Page 132 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3282122131132133 ... LastLast
Results 4,586 to 4,620 of 4763

Thread: Novel Coronavirus

Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

Nate Silver is doing a great job showcasing why he’s an idiot who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. The whole amateur hour covid19 schtick he’s been doing shows the paucity of his knowledge and his contempt for actual knowledge and expertise. He should stick to modeling sports & politics for entertainment

I mean maybe, just maybe, just maybe you have to have some knowledge of a field to understand the range of opinion in it? And a 6 month crash course in amateur epidemiology doesn’t amount to enough to do that?

now where’s the accountability for that hawkish clown Scott atlas? Or that other Hoover institute moron who was telling us there’d be like 5,000 dead back in March? Are they accountable too?
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 12-24-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Should be. They were just following orders of course…………….Nuremberg anyone?
    But then all the existing ex-Presidents and their lackeys would be up before the courts.

Brazil is in for it. Christmas was a mess, and tons of New Year's parties and travel coming. Manaus is once again overwhelmed by coffins they can't bury fast enough - so much for herd immunity.

Interesting there is not a more open discussion of different points of view.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/H9GyqoPMvfRa/

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Interesting there is not a more open discussion of different points of view.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/H9GyqoPMvfRa/
    Interesting that you appear to think bitchute.com is a credible source for information about vaccines.

[B]BitChute is a video hosting service known for accommodating far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists, and for hosting hateful material.[a] The platform was created in 2017 to allow video uploaders to avoid content rules enforcement on YouTube,[13] and some creators who have been banned from YouTube or had their channels barred from receiving advertising revenue ("demonetized") have migrated to BitChute.[1]
    Source

If you want to be taken seriously, perhaps try reading some higher quality sources. Ed Yong's writing in The Atlantic has been very strong. Here's a recent piece from him:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...roject/617262/

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 12-29-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Don't be afraid of different points of view. Does all your information had be to come from approved sources. Who gets to decide for you?

Here is another point of view you won't like.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/u...sick-die-covid

he just being postmodern

Is funny. Sites "deplatformed" "demonitized" by the big players. Then points of view are not valid unless they come from a mainstream source. The real postmodern.

he just being postmodern

George. just got pwned. (-:

I told Paul to forget all that mainstream medicine crap; I read a blog about how doctors are crazy, and how you can fix a broken knee at home, with celery.

Because the mainstream medical profession LIES! They’re trying to program you!

Sometimes the best are wrong. And you can walk again.

I'm advocating not outsourcing independent thought and critical and analysis.

Even if it is comforting.

So much effort to suppress.

Sometimes the best are wrong. And you can walk again.

I'm advocating not outsourcing independent thought and critical and analysis.

Even if it is comforting.

So much effort to suppress.
    No. It’s just like your building. Who do you trust?

Exactly. You didn’t build according to what some weirdo internet yahoo said, but according to expert opinion and guidelines.

Same. Same.

Agreed. That's why I thought different doctor's opinions were noteworthy. Gotta keep the discussion open to different points of view. It's safe because we said so doesn't strike me as a consensus view.

Don't be afraid of different points of view. Does all your information had be to come from approved sources. Who gets to decide for you?

Hi bluedog. Early in the pandemic I actually got some good information from zerohedge. They did a good job digging up actual statistics showing how serious the disease was back when the WHO, CDC, and MSM were still downplaying it.

Of course they are a contrarian source, so now that everyone knows how bad it is they have to downplay it. I read the link. The UK journalist was hounded not for pointing out a statistical fact (I assume the number is correct), but for using that to conclude that the Great Barrington Declaration is correct, and we should just protect the vulnerable while letting the young go for herd immunity.

Why is that wrong and malicious? Because the past six months have shown what a spectacular failure all attempts to protect the vulnerable while the pandemic rages have been. She says that only 377 young and "healthy" people have died in the UK but omits the fact that at the same time 71,000 other people died, and the UK is still very far from herd immunity.

