Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to the San Francisco Maritime Museum boat collection warehouse

Default A visit to the San Francisco Maritime Museum boat collection warehouse

Today I had an incredibly lucky and amazing opportunity. A good friend from Port Townsend, whom some of you may know (Jack Becker) works with the San Francisco Maritime museum to document a bunch of the boats in their collection, down to the tiniest detail. Hull lines, construction details, every dovetail joint, every tiny piece is drawn, photographed and measured. Plans are created, so that future builders can create the same boat. I have a sample of Jacks works, a similar project he did on a Langley 16 rowboat and it's impeccable. Well, Jack and his wife, Elizabeth are down here so he can work, and he invited me to visit the warehouse.

I took a mess of photos, but I could stay in there for DAYS and still keep busy. Over the next couple of weeks I'll add to this thread, but let's get started. Step into the warehouse and let the Park Service staff say "Hi"! Try to stop the drooling!

overview.jpg

Default Re: A visit to the San Francisco Maritime Museum boat collection warehouse

We'll start with an absolutely lovely little rowboat from the local Stone Boatyard. For DECADES....most of a century, if you ordered a little rowboat from Stone, this is what you got.

Stone1.jpg

All the boats are resting on loving created cradles, specific to each boat.

Stone-sideview.jpg

Default Re: A visit to the San Francisco Maritime Museum boat collection warehouse

The detail work is amazing.....note the cast bronze knees!

Stone-bronze-knees.jpg

more custom bronze....

Stone-breasthook.jpg

In the background of those photos you can see a faering. I've never actually seen a real one, and I think what blew me away the most was the fact that the planks are single, wide pieces of wood. THE WORK that went into sawing and shaping...

The SF Maritime Museum specializes in Bay Area, or at least West Coast boats, so this is a bit of an anomaly. However, if I remember rightly, the curator said he thought this boat dated from around 1900, making it one of the oldest boats in the collection.

faering1.jpg

This faering was a little bit inaccessible, being behind another boat, and on one of the elevated racks, but I did get a few detail shots showing the clenched nails and how the framing was made.

faering-thwart detail.jpg

thole pins. Or something like that! What are these called? Pity the oars weren't available.Can you see the clenched and hammered-over nails? If you look closely you can see how the joint between thwart (Not sure if that's what you call a crosspiece, across the hull that you don't sit on) and the rib is done.

IMG_3346.jpg
    Last edited by Alan H; 01-22-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Tomorrow..... close-ups of a 1920, locally built double-ended rowing shell.

and that's just the beginning....this thread will last for a couple of weeks, I think.

You're welcome! LOL

Wow, thanks for sharing this!

Indeed thanks! I'm guessing all that bronze in the rowboat doesn't make it light- but strong & pretty for sure.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Oh Yeah! Would love to see more of this!

A special collection for sure, not really open to the public but a volunteer is generally welcome.
    I think the oldest and most historically important "boat" is the "lighter". That one as excavated from under Market st. It dates to the gold rush. Made of some Chilean hardwood it was likely shipped here in the hold of a ship from Chile with a "cargo" of miners. That craft was of particular interest to me and I surveyed it carefully. I have pics in my phone somewhere... ( I think!)

apologies for the sideways pics.
    There, curated and in storage is also every manner of ships gear from deck winches, capstans and cannons to huge anchors.

9B58AFA0-2875-4153-9692-6475E9ACFA9C.jpg

9B63097F-098B-48C6-B5E7-41F5FCC74AC9.jpg

The lifeboat in the foreground is a replica (Port Orford Cedar and White Oak) and is one of 3 (If my memory serves) built by Ray Speck about 1980. I "walked" a few frames into her.

03978D58-1BD7-4D4D-B92F-1C62E3AB4E1F.jpg

weird, no pics! I'll try to edit them...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 01-22-2020 at 10:25 AM.

WOW! Great opportunity. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward t the next installment

OK, here's that double-ended rowboat! ...1920, and built right here in Alameda, not ten miles from the warehouse!

scull-1920-1.jpg

scull-1920-slidingseat.jpg

There's a view of the sliding seats....two.. Jack documents everything, down to the shape of the rollers, the length and profile of the tracks and the design of the bronze casting at the bottom of the foot braces.

yup, made right here in Alameda!
    oh, hey...you can get a look at the oars in that photo above, hmmm...
    scull-1920-makersmark.jpg

Here's a little detail showing the plank nailing....

