trailers (keel rollers?) are good for your slipway requirements. I've used them in similar application and found them good. Purchased galvanised steel rod of the right diameter to make up axles as needed.
    Hey Small boats rock,

Thanks for the input but we've purchased 10, 6 inch (152mm) diameter semi-solid tires with plastic hubs for the immersed part of the slipway and 10, 10 inch (254mm) pneumatic tires with bearing hubs for the ground part of the unit. These larger pneumatic tires are where the Night Heron will sleep on when on the hard.

We checked the flat rollers when we were looking to design the slipway but these were a bit expensive and would have cost us about $12USD (11 euros or $19AUD) each for a total of $240USD (221 euros or $381AUD) whereas the 20 tires cost us $125USD (115 euros or $198AUD).

FYI, the slipway starts in the water on a "floating dock" (PVC Pipes)whose only purpose is to hold the slipway assembly at the right depth and angle independent of tide level. A hinge on the seawall will insure that the two units stay coupled to each other. The only issue with this setup is that we cannot launch or retrieve on low water as these canals are very shallow, averaging only a 3 foot (91cm) depth at mid-tide. But, most neighbors don't use their boats on low tide so we think there is no gain in having a full bore, expensive lift for Night Heron.

And that's about it. . .

Thanks again and stay safe, stay healthy.

J,

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Ahhh.! nothing sweeter than the lines of a new boat. Great job man!
    Hey Spence,

Thank you for your kind remarks. . . do appreciate it!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Sunday, 26 April, 2020

Good afternoon all,
    The Weather
    Rain! over 30 gallons (114 liters) of rainwater in the hull;luckily the newly installed transom drains worked as designed.

Collapsed Tarp.jpgDrains Working as Designed.jpg
    The “A frame” took a precious day of 10 hours to build after the deluge.

A Frame Tent.jpg
    The Build
    We were able to install the inwales, fair them to the sheer clamp/gunwales and prime them for further finishing.
    Inwales Primed.jpg
    Had 2 days to affix, fillet and prime the collision bulkhead, the breasthook, king beam and bend the fore deck into a slightly arched (port and starboard) configuration.
    Foredeck.jpg
    This week -prime the interior, paint the bilge and build floor board panels.

That's it for now. . . stay safe, stay healthy.

Sunday, 3 May 2020
    1000 hours (EST, USA)

Hey All,

This was a slow week as the weather was awful and life got in the way.

So...

We re-coated the hull interior and painted it a very light gray using alkyd based paint we concocted to mimic our heron's color. The stuff "got away from me" and it spilled over on the house wall. We lost "mucho points" with the other half on this one. . .
    Hull One Third Epoxied and Painted.jpgSo Much for Blending Paint.jpg

We also 1708 glassed the re-enforcements to the 4 panel to panel joints on the hull; Skiffman noted this concern in an earlier post.
    Panel Joint Reinforcements Unfinished.jpgPanel Joint Reinforcements Painted.jpg

Finally, we also 1708 glassed the transom sump where all the water collects.
    Transom Sump Fiberglassed.jpg

BTW, this was the first time we ever used 1708 and WOW. . . this stuff is like police body armor. Easy to work with too.

Well, we just used up our 5 photo allotment. . . so, until next week,

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Great progress! I know the feeling of buying boat parts because you can't work on the boat...

The A frame tent looks very neatly done. Don't forget to spend some time camping aboard now that you've erected such a great camp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    Great progress! I know the feeling of buying boat parts because you can't work on the boat...
    Hey Powerwagon,
    The better half took this photo of the stuff we've gotten to date "for posterity" and, I suspect, to subconsciously shame me to take her to Quebec and Montreal in the summer if this craziness is over by then.
    Shopping Spree.jpg
    Not shown, but on the way, are the Steering System with Wheel, Smartcraft Electronics Unit and Remote Engine Control Box.

"How are you going to pay for all this? [The Better Half]
    Thank Divine Providence for John Biggins, dear. [The Old Guy]

"So it weighs 310 pounds with that metal shipping cage; so how are you going to get it from here to the transom?" [The Better Half]
    300 Plus Pounds of Metal.jpg
    "The old fashion way. . . like the Egyptians did when they built the pyramids." [The Old Guy]
    "Document it." [The Better Half]

And so it goes. . .

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

The A frame tent looks very neatly done. Don't forget to spend some time camping aboard now that you've erected such a great camp site...
    Hey Small boats rock!
    I'm really tempted, believe me, really tempted to do it. . . all it needs are a few ply sheets and a camping sleeping bag.