If I wanted to nitpick, I'd also point out that she didn't define "healthy" - for all we know her definition of healthy excludes 2/3 of the "young".

So you see, it is possible to spot a biased story that doesn't tell all the facts without indicting the source a priori.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

You’re right. I don’t like it.

The linked alternative view says only 367 people without a pre-existing condition under 60 have died of COVID-19.

Which leads the reader to conclude that if you’re under 60 with no pre-existing conditions you shouldn’t worry about COVID? Maybe you can stop wearing a mask because, hey, it’s all about me? What, exactly?

If you look at the data, turns out 3,470 people under 60 have died in the U.K., or about 8% of COVID deaths. It might be relevant that people with preconditions die.

It might also be relevant that being sick is bad even if you don’t die, and there’s evidence that COVID causes long-lasting damage for some people.

Then there’s the “only old people die of COVID” thing. Imagine there was a disease (let’s call it “OVID-19”) which was ravaging and killing old people. And most of those old people caught OVID-19 from younger people. Should our response be, “Eh, I don’t care. I can’t be bothered. They’re old. Let ‘em die!”?

Such are the hazards of alternative views from radio personalities who court controversy. (You can look up the mouthpiece for this controversy.)

Such are the hazards of critical thinking. Though not sufficient to outsource the responsibility to keep an open mind.

Such are the hazards of critical thinking. Though not sufficient to outsource the responsibility to keep an open mind.
    Critical thinking is good. Critical thinking about crappy data is just garbage in, garbage out.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Agreed. That's why I thought different doctor's opinions were noteworthy. Gotta keep the discussion open to different points of view. It's safe because we said so doesn't strike me as a consensus view.
    You can pretend you’re more enlightened and open minded to someone else, Bub.
    That is the most boring part of this place.

Bye bye.

Who decides for you?

Or do you get to decide for yourself?

If the latter, why do you embrace such currated sources?

Lol. It’s conspiracy by numbers, hit all the buzzwords.

If you’re rattling at me, you can save it.

Just that post alone tells me you’re here with a chip on your shoulder.

Bye. Bye!

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I don’t think I’ve outsourced my open mind. But I’ll think about it.

I don’t want to live in a world where people aren’t willing to make sacrifices for the benefit of others. I’m pretty darned closed minded about that.

Being open to alternative credible points of view is one thing. Being open to nonsense is quite something else, and leads to things like QAnon.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    If you’re rattling at me, you can save it.

Just that post alone tells me you’re here with a chip on your shoulder.

Bye. Bye!
    Nope. Peace all.

Who decides for you?

Or do you get to decide for yourself?

If the latter, why do you embrace such currated sources?
    Read this again. Think about it. It might help you stop yourself from looking foolish, which is what you are doing right now:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    You're so busy with your alternate POVs you're missing the point. 'Mainstream source' isn't some articial construct put forward by some vested interest. Mainstream source means science, math, objective reality. The world really is not flat. It's an important distinction. If that isn't apparent your main problem isn't not having enough POVs. And being non-mainstream as personal style is fine, being non-mainstream in sourcing the info you need to navigate the world as an adult, and maybe not have an autocrat decide what kind of medicine you should take, is not a badge of honor, it's only a kind of juvenile legalism, of the sort that can bite you in the ass.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Posting it twice helps. Thanks.

Some folks respond to a source that isn't NPR as though it was written on Ted Kaczynski's cabin wall. What happened to liberal being consistent with open minded?

My point in posting was to show that there are other views. Attacking the content based on the platform is foolish and tribal.

Maybe not, but reading it twice might. It's the clearest most accurate assessment of your position on this thread so far.

Some folks respond to a source that isn't NPR as though it was written on Ted Kaczynski's cabin wall. What happened to liberal being consistent with open minded?

My point in posting was to show that there are other views. Attacking the content based on the platform is foolish and tribal.
    You're not understanding what people are saying here at all.

No one is attacking the content based on the platform. The content itself is garbage. Those "other views" you tout are ridiculous, and counterfactual, and in fact broadly destructive of the general welfare.

