Thread: M.Storer's suggestion for balanced lug halyards

Default M.Storer's suggestion for balanced lug halyards

I recently came across Michael Storerís website in which he writes at length about setting up the rigging on a balanced lug. I was particularly interested in his system of using the halyard to hold the yard tight to the masthead. Member Canoeyawl posted a very clear drawing of this in April 2009 and says it works very well for him.

I would like to try this system on my Passagemaker. The only problem I have is that M.Storer's instructions specify the attachment of a block should be in the mid point of the yard through which the halyard then passes.

The basic instructions in the passagemaker kit book require a hole drilled in the yard at 103 cm from the front of the yard. The halyard passes through this hole, is knotted below the yard and then passes through a hole in the masthead. Drawing on the halyard brings the yard into what I have assumed to be the correct position ie. Level with the masthead. If I use Mr Storer's attachment point (mid yard) it would surely draw the whole thing too far forward. Maybe I have misunderstood something. Perhaps one should stop hauling on the halyard before the block and the masthead hole come together leaving some centimeters of mast free as I have noticed in some photos of lug rigs.

I would be very grateful for any advice balance lug user can provide. Where I sail everything is very high tech so there is no point asking around locally.

Default Re: M.Storer's suggestion for balanced lug halyards

I think the positioning of the block on the yard is somewhat arbitrary, and depends on the cut of the sail.
    I just tied a rope stropped block onto the yard with a rolling hitch (for spars, see Ashley's book) so it can be moved or removed. It never slipped. Once I established "the place" I added a small thumb cleat to the yard.
    You could lash or seize any sort of block on there. Use plenty of chafing gear on the yard. I had leather like an oar for several feet in the area of concern.
    Try it and see how it sets and sails.
    (That drawing pops up all over the internet now, it is nice to see a credit! Thank you)

Thank you. I will certainly follow your suggestions

You've seen this currently-active thread, right?
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...anced-Lug-Yard
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Yes thank you. Many good ideas

I used that method for a while. I found that I lost a little but of height on how far I could hoist the yard, which meant the boom was lower than it would normally be.

If the boat is designed with a slightly taller mast to compensate, then it is no doubt a good system.

However, it's easy enough to experiment. No need to use expensive blocks or to screw anything to the yard. A test rig can be set up using lashings and stainless steel rings or shackles. Once you know if it works for your combination of mast and yard, you can consider better and more permanent fittings.

I’ve been meaning to try this. Thanks for the reminder.

I really dislike the idea of drilling a hole through the yard (at the point where the stress on it is most concentrated, no less) for attaching a halyard. First of all, it is absolutely not needed when a rolling hitch is perfectly capable of holding its position for decades without slipping and without weakening the yard. Secondly, the exact position of that hitch can be adjusted as needed to find the spot where it actually does work best. Committing yourself to one spot only, without testing, and weakening the yard in the process is a mistake you probably don't want to make.

Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone has suggested drilling a hole through the yard to attach the halyard. I agree that would be a strange thing to do, limiting your options and weakening the yard at a crucial place.

People sometimes drill holes through the ends of the yard for lashing the throat or peak into place. All other fittings on the yard can either be held in place with any of various hitches, or, if preferred, with screwed fittings.

The basic instructions in the passagemaker kit book require a hole drilled in the yard at 103 cm from the front of the yard. The halyard passes through this hole, is knotted below the yard and then passes through a hole in the masthead.
    That was what it sounded like to me. Do you have a different interpretation for this statement?

I said, "Unless I missed it." Looks like I missed it!

Sounds like an idea I would not choose to implement on my boat!

Incidentally, I said in an early reply on this thread that I'd used this system myself. I had assumed without reading the first post carefully that it was a version I'd seen numerous times before, without the hole drilled in the yard. I know M Storer knows far more about boats than I ever will, but I really do not understand why he'd drill a hole in that place.
    Last edited by Cormorant27; 03-15-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I am definitely going to experiment with this idea even at the expense of slightly lower boom. I had noticed photos of lugs which showed some mast above the yard and wondered if I was doing something wrong hauling it up to masthead. Unfortunately there is no-one local to ask about it.Thank you for the comment..

A rolling hitch (with a stopper in the bitter end) offered the most hoist for me. It never slipped, but if you were worried, a small bump glued onto the yard above the hitch will stop it for sure.
    (Note* this hitch can be tied in two directions, for attachment to a spar the line should lead as shown, for attachment to a line or hawser the lead should be opposite or against the single turn)
    hthe image shown here is sort of upside down for a halyard application!)

Here is another one which works well.

topsail.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Here is another one which works well.

topsail.jpg
    Oooh! Yoink!

Peace,
    Robert

These traditional bends are great, but I always fear they won't grip my rectangular section spars securely. They look designed to sit snug on a round section spar. My yard has a small strap eye, not to take any weight itself, but just enough to stop the halyard from slipping along the yard.

Round it off.

But doesn't the method in question - using the halyard to hold the yard against the mast -- require a block stropped to the yard. The halyard then passes through the block, around the back of the mast, and is then made off at the heel of the yard. This holds the yard to the mast when the sail is reefed, but allows the yard to be slid back in the boat when it is dropped, whether to stow it or tie in and release reefs.

I did try this on both Margalo's 75 sq. ft and Terrapin's 150 sq. ft. balanced lug mains. It works nicely on the smaller sail, but not so well on the bigger one. There, I didn't find it held the yard in place solidly enough, and also gave more friction than I wanted when dropping it. So that sail now has the halyard through a block on the yard to a ring of parrel beads. When the sail is dropped and halyard eased, I can still slide the yard back.
    Last edited by Woxbox; 03-17-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    -Dave

Yes, you use the rolling hitch at the forward end of the yard.
    With a bit of care making up the hitch it will grip just fine on a square spar

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    So that sail now has the halyard through a block on the yard to a ring of parrel beads. When the sail is dropped and halyard eased, I can still slide the yard back.
    I'd be interested in a diagram, photo, or more detailed description of that if you have the time to do so, please. I can't quite visualise the route the halyard is taking to the parrel beads.

I have stopped my various attempts to use the halyard round the mast approach. I find that a ring of parrel beads sometimes jams, and doesn't hold the yard as close to the mast as I'd like.

Long term plan is to consider a rigid mast traveller, but I'd like to avoid that expense if I can.

Like this. There's a beefy knot on the end of the halyard so that it doesn't jam in the block. And to that, a lighter line with the parrel beads. I haven't had it rigged like this for long, but it has worked as I wanted, and in some very gusty conditions.

Lug Rig Halyard to parrel.jpg
    -Dave

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Like this. There's a beefy knot on the end of the halyard so that it doesn't jam in the block. And to that, a lighter line with the parrel beads. I haven't had it rigged like this for long, but it has worked as I wanted, and in some very gusty conditions.

Lug Rig Halyard to parrel.jpg
    Thank you, I appreciate that. Makes sense.

Tried that set up in the garden today. The problem was that the friction as the yard got 2/3 way up the mast became so great it would not go further. Experimented with a second line used as a snotter outlined by:

Lugsail Yard Parrels - Ross Lillistone Wooden Boats

That looks as if it will work and I look forward to trying it when allowed to venture out of lockdown again. (beaches closed, lakes banned, etc)

Try it without the parrel beads or knots...