Looks Comfy.jpg

The Better Half just might throw my pillow and a few sheets into the tent/hull. . . she complains that I spend more daylight face time with the Night Heron than with her.

Is this a typical boat builder's dilemma? Will I become a solo sailor? Hummmmmm.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

I have a shelving unit that is packed with all the appurtenances not yet installed on the boat. Running lights, bilge pumps, the smartcraft cable (cool system!), cleats, compass, vents, depth sounder, etc. I'll snap a a picture once I get back out to the shop. That would be a great thread topic actually, post a pic of your 'stockpile'. I have a bunch of stuff I won't end up using but a lot of it was cheap at a garage sale or a gift from friends.

Hopefully once she hits the water and you're cruising the canals you'll have the house paint touched up and she'll forget all about it! Camping in the boat is very fun, I plan on doing some weekend trips and 'camping out' once my project is finished.

Yes definitely a typical boat builder's dilemma. Makes no sense to me. Women are supposed to be into all things romantic and complain that men are devoid of romance, but what can possibly be more romantic than boats, dreams of the high seas and passing tall ships, the smell of tar and hemp, etc etc. The way of the winds and the seas I understand. The way of the ship I understand. The way of a woman, complete mystery. I wish you well on that front.

Sunday morning, 10 May 2020

Hey All,
    This was a very productive week as we mounted the Mercury 40Hp, 4 cycle outboard and finished the first coat of paint inside the hull of Night Heron.

The Outboard
    The Mercury came on the market and it’s what we wanted and needed so we bought it, albeit, prematurely in the build phase.

Getting the Mercury to the transom was a chore; we put wheels on the shipping cage, put a plank underneath it to prevent it going into the canal and tied it to the pergola – “just in case.”

Jury-rigging a crossbeam was a need as a borrowed scaffold was too short.

The Mercury took three days from wheel mounting to final bolting in place. An arduous task for the Old Guy working alone.

Well, our 5 photo allotment is complete. . . the “Build” continues on our next post. . . see ya there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 05-10-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: words missing

Good work! The boat is really coming together. It's a different world working alone...I have done some 'interesting' rigging in order to get things in place. It might have looked like a spiderweb but it worked. Have the inspectors been by to take a look?

Sunday morning, 10 May 2020 Post continues. . .

The Build
    As we couldn’t fire up the Mercury – the appropriate harness was delayed due to the Covid-19 issue – we concentrated on re-epoxying certain areas of the interior and to lay the first paint layer on the sides and deck of the Night Heron.
    Interior Painting 1.jpg

As stated before, we mixed the paints to mimic the Black-crowned Night Heron’s color shades using light gray for the deck and cuddy cabin sides and sandy beige for the sides of the cockpit.
    Transom View.jpg

And the work continues. . . we think that Amish Rob’s math may have been right!
    Port View.jpg

See you all next Sunday and stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Wow!! She's looking great, Joe. Nice work!!

Nice job on the engine! Love the last shot - looks like she's on plane! - inspector better hang on

Great story. It seems like you are getting a lot done.

Never had the problem of spousal jealousy - she likes that I'm out in the garage and she's in the house.

Do you need to be talked into going to Quebec and Montreal in summer? They're fantastic then.

Keep up the great work.
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Sunday, 17 May 2020

Hey All,

The “Lovebug” swarm and high winds made a mess of our tent and finally toppled it. So. . .

We spent two windy days dry fitting the carlins at different heights and angles to achieve a “Golden Ratio” cabin contour.
    Carlins from Starboard View.jpg
    Not happy with the swarm, we rigged the Mercury in lieu of finishing the deck and sides of the hull as originally intended.
    Rigging the Outboard.jpg
    Finally, rain finished our week, so we built a no nonsense, ergonomically correct helm station for us at 5 feet, 11 inches (180.34cm) height. We placed it inside the hull.
    A Tweak Here.jpg
    Next week we hope to finish the second coat of painting and fix the carlins and make the initial cabin contour walls.
    See you next week, stay safe stay healthy.

J.
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 05-17-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: missing words

Quote Originally Posted by SVTapatya View Post
    Wow!! She's looking great, Joe. Nice work!!
    Thank you for your kind remarks, SVTapatya. . .

