Thread: Flipping the hull

Default Flipping the hull

It won't be too long before I am ready to flip my Ninigret... I am still looking for ideas...
    I would like to do it myself or with maybe one or two guys helping me. Getting a dozen people together at once may prove more difficult than the flip itself!
    So my situation is: I have an 8 foot ceiling and a 6 foot 8 inch beam on the boat. 2x4 stud walls with 2x4 framed trusses above. It's all drywalled in, but that can go away if need be.
    I have thought of some different ways, but I don't want to get her up in the air and half flipped and find out that 'this is not going to work'....
    I am not opposed to building some kind of crate around her, but that also concerns me about my lack of room to flip with the low ceiling.
    I am open to any ideas and suggestions.
    Thanks
    Tim

Default Re: Flipping the hull

Build some simple timber gantrys and hang your hull in rope slings. The slings can be eased on one side and raised on the other. Keep doing that bit by bit and your hull will be rolled over.

Bring it outside to roll over?

old kid's swing sets can be found on CraigsList around here in the FREE section frequently

then use the sling method mentioned above

another thing that comes to mind is big truck innertubes on the floor for just rolling her w/ a rope system tied to opposite walls

or if you have access to a couple of portable mechanic's engine hoists and have attachment points on both ends you could simply lift each end and twirl it horizontally

i also use the twirling method to flip trailers(boat n utility) which are much heavier for working on the under side rather than crawling under them

i have been having to find ways to play solo for a while now and don't like putting myself in a bind

just this lazy old fat man's 2 worth

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Build some simple timber gantrys and hang your hull in rope slings. The slings can be eased on one side and raised on the other. Keep doing that bit by bit and your hull will be rolled over.
    Add some come alongs or block & tackle to add mechanical advantage

I made a great system that allowed me to do some complex repairs from comfortable positions.

In essence two straps, each going up over a pair of rollers spaced as widely as the beam. The straps ended in D rings and were long enough that when the boat was inverted and as low as I'd ever want the D rings were just inboard of the gunnels. A couple wraps of line connected the ends. It was easy to adjust the height just by pulling those lines. I had a retaining line between the straps to keep things from slipping off the bow or stern.

This system was easy to turn the boat, just mind that point where the gunnels approach vertical of each other and the boat really want's to go one way or the other.

G'luck

The time I spent stewing about how I was going to flip my boat turned out to be silly and much ado about nothing. And Tim, like you I had very little extra height in my shop relative to the boat's beam. The engine hoist method mentioned by swoody is what I used. Additionally, I employed a strap/bearing assembly in the middle as an "insurance policy". The flipping was a bit of a celebration so there were a number of friends on hand, but I could have done the process by myself. I will admit that I got lucky where the fore and aft pivot bolts were placed. It's hard to see in the photo - there's a swivel above the carabiner to keep the chain from kinking.

However you do it you may want to reinforce the sheer with temporary rails and add one or two spreader bars midships or so.

Old tires make good cushions but they can be marking. An old blanky or a tarp helps with that.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-22-2020 at 01:02 PM.

You can run a line around the boat such that you will be lifting from one rail. Tie it to the spreader bar so it doesn't slip around the hull then run it thru a block up at the ceiling and haul on it with a come along over at the wall. You'll want bow and stern lines to keep it from squirming around in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by bheys View Post
    The time I spent stewing about how I was going to flip my boat turned out to be silly and much ado about nothing. And Tim, like you I had very little extra height in my shop relative to the boat's beam. The engine hoist method mentioned by swoody is what I used. Additionally, I employed a strap/bearing assembly in the middle as an "insurance policy". The flipping was a bit of a celebration so there were a number of friends on hand, but I could have done the process by myself. I will admit that I got lucky where the fore and aft pivot bolts were placed. It's hard to see in the photo - there's a swivel above the carabiner to keep the chain from kinking.

This is kind of what I'm thinking, with a chainfall at each end. I have one already, and for another 40 bucks at harbor freight I can get another one.
    The bow eye could work for the front. I'd have to rig something for the stern, and then fill the holes after...
    I guess I'm leery about getting the balance right...so it doesn't get away from me. But I think it might just be the best option with the 8 foot ceiling.
    Think I can lift and spin the hull on a 3/8" eyebolt on either end? I'm guessing she'll weigh about 500 pounds.

I plan on leaving all the cross spalls in place for the flip.

if you're thinking about spinning the boat by yourself, I'd stay away from the "spinning on two eyebolts" idea. once moved a few degrees, gravity will want to exert it's full powers, and you may not be able to control the movement. besides a "home depo 3/8" Ibolt is a bit on the "thin" side..maybe a 3/8ths "shouldered eye" bolt- the two slings around the hull method is a lot more forgiving for a "one man project"(even for multiple people). your ceiling height seems fine....2X4's aren't the ideal but the second part of the equation is " how far do they span?"... of course spanning a few of the 2x4s will spread the load over a greater number of joists -to your advantage
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 02-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.

