Thread: Pics of Atkins' boats

Default Pics of Atkins' boats

Sometimes I just like to look through the Atkin plans checking out all the different offerings...
    Some of the designs have some pics of boats that have been built, but many do not.
    Any body have pics of their Atkin designed boat to share?
    Surely there must be more out there that don't show on the Atkin designs website.
    What do ya got?

Default Re: Pics of Atkins' boats

I've got a fleet of Atkin boats.

Begaduce:

There was a build thread but photobucket trashed it.

Maid of Endor:

Another thread was ruined there.

And finally Julia, an Ingrid Ketch.

Actually it looks like the Bagaduce thread is still alive:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...kin-s-Bagaduce

Which is great because I like that boat very much! I was not familiar with the design. It even looks like something I might be able to build. Hmm.... Would a Volvo MD1 be too big for that boat?

- Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Forumite Dmede built Atkin's Maude & Emeline, (which is for sale) photos here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/373274...7606422267083/

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

My friend Riley Hall's "Little Water Sr." currently for sale in Rhode Island.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.11.47 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Actually it looks like the Bagaduce thread is still alive:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...kin-s-Bagaduce

Which is great because I like that boat very much! I was not familiar with the design. It even looks like something I might be able to build. Hmm.... Would a Volvo MD1 be too big for that boat?
    Yes still alive, but watermarked into oblivion.

The power of an MD1 is about right, maybe on the high side. The size and weight are the limiting factor. It could be made to work I'm sure, but there is no bilge to sink that big flywheel into.

I've been giving serious thought to converting mine to electric. Seems a good place for it, I never do multi-day trips on the boat and the silence would be very welcome after the air cooled stationary engine I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsDad View Post
    My friend Riley Hall's "Little Water Sr." currently for sale in Rhode Island.
    I know Riley did quite a bit of work, do you know why he is selling and is there an advert up anywhere with latest pictures?

See Noble Cab, a 34' cabin launch on Alex Hadden's website: www.haddenboat.com
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

afloat2.jpg

Blow Fish is built to William Atkin's Perigee design. My version eliminated the cockpit and extended the cabin aft, but otherwise is a Perigee including her gaff rig, though I did use dyneema in place of wire for the standing rigging.

Here's the Living Boat Trust's Gretchen after major work.
    gretchen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I know Riley did quite a bit of work, do you know why he is selling and is there an advert up anywhere with latest pictures?
    Riley moved back west, doing a major restoration at the Harbor History Museum in Gig Harbor. He did a lovely job on "Davey Lewis"; there is talk among his friends about sailing her to Penobscot Bay this summer, to accompany the Atlantic Challenge training session.
    https://providence.craigslist.org/bo...053863436.html

^ Thank you SalsDad. Bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ^ Thank you SalsDad. Bargain.
    Bargain?! That’s a steal.

Damn.

Peace,
    If Only...

Feel like I have seen her out..I have a mooring in Bullocks!

She was on a mooring in Warren (now Holiday's mooring, since the harbormaster refused to allow us to moor a wooden boat in East Providence and sailed around the Bay for a couple years. Now on the hard in Bristol.

- I sent you an email, MalabarJr -

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I've got a fleet of Atkin boats.

Begaduce:

There was a build thread but photobucket trashed it.

Maid of Endor:

Another thread was ruined there.

And finally Julia, an Ingrid Ketch.

Boat hog! I didn’t know you had a Maid of Endor. She’s pretty! Like... whoa!

Peace,
    Jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by SalsDad View Post
    She was on a mooring in Warren (now Holiday's mooring, since the harbormaster refused to allow us to moor a wooden boat in East Providence and sailed around the Bay for a couple years. Now on the hard in Bristol.

- I sent you an email, MalabarJr -
    Ah ha yeah He can be a little gruff but he is a good guy IMO. Just read your e-mail. We should chat for sure. I may just do the mooring this year and give up my slip in Apponaug but I have been there a while and the marina is starting to fill up so I'm not sure what I will do about that because I really like my spot there too and don't want to lose it permanently. I use the mooring as a getaway during the season when it is just too crowded at the Marina. I'll give you a shout at some point.
    Last edited by MalabarJr; 02-18-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks to all for sharing these. I am an Atkin fan, and always enjoy seeing fotos.

Also - if you have Atkin fotos, but haven't shared them to the Atkin website, let me suggest you do so. I know Pat Atkin would appreciate it, as would John K. who put the site together.

Love these designs, I have notes on my desk to order plans soon. I'm going with simple so i know it will get done sooner. I Still have a penobscot 17 unfinished here but I still feel the need to order plans for either scandal or C. G. Junior both pretty skiffs.

I have a friend who once worked for West Sail who owned an Atkins Ingred as his own boat. The two are about the same in length but light years apart in hull design! His sailed and theirs didn't. Most of the workers and members of the schooner faction in our area referred to the West Sail as the "Worst Sail", a boat that had lots of space below in a fat hull in order to carry enough stores for a long voyage in order to keep the crew alive until land was sighted and the anchor was down. Some freelancers built them of ferro cement and the do it youself yards were filled with half finished hulks until the land developers came to call.
    Bird

Mr. Madison, are there any plans to finish that little Maid of yours? I miss that thread and lusted after that boat when I was much younger.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I guess I started it...and now I guess I have my own to add...

IMGP1285.jpg
    Last edited by timo4352; 10-13-2021 at 09:28 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I have a friend who once worked for West Sail who owned an Atkins Ingred as his own boat. The two are about the same in length but light years apart in hull design! His sailed and theirs didn't. Most of the workers and members of the schooner faction in our area referred to the West Sail as the "Worst Sail", a boat that had lots of space below in a fat hull in order to carry enough stores for a long voyage in order to keep the crew alive until land was sighted and the anchor was down. Some freelancers built them of ferro cement and the do it youself yards were filled with half finished hulks until the land developers came to call.
    Bird
    Ingrid is a much faster boat than Westsail....it is also quite a bit longer and heavier.
    Ingrid has not won a Transpac,Westsail has.

this thread popped up at a great time, can anyone put a name on the below design?
    first saw it for sale on ebay with a huge hole in the side after going aground in a storm maybe 10 years ago, then it got fixed up and sold. Seems to have had less and less attention over time and not in a great state now.
    Theres a lot going on for a 30ft hull length, it seems like something that might have looked better on paper than in practice... it still catches my eye from certain angles though
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture1.jpg

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-10080...utter?spr=true