IMG_3353.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

While I was a kid in a candy shop...getting me to move from one place to the next without stopping ten times in between, was a challenge, the next photogenic boat we looked at was this wonderful steam launch. It was apparently used as a small ferry on the Russian River. It was donated to the museum on the excellent trailer it's sitting on, so this boat gets "out" to public events, locally now and then.

SteamLaunch1.jpg

SteamLaunch-bronze.jpg

Note the dovetail joints in the bronze trim! The coaming is one piece of steam-bent wood, all the way 'round.

Last edited by Alan H; 01-24-2020 at 01:39 AM.

SteamLaunch-hull1.jpg

Isn't that a pretty butt?

SteamLaunch-hull2.jpg
    Last edited by Alan H; 01-24-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Jumping around a bit, to something that came up at the very end of the tour...you see this boring looking collection of cardboard boxes, and the big plastic crate next to it? Those are Al Mason's papers...drawings, writings...the whole shebang, though I hear from canoeyawl that Als' daughter, Anita kept some things back for a book she was writing.. I'd hoped that somewhere in there are the original drawings for the Ostkust, which is maybe my favorite little wood cruising sailboat but canoeyawl says "nope". I HAD to shoot a picture of it!

AlMason.jpg
    Last edited by Alan H; 01-24-2020 at 01:43 AM.

OK, enough re-sizing and uploading for this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    OK, enough re-sizing and uploading for this morning!
    Especially since the last 3 or 4 aren't showing. There seems to be some sort of issue folks get when uploading pics where it's considered an invalid upload or some such & just shows "Attachment 12345" or the like & other folks can't open it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

So I see....will delete and try again.

So I see....will delete and try again, though if I click on the link I can open it...hmm. I have to get to work, this might have to wait 'till tonight..

Select edit then delete and upload. Then close the window and reopen it to proof read. I have to do this with every post.

Thank you for the initial effort and the proof reading effort as well Alan.

Great thread. Thank you.

Egad what a treasure trove that is indeed! I, for one, am looking forward to more! I am especially happy to see examples of work from Lester Stone. My father had Lester's very first boat the "Pronto". That was back during WWII. Lester built the "Pronto" to show his own father he was ready to go into the boat building business with him. "Pronto" was a 28' gaff rigged sloop, that had a one lung "shake hands with Johothan" auxiliary in her. Some where I have pictures. The boat had a low deck house with a rounded forward end. I remember, dad saying, that the boat was considered to be the fastest boat, for her size, in San Francisco Bay back then.
    Lester later built the "Pronto II" which was about 45' on deck and was also a very slippery boat!
    Thank you for this great thread Alan!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 01-22-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Great thread. Keep it coming!
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    You should be able to replace your sideways photos with these Canoeyawl. (Don't remember your real name)

03978D58-1BD7-4D4D-B92F-1C62E3AB4E1F[1].jpg
    In this photo on the rack is a 10 foot hard-chine plywood dinghy. When I was there, it was right below El Toro #4, and the curator said it was a "Gremlin".

I've never heard of a Gremlin, but if anybody knows anything, I would SURE like to know more.

pfffftttt!!!!!

Seek, and ye shall find....except that this "Gremlin" is an 8 footer and what was in the collection is 10 feet LOA +/-

https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/gremlin-dinghy/

OK, fixed those busted attachments.

Sweet! What a collection of watercraft....must see it sometime.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    These floor timbers are gorgeous, are they in the steam launch?

Could your "Gremlin" be a Mirror? Doesn't look like one from this perspective...but then I never see mine from this perspective

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Could your "Gremlin" be a Mirror? Doesn't look like one from this perspective...but then I never see mine from this perspective
    Nope, it doesn't have all the internal structure of a mirror. I used to own one. This has less freeboard and a little less curve in the sheer and chine. There are fore and aft knees in this boat...a thwart with a daggerboard case just in front of it, and bench seats....not sealed-in... p&s in the aft 1/3 or the boat.

OK, let's walk around some more. Here's a pretty little 19-foot sailboat. My memory chips are not working, and I don't remember what this is. Canoeyawl?

unknown-sail2.jpg

I love the care with which the stands are custom-fitted to so many of these boats, though.

uknown-sail1.jpg