Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circular saw safety

Default Re: Circular saw safety

Then there are the circular saws that are designed for cutting mild steel plate. Mine is an Excalibur. It will ease through 1/4" with little problem and handles 3/16" (what I bought it for) easily, leaving a crisp edge on both sides. It makes quite a racket though!

I never use it freehand... always with a straight edge guide fence.

Jeff

When the blade is backwards use the right foot and the left hand, say no? / Jim

Early in life I never liked "skill saws"; never used one for a complete project until I was in my 50's, at wjioch point I built a deck for our home. As one who usually can quickly perceive what might go wrong in a given potentially dangerous situation, "skill saws" never seemed worth the risks. Well, the deck went well enough, using an old Craftsman that had belonged to my wife's first husband, but there were things about it I just didn't like. So I gave the Craftsman to one of her adult sons and bought a virtually new Milwaukee from ReTool. I've since built two more decks with it. It's a dream to use (good carbide blade) and I never hesitate to get it out to whap off a 2x6 or anything else where it is an appropriate tool.

Porter-Cable sidewinder for me. Magnesium sole. Right-bladed 'cause I'm a lefty.

I made up a knock-down cutting grid for breaking ip plywood. Also an 8 foot long flush cutting guide. Clamp it to the cut line and run the saw down the fence. Much safer.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Ok guys. I'll gonna need some pics.

My wee one
    (I use this all the time)

my new to me 15 inch "big one"
    (the plane is 12" long)

6C626BD4-B16B-4D7A-8B16-1434F91EAB6D.jpg

Beam saws make me think you should lift weights before using

That itty-bitty P-C is the beat saw ever for plywood.

And those 16-inch Makita beam saws scare the bejusus outta me.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

My cutting grid is pretty much this one. Sites on a pair of saw horses. 3/4 ply, just 'causeI had scrap plywood to make it from.

The one in the picture is 2x stock.

But, whatever is cheap. When the it gets too trashed by saw cuts, you build another one.

https://cdn.woodsmith.com/files/issu...ting-table.pdf

I read through the responses and the major causes of accidents were covered. However it would be impossible to list all the ways a person can be foolish and hurt themselves. A lot of injuries are caused by people trying to save themselves a minimal amount of effort to set up properly. Keep in mind the cost of risk versus reward. Doing it this way I will save 2 minutes but I might cut off my fingers if it goes wrong. Seems like a no brainer but people do it all the time.