Thread: I need a good paint system

Default I need a good paint system

I知 working on a variety of projects with unpainted steel. I壇 like to find a good paint system, especially for the backside of the steel where it is going to be mounted to concrete.

I値l put the effort into good prep. Sandblasting may be more difficult at the remote location. But possible. I知 hoping I can get the same result with a acid prep since I have water. Or a self etching primer.

I could go with rustoleum, or visit a paint store like Sherwin Williams, but thought it might be worth checking to see if there were better products available that I am not aware of.

Thanks

Default Re: I need a good paint system

Hard to beat priming with red lead, if you can get it. Coal tar epoxy is another good primer. Check a boatyard that builds in steel. They will either use red lead or coal tar epoxy.

I do auto body and restoration work and all bare steel gets acid etched and epoxy primer. Epoxy primer is tough to sand so if not painting within an hr. I top coat the epoxy with polyester primer to get a chemical bond. The polyester primer is much easier to sand.

The cheapest system that seems to work well is:

1. Degrease and remove significant rust
    2. Ospho
    3. Zinc-rich primer coat (looks like red lead)
    4. Alkyd top coat(s)

I will frequently thicken the primer or topcoat paint with portland cement, then use finish coat straight up. Use self-priming paint for future overcoats.

In the shipyards that I have worked at in the past decade, International Paints were the product of choice. The parent company is Azko-Nobel. They are a world-wide industry leader in protective coatings, and I have found them very attentive and helpful in providing technical expertise and guidance. I would recommend that you contact the regional representative in your area to ask for guidance and recommendations for products and how-to advice for your specific application. There is no advice better than advice from the horse's mouth...

International Paint Protective Coating Center
    14000 Westfair East Drive
    Houston, Texas 77041
    United States of America
    281 571 4308
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

An epoxy system will be best. International are good.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Several good options.

I need a trip to Houston anyway.

Mixing Portland into paint is an interesting idea.

Hi,

You can't beat a good two part epoxy paint, but the real work is in the prep. Sandblasting is very important to remove the mill scale and provide the proper anchor pattern. While looking for paint, just find out who is your local industrial paint supplier and find out what they normally stock. Most brands will have very similar performance. In my area it was bar rust 235, but moved to amerlock 2/400 when PPG bought out Devoe paints. There are many marine specific paint guides, and it is best to follow this advice from industry.

Cheers,
    Mark

Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings Division. Most cities have a local product representative who will be happy to help with specifying a system. Sherwin Williams has an exceptional customer service program. I work in a structural engineering firm in a coastal city and consult with SW regularly.

For painting steel it is hard to beat a cold galvanizing paint.
    I bought some from Fastenal recently for a reasonable price. If you can sandblast first the claim is it will hold up as well as hot dipped, put it on with a brush.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0815248