We're in dire straights with weather and a swarm of "Lovebugs" that are ruining our plans. So we're going with alternate tasks:

Carlins.jpg
    Helm and Carlins

More during our regular Sunday post.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    Nice job on the engine! Love the last shot - looks like she's on plane! - inspector better hang on
    Thank you gray duck,

Here is another shot of the Mercury rigged. . .
    Mercury with Tanks and Battery.jpg

All the debris you see are the dead "Lovebugs" and pine tree pines blown into the hull by high winds!

More on the regular Sunday post.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

J.

Yes definitely a typical boat builder's dilemma. Makes no sense to me. Women are supposed to be into all things romantic and complain that men are devoid of romance, but what can possibly be more romantic than boats, dreams of the high seas and passing tall ships, the smell of tar and hemp, etc etc. The way of the winds and the seas I understand. The way of the ship I understand. The way of a woman, complete mystery. I wish you well on that front.
    Hey small boats rock,

All I can say to that is. . . AMEN!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.

Dag Kapiteinterzee, you're building a beautiful boat, well worthy for a captain. I always am looking forward to your posts, carry on. Succes!

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Great story. It seems like you are getting a lot done.

Never had the problem of spousal jealousy - she likes that I'm out in the garage and she's in the house.

Do you need to be talked into going to Quebec and Montreal in summer? They're fantastic then.

Keep up the great work.
    Hey minuteman,
    Yeah, a bit of spousal friction due to the Covid-19 thing, not so much with the build itself. But, her future vindication was assured when she spent 5 years as "First Mate" on a CC34 that we sailed the Pacific and Southern Oceans from San Diego, California to Valparaiso, Chile. So, anything she does now was more than recompensed by those adventures we shared.
    Attachment 60095
    Valkyrie in Chile.jpg
    As for Quebec and Montreal; I've been there and love the people, the culture and architecture. She's never been there so we had planned to visit this year - but - when the poo hit the ventilator blades. . . now we'll wait for better times; maybe spring/summer of 2021.

Be safe, stay healthy.

J.
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 05-17-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: attachment didn't show

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    Hey gray duck,

Forgot to place this photo of the little feathered guy you mentioned in your post. . . and yes, he keeps a watchful eye over the build and won't let any other Night Heron near the boat! Oh, and he doesn't poop it! [A plus in my book.]

The Supervisor on Bow 3.jpg

See ya on Sunday!

Stay safe stay healthy.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    Good work! The boat is really coming together. It's a different world working alone...I have done some 'interesting' rigging in order to get things in place. It might have looked like a spiderweb but it worked. Have the inspectors been by to take a look?
    Hey Powerwagon,

Working alone is a challenge as you already know. . . but the adrenaline rush after the task is done, especially when it turns out "as planned," is beyond words.

As for the local inspectors. . . called the Florida DMV (that handles boat registration) and got a person, after a fifteen minute wait, who didn't know anything about anything! He suggested we wait until this Covid-19 thing is over and make an appointment to the local office!

Not happy, we searched on line and found the application for home built boats and have it on the computer. However, we still have to wait until the Gov opens the agencies as The Florida Environmental Agency also gets into the act!

See ya on Sunday!

Stay safe stay healthy.

J.

kap- I meant the night heron shop inspector! she's looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Dag Kapiteinterzee, you're building a beautiful boat, well worthy for a captain. I always am looking forward to your posts, carry on. Succes!
    Hey dutchpp,

Thank you for your kind remarks. . . coming from a Dutch person, in Holland, is a treat as we've always had great respect for the people who made The Netherlands one of the greatest naval powers in history.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    Last edited by Kapiteinterzee; 05-21-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Sunday Morning, 24 May 2020
    Weekly Update

Having issues with this post. . . so here are the photos of the work we did this week.

The Carlins
    Carlins.jpgCarlin Fairing.jpg

The Deck Planks
    Bow for Deck Shaping.jpgGlassing the Deck.jpgDeck Ready to Fit.jpg

Sorry, not able to apply text.

Stay safe, stay healthy

Sunday, 31 May 2020
    Build Update for the Week

Hey All,
    This weekly update will be in five parts -

First - Where we are
    Second - The Helm
    Third - The Decks
    Forth - The Fuel Boxes
    Fifth - The Slipway & Closing for week
    Where we are this week
    Starboard.jpgPort Side.jpg

Looking Forward.jpgLooking Astern.jpg
    So, here we are after a week of rain and 100 degree (38C) weather.

See second post. . .