Since you seem to be unable to figure that out, some of us have tried to inform you that the platform promoting those views is ALSO garbage, it is very publicly KNOWN to be garbage, and that if you can manage to recognize that fact, you might--just might--come to understand that the content on a garbage platform is likely to be... well, garbage.

Instead, you have confused "being open-minded" with "being gullible."

Sources like NPR and The Atlantic are NOT regarded as credible because they have been "pre-approved" by some liberal authority. They are regarded as credible because the stories they publish are high quality, insightful, based on fairly objective (and highly accurate) analyses of actual sources, and subjected to rigorous fact-checking and multiple levels of editing.

Your failure to recognize the high quality of sources like NPR and The Atlantic, and even more importantly, to recognize the extremely poor quality of sources like bitchute.com, is NOT evidence of being "open-minded." Your stance on this thread demonstrates a LACK of critical thinking ability on your part, an inability to sort wheat and chaff.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 12-29-2020 at 01:30 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Maybe not, but reading it twice might. It's the clearest most accurate assessment of your position on this thread so far.

You're not understanding what people are saying here at all.

No one is attacking the content based on the platform. The content itself is garbage. Those "other views" you tout are ridiculous, and counterfactual, and in fact broadly destructive of the general welfare.

Since you seem to be unable to figure that out, some of us have tried to inform you that the platform promoting those views is ALSO garbage, it is very publicly KNOWN to be garbage, and that if you can manage to recognize that fact, you might--just might--come to understand that the content on a garbage platform is likely to be... well, garbage.

Instead, you have confused "being open-minded" with "being gullible."

Sources like NPR and The Atlantic are NOT regarded as credible because they have been "pre-approved" by some liberal authority. They are regarded as credible because they the stories they publish are high quality, insightful, based on fairly objective (and highly accurate) analyses of actual sources, and subjected to rigorous fact-checking and multiple levels of editing.

Your failure to recognize the high quality of sources like NPR and The Atlantic, and even more importantly, to recognize the extremely poor quality of sources like bitchute.com, is NOT evidence of being "open-minded." Your stance on this thread demonstrates a LACK of critical thinking ability on your part, an inability to sort wheat and chaff.

Tom
    There are times when I wish this forum had a "Like" button.
    Hey Tom, all the very best to the two of you for the New Year.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

you’ve shown over and over you’ll shop for garbage “news” that supports your priors and won’t be swayed from it.

This little diversion started because you attacked the content based on the platform. Remember?

People can judge the content based on its merit.

Or they can let the owners of youtube decide for them.

Interesting that you appear to think bitchute.com is a credible source for information about vaccines.

[B]BitChute is a video hosting service known for accommodating far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists, and for hosting hateful material.[a] The platform was created in 2017 to allow video uploaders to avoid content rules enforcement on YouTube,[13] and some creators who have been banned from YouTube or had their channels barred from receiving advertising revenue ("demonetized") have migrated to BitChute.[1]
    Source

This little diversion started because you attacked the content based on the platform. Remember?
    Read this again; you either skipped it, or failed to understand it:

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    There are times when I wish this forum had a "Like" button.
    Hey Tom, all the very best to the two of you for the New Year.

John Welsford
    Hey, John! Cathy and I were just re-viewing our NZ photos from a year ago. Good think we got a visit in before the world wised up and stopped letting people from the U.S. into their countries.

Best to you and yours--Cathy says "Happy New Year!"

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Enough

the trouble i see, bluedog, is that your notion of "open mindedness" is essentially the surrender of discernment. we all need to be able to judge sources of information, categorize, and make assumptions, in order to function.

where does "open mindedness" end, after all. which cranks are we required to read or listen to, over and over, just in case they say something true, and which can we ignore completely?

if everyone has equal access to the "truth", and an equal right to a hearing on every occasion and every subject, then the process of ordering our world is endless.

when speaking of the facts of human affairs and opinion based on same, credibility is the coin of the realm. lose credibility, lose your audience. just ask dan rather.