Thread: Building Doug Hylan's Beach Pea

Default Building Doug Hylan's Beach Pea

Hello,

I'm Alan Robinson, I live in Victoria Australia, and I'm new to the forum.

I'm intending to build Doug Hylan's Beach Pea, and have purchased, the plans and been on several related forums here, to get as much information as I can before starting.

Doug supplies a very detailed set of instructions with the plans, from which it is very clear how to proceed with the rowing version of this boat, which is what I intended to build originally.

However, I have been giving some thought to building the sailing version, and I don't seem to be able to get the same quality of information on how the centreboard trunk and centreboard are built and installed, or how the actual centreboard mechanism works. I think I can see how this works on the plans, but am not sure.

Most builders who have shared their work on the internet, or in this forum, seem to have done the rowing version and there are lots of photos of those builds.

Can anyone please guide me to some information, and illustrations, on builds of the sailing versions of Beach Pea

Alan

Default Re: Building Doug Hylan's Beach Pea

Welcome to the Forum!

The search tool here is OK but can't do Boolean searches, so I find that using Google's Advanced search with the URL of this Forum works best. Here's how to search for "beach pea" -

That resulted in the following links -

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...g-Hylan-design

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ng-a-Beach-Pea

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...a-Beach-Pea-II

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...on-a-Beach-Pea
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-05-2020 at 10:32 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Hi, and welcome

Doug Hylan detailed a build in WoodeBoat issues #133, 134, and 135. You can order backissues elecronically from WoodenBoat.

I'm sure a builder will come by this thread as well.

Good Luck!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Thorne, thats a much better way to search than I've been doing.
    I appreciate the help.
    I just had a look at the links, and they do show some very useful photos and descriptions of various things, including bottom board, garboards, planking etc.
    Still no information yet though on the centreboard ect, but I'll keep looking using the search tool you have shown me

Alan

Thanks Kevin,

Yes I did get those with the plans, but they don't include any real detail about the centreboard and CB case.
    I'm sure that Doug would think the construction is self evident from the plans, but although I have a lifetime of experience with woodwork and cabinet making, this will be my first boat, so I'm in need of more detail than a more experienced builder.

Alan

Now that I've had a better look at the plans, there is a fair bit of detail about the centreboard and CB trunk.
    It looks as though the centreboard assemble is offset to one side. I hope that I'm reading it correctly.

Alan

Alan, welcome to the forum. You're going to like building the beach pea. I built the rowing version a few years back and found Doug's plans to be accurate and easy to follow, even for not a great woodworker. Even though the pod is laid up in the garage for winter it looks good just sitting there.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Thanks Steve,

Actually, when I was doing some research on this, I came across the photos you had posted when you built your Beach pea.
    They were very instructive, and it's a beautiful boat.
    I hope I can do it the same justice

Alan

Steve,

The Melonseed looks like a great boat also. Clearly a lot of skill involved in building that

Alan