Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cordless drill rant

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: cordless drill rant

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Not much good with a 2” hole saw.

Tomorrow, a chum and I will apply GunwaleGuard to a pram. It’ll require drilling about 130 holes and driving about 130 screws. The battery tools are essential for a job like this.
    not much good for anything except installing broken rusting drill bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
    Automatic battery lastís forever.
    Attachment 53372
    I inherited one from my late Father-in-law - without the factory packaging . . .

I don't love the Ryobi series, but they are good enough, and cheap enough that I can keep sets at various locations - garage, boatshop, off-grid cabin, wife's craft room, in-law's house, truck, boat. Probably have 30 or 40 different tools, from shop-vac to oscillating multi-tool to weed-whacker that all use the same battery. Every few years they upgrade the technology, and the chargers, but every battery works with every tool, even 20+ years old.

None are as good as a dedicated corded (or high-end cordless) tool, (for example the little shop-vac only runs about 10 minutes on a charge) but life is all about trade-offs.

The big crisis came last year, when one of the 3 or 4 chargers in the garage (I couldn't figure out which unit) malfunctioned and started destroying all my batteries. I ended up recycling a bunch of dead batteries, and all the suspect chargers. Home Despot had a sale, 4 batteries and a charger for $99 or so, and I stocked up with the latest.

I finally had to get an after market 18v battery for my Dewalt cordless and a 14v for that drill. They both went 20 years so I was quite happy. Unfortunately you can't find them at Home Despot anymore as they've gone to the lithium 20v. Regardless, I was pleased with the longevity I got.
    Retired. I do what I want, when I want.

The generation that keeps buying new powertools and binning old stuff, plugging in rather than using hand tools now like braces, hand drills and hand planes, that's what's now obsolete.

Younger people are rediscovering and understanding the tools their grandfather made and used - planes, braces, hand routers etc.

Besides the battery materials, CO2 to make the products, you avoid the set up time, breathing in dust, getting sensitised and having to spend time cleaning it all up. Powertools aren't necessarily efficient all told.

The sight of injured and burned Koalas and Kangeroos in Australia I found profoudly disturbing. My actions in the UK are killing animals in Australia. Just a small fragment of the problem we're facing, but as the metaphor is, a small butterfily flapping it's wings in the UK is having profound effects elsewhere. That goes for all of us.

I've personally decided, as far as possible, to stop using electric tools for boatbuilding. I've just invested in more old hand tools: a suite of classic Stanley and Record planes, Millers falls drills and braces even a hand router. Learning how to use them after I restored: it's been alot of fun and develops craftsmanship and better quicker more skilled working for the most part. I can't say other people should live, but there was a plane or brace or bit for everything. I've come to realise if your plugging in, you've missed a trick or a tool. Can't see me getting rid of the thicknesser just yet though.

The UK and USA has a rich history and heritage of hand tool and tool steel manufacturing. All these tools are out there, cheap (usually) and just need restoring and put back into use. De-powering is how I consider it.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-24-2020 at 09:12 AM.

I have been buying aftermarket 18v batteries for my dewalts on Amazon for about $15 each. I have many hand drills and braces and like tools I am ready to sell....Can't take them with me...