Thread: Cordless Chainsaw

Default Cordless Chainsaw

Not as young as I used to be and I am fed up with fussing with gas powered chainsaws, to say nothing of putting up with the racket. I have a couple of corded electric saws that use to cut up firewood and do light chores around the cottage but it isn't practical to drag the damn cords all over the place. I have been doing a bit of research and it looks as is the Milwaukee cordless saw has some pretty good reviews. Anybody here have any experience with these saws? Not cheap and I would expect that it would be a plan to have more than one battery.

Default Re: Cordless Chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    Not as young as I used to be and I am fed up with fussing with gas powered chainsaws, to say nothing of putting up with the racket. I have a couple of corded electric saws that use to cut up firewood and do light chores around the cottage but it isn't practical to drag the damn cords all over the place. I have been doing a bit of research and it looks as is the Milwaukee cordless saw has some pretty good reviews. Anybody here have any experience with these saws? Not cheap and I would expect that it would be a plan to have more than one battery.
    Don't have any experience with that Milwaukee one but Stihl has been doing this for several years now. They have a range of capacities all the way up to an actual backpack that you wear for the battery. My only recommendation would be the longer you wait the better that this system is going to get. I have 4 saws that I maintain myself and another 6 that I maintain for a friend of mine and I hear you it's a real pain in the butt dealing with the gas saws especially with the ethanol. I'm going to be switching over to electric myself here pretty soon but I've been waiting for the cost to come down and the battery capacity to increase.

Hi

take a look at this:

best cordless saw i ever used!

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B073X...118350&sr=8-25

best wishes

Christian

P.S. i am serious about this! i do not want to fool you!

I too have heard good things about the Stihl electric saws. I will say that I got a Ryobi one in a kit (18 volt) & it's completely useless.

For small trimming (up to 2" branches & the like) I find the cordless sawzall with an aggressive blade works surprisingly well.

As far as ethanol in chainsaw gas goes - just don't do it. Non-ethanol gas is more expensive - but worth every penny. Here's a site that lists 'em. The link shows VT, but there's a spot in the middle to choose any other state/province: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VT
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I've used my Dad's DeWalt cordless. It's a 60volt, lithium ion battery.

Works well. Seems good for about :30 mins of cutting. So, if you have 2 charged batteries you're good for the kind of firewood cutting that most people do. It's lightweight, too.

My next chainsaw will be one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I too have heard good things about the Stihl electric saws. I will say that I got a Ryobi one in a kit (18 volt) & it's completely useless.

For small trimming (up to 2" branches & the like) I find the cordless sawzall with an aggressive blade works surprisingly well.

As far as ethanol in chainsaw gas goes - just don't do it. Non-ethanol gas is more expensive - but worth every penny. Here's a site that lists 'em. The link shows VT, but there's a spot in the middle to choose any other state/province: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VT
    I have a few 18v Ryobi tools. I don't think 18v would be much good as a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    I have a few 18v Ryobi tools. I don't think 18v would be much good as a chainsaw.
    It's not

It came as part of a kit: drill, skilsaw, sawzall, light, etc. I gave it a try a couple of times & it would cut a 2" branch almost as quickly as the sawzall with an aggressive blade...

Real electric chainsaws are nothing like this thing though.

I have a Greenworks 40V chainsaw, I have cut through a few 14" logs with it, does the small amount of work that I need it for.

I did some research last year, but haven't purchased one.

The Stihl seems like the pro version. More expensive, but worth it if you need it.

Then it's: Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt

First question - do you already own cordless tools of one of those brands? That would decide it for me.

If not, any of the three will work. I own cordless tools of the first two, so DeWalt is out for me. But even starting fresh, it seems like they are #3 of 3. Heavier. A smidgeon less battery life, I seem to recall. And they use one big block of a battery where the other two use a pair of 18v. The latter approach makes it easier to swap batteries around with other cordless tools - if that matters to you. Also - as a brand, DeWalt is more variable. Some of their tools are the best of the bunch in their category... some far less so. No personal experience with the chainsaw to say where on the spectrum it falls. Milwaukee & Makita are more reliably good across the board.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

i bought my wife one for her birthday a couple of years ago
    she remains to this day unamused by it
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Check out AvE's Youtube reviews. He purchases new power tools, rips them apart to review build quality, then reassembles and tests them. He has reviewed several electric chainsaws. He seems to like the Milwaukee better than Dewalt.

If you are easily offended by bad language, don;t go near him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55Dw0-VEeY

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    My wife wants one. I said wait until batteries improve and costs come down.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Huh - the ryobi one I complained about above was part of a kit I gave M a few years ago. She was tickled!

Tickling your wife with a chainsaw. That's quite an image. Is it better cordless?

Was that the year I suggested she might like a fishing rod?

I have a Dewalt older 40 volt. 16 in bar. Love it. Starts every time ! Cuts well. Battery out lasts my back, which ain’t sayin much anymore !

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Was that the year I suggested she might like a fishing rod?
    it was the year after i got her the welding machine
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

it was the year after i got her the welding machine
    Did that strike a spark?

Also - did you try my suggestion from the other thread?

Is decided on DeWalt cordless tools: chainsaw, drill, skilsaw, vacuum, etc. Very pleased with all of them. Each runs for as long as I need on a single battery.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Thanks all ;I've printed this .I wasn't sure such saws existed . I've been thinking about combining such a saw with an Alaskan saw mill attachment and a ripping chain ,then going to where the apple trees and prunings are disposed of in North Georgia . I'd get material for some boat frames and maybe some wild ass furniture .The bent boughs would be dealt with on the spot ,being worked roughly parallel sided ; making them light and compact enough to carry away in my pickup and store in the city .The Alaska mill will add significant weight.I like the idea of a Stihl with the batteries placed on the ground next to the work ,or in a backpack .

Ripping with a chainsaw is pretty hard work. Might be a bit of a stretch for a cordless.

Your may be right . I could easily limit myself to a 4 inch width of cut though .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ripping with a chainsaw is pretty hard work. Might be a bit of a stretch for a cordless.

That would be my strong suspicion as well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

I also agree. If you do go this route, be sure to refile the chainsaw teeth for ripping. It will go easier than the normal crosscut teeth on a chain. I don't think this will be enough, though. Gas powered is the way to go for this job.
    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Just ask Thom.

He knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomRose View Post
    I also agree. If you do go this route, be sure to refile the chainsaw teeth for ripping. It will go easier than the normal crosscut teeth on a chain. I don't think this will be enough, though. Gas powered is the way to go for this job.
    Or cut the crooks onsite but bring home to dress on a band saw. OK, buy a band saw.