Thread: Cellulose

Default Cellulose

Thanks Cleek. [/sarcasm] And if you think recycling clear thin plastic bags is actually cost effective, actually happening, or allowed in most town recycling programs, I invite you to do some research. (I'm not even going to address your "burn it" argument, holy hell).

No plastic is better than recycling plastic. Single-use plastic is terrible, especially thin clear plastic used to package foods or...magazines, which is almost never recycled or is impossible to recycle due to the type of multi-layer plastic that is used.

I'm good with one cover, no bag. I have much more expensive subs that come like this, with less stiff paper, and no problem.
    Last edited by callsign222; 02-25-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Default Re: Well, back to the plastic bag. Dumb, backwards move.

Read the explanation on page 9 in issue 273. The bag is cellulose, not plastic.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

HEY

Thank you very much for pointing this out.

WHY WAS THIS NOT PUBLISHED ON THE COVER like the double cover explanation was?

However, I'm still OK with no bag of whatever origin, and single cover.

And I'm going to test their "can be composted" hypothesis.

Wish I knew what this little tempest in a teapot was all about? Don’t have any idea of which Bob Cleek post or book is being discussed.

I did open the hatch to the Bilge, once...and decided I didn’t need to explore any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Wish I knew what this little tempest in a teapot was all about? Don’t have any idea of which Bob Cleek post or book is being discussed.

I did open the hatch to the Bilge, once...and decided I didn’t need to explore any further.
    Two posts down, brother.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...over-quot-idea

I stayed silent, confident that cooler heads would prevail, then went all hot-headed this morning going through the mail. It's an almost suspiciously perfect plastic-bag look-alike.

I'd change the thread title to acknowledge my mistake, but not possible on this board, unless there's a backdoor?
    Last edited by callsign222; 02-25-2020 at 10:05 AM.

I'm willing to bet some real money that the newest plastic-looking, but Non-plastic, outer bag is still un-recyclable. Because I am certain that if I were to take it to my local waste facility they will object to my placing it into the Mixed Recyclable Bin that accepts type 1 stuff or the Yard Waste Bin for the organic plant matter that goes to the compost facility. Why? Because they won't know by looking at it what it is composed of. If I composted at home, I guess there'd be no problem. But how many actually do that? Besides all that, I took one look at the cover, cut it open, and tossed the "plastic" into the trash. It looked like plastic to me.

By the way... my magazine came to me slightly damaged. It looked like the edge got pinched into the door of my mailbox or similar. It still reads OK.

Jeff

Hey, I'm still waiting to receive ​the January issue, so...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

It's late winter here in Northern WI, so not much is cooking in our compost bins outside by the garden, though I built them large enough to take a winter's worth of scraps. I put my cover in and will wait and see. I've read conflicting reports about whether these types of cellulose materials can be composted with home setups. We have a large digester at the college in town. It's pretty amazing and will turn meat and fish bones into dirt remarkably quick. Breaking down the new WB cover might require a composting infrastructure that runs hotter than mine. ps. for what it's worth, the latest issues of fine woodworking and the ruffed grouse society quarterly magazine arrived here in the hinterlands with no extra cover and both were unscathed and in pristine reading condition.

Default Re: Cellulose

Thanks Admin/Scot for the thread title change and toning it down for me.

Now maybe - since it's mailed from VT & I'm in VT - I got a leftover plastic one. It feels like plastic, stretches like plastic & I tried burning a small piece. Remember back when we were kids burning a plastic bag over the campfire to make "zips"? The burning plastic drips (spewing black smoke) made a zzzziiippp sound as they fell into the fire. The cover piece I burned did exactly that.

Not what anyone would call a scientific test - but I'll see if next month's is different.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Y'all aren't half wrapped around an axle of guilt are ya? Cancel the paper rag and opt for e-delivery if you feel so bad about the trash.
    https://sfsdata.com/woodenboatmag/subaddon.html
    Digital

1 Year Digital Subscription (6 issues) $26.00
    2 Year Digital Subscription (12 issues) $48.00
    3 Year Digital Subscription (18 issues) $69.00

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Y'all aren't half wrapped around an axle of guilt are ya? Cancel the paper rag and opt for e-delivery if you feel so bad about the trash.
    https://sfsdata.com/woodenboatmag/subaddon.html
    Digital

1 Year Digital Subscription (6 issues) $26.00
    2 Year Digital Subscription (12 issues) $48.00
    3 Year Digital Subscription (18 issues) $69.00
    You never truly own an e-book/mag.

How many electronic devices will I need to own over the course of the next 40 years to read "my" magazines? (I don't own a tablet)

We can run the sustainability numbers both ways on this but I prefer paper that will still work at transferring knowledge to me decades down the road, like my physical WB collection does now. Also, patina.

Again I can go with NO bag and NO second cover and be perfectly happy.

Pre bag I used to get my copies showing some obvious wear from postal folks thumbing through them. I always thought it was kinda cool that the magazine was being enjoyed by more than just me and hoped I inspired a few to sign up

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    You never truly own an e-book/mag.
    You are so right. I totally agree. I was ridiculing the argument.

Books never need batteries and unlike a tablet, they do not contain gps antennas or report to google what I read, when I read it or where I read it.