I kept mine from getting away with various lines to posts in the shop, allowing just a little bit at a time. It was pretty easy actually.

Get hold of John Guzzwell's book and see if the method he advocates can be used.If it can you should have full control without the need for an army of helpers.

2 sets of pulleys on each side worked, raising one side, slacking the other with an 8' beam and 10' clearance.

Once it got near vertical, pushed it over, very controlled. Didn't know that before hand, so the whole operation turned out to not be scary.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Taking the long view, you are probably going to lift the boat at least once more to get a trailer under it and down the road bring it back in for maintenance so maybe something more permanent? Assuming you have access to those roof trusses (by the building code I believe you should) why not pick an appropriate pair and beef them up? Screw and glue some plywood gussets on over the cheesy staples they most likely used, add a few extra braces near your lift points and just like that you have a couple of big girders to hang your chain hoists from.

This is what I did for flipping Marianita:
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

What do I see there?... A rod ran through two links of the chain, and the strap rides/turns on that? What happens when you get vertical, or to the gunnel?
    Or does the hull just slide around in the strap?

Steve, if you'd replace those chain links w/ pullies and use rope you could turn/roll her over easier and solo

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

The idea was to create an axle using a long bolt with bit of pipe that the webbing would roll around. I used the webbing to distribute the load over a wider surface than rope would have had. My axles had a lot more friction than I thought they would but between them and the hull sliding on the webbing there was enough overall movement that I flipped the 19'-9" hull by myself (much to my lovely wife's consternation). The picture was taken after I had removed the aft mold, she was well braced for the roll-over. The c-clamps along the sheer kept the webbing from sliding "down" the hull as it rolled.
    Steve

R.D Culler

You know the old story about the guy that built a boat in his basement and couldn't get it out? Well, I had enough door for the boat but not the trailer so built this gantry thing. Dragging the boat out on her build frame was one of the few times I actually used the bumper-mounted winch on the Bronco for something other than keeping her nose down. Chain hoists are great but the chain can wreak havoc on your freshly painted boat if you aren't very careful.
    Steve

R.D Culler

I considered all sorts of ways of turning over the Ohio Sharpie. I estimated it weighed about 300 lbs then. I finally hit upon a simple method, five Mexicans and a teen age gringo. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I considered all sorts of ways of turning over the Ohio Sharpie. I estimated it weighed about 300 lbs then. I finally hit upon a simple method, five Mexicans and a teen age gringo. It worked.
    You do know that you can't mention your Ohio Sharpie without including of photo of it..... don't you?

Smile Re: Flipping the hull

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

You know the old story about the guy that built a boat in his basement and couldn't get it out? Well, I had enough door for the boat but not the trailer so built this gantry thing. Dragging the boat out on her build frame was one of the few times I actually used the bumper-mounted winch on the Bronco for something other than keeping her nose down. Chain hoists are great but the chain can wreak havoc on your freshly painted boat if you aren't very careful.
    What a beautiful boat !!!!!! OMG !!!!! Perfect for PNW!!!!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Thanks, she's taught me a lot.

Back on subject, the February 2020 edition of our host's "Small Boats Monthly" has a nice article on a DIY gantry crane. Well explained with lots of pictures for someone to make their own.
    Steve

R.D Culler

regarding flipping:
    I did see on youtube an interesting method that I will be trying this spring: two straps wrapped around the hull 1 time, then lowered on one side of the boat and hoisted up on the other........did flip the boat very nicely.
    Here is the set up, just needs long straps wrapped around the hull one time

Fela 21.jpg
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    You do know that you can't mention your Ohio Sharpie without including of photo of it..... don't you?
    Timo, I have good intentions to post a number of photos when she rolls out of the garage for the first time, and at launching. I even have photos of here still in frame, upside down in the garage with me standing proudly along side. I still must learn how to post pictures.

Things have been going very slowly although there is little left to do. My wife has been less than well and I will be 88 in march. I should have started building her twenty years ago and then I would have had time to build another boat. "Too soon old and too late smart".

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I still must learn how to post pictures.

• Take the pic and upload it to your computer.

Click on the square "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box.

Select "From Computer".

Now click on "Select Files".

That will give you a box where you can find your photos that are on your computer.

Click on the photo you want to post. The name of the photo will appear in the box.

Click on "Upload File(s)" and wait until it is uploaded.

Click on "Post Quick Reply". The photo won't actually show full size until you post the reply.

Save these instructions for further use. Once you've done it a few of times it becomes intuitive.

IMG_3918.jpg
    Huh. That does work. I never could get a photo to upload directly. Timo, exciting! watching with interest.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

For a solo dory roll, maybe 200 pounds I rigged a PVC roller. It ran on a metal pipe hung from a couple of big eyebolts. I made up a couple of rope slings with pads. Had to play with the rope slings a little so knots wouldn't fetch up on the roller or on the boat. The boat has to be high enough when you start so that the gunwale won't hit the floor.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."