Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: MIT Tech 12'X5' dinghy rerigged to a lug rig ?

Default Re: MIT Tech 12'X5' dinghy rerigged to a lug rig ?

Dead end a light line at the throat, run it down through a bee hole on the boom about 2/3 out, back up to a ring or block and down. When you pull on the line everything folds up ...... as long as you have enough slack on the boom jaws so that they don't bind up. The Delaware folks did this with their gaff rigged tuckups and hikers as well, dropping the gaff, furling the sail then pulllng it up into a bundle so that it lifted out with the mast. Bear in mind they were lowering the rig down from a high pier, with someone in the boat to guide it into place. For the ducker, the rig is light enough to handle, but when I moved up away from beaches and marshes, I added a stepping box to the boat so I'd have control if the boat moved around.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Ben F. What you describe sounds remarkably like a topping lift.

Stay safe

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Well for now all the sail makers I tried to contact are pretty mute. One did reply and it seems he has more work then he can handle. It looks like Armageddon, so folks are looking for some fun stuff fulfilled on their bucket list. So I'm still looking for a 64 sq ft sprit sail and a 24 sq ft jib. Any hints as to other sources would be appreciated.

Stay safe.. but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Try CT Craigslist for sails

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post
    Well for now all the sail makers I tried to contact are pretty mute. One did reply and it seems he has more work then he can handle. It looks like Armageddon, so folks are looking for some fun stuff fulfilled on their bucket list. So I'm still looking for a 64 sq ft sprit sail and a 24 sq ft jib. Any hints as to other sources would be appreciated.

JD
    Duckworks

Ben F. What you describe sounds remarkably like a topping lift.

Stay safe

JD
    Not unlike, a varient on the double topping lift, but designed to hoist the boom up and sail up against the mast.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

JD
    You can KISS this for starters with some tarp or tyvek sails just to see if everything works out.
    Ben Fuller

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/...m-t-parent.htm

I through this idea out on post #10, it looks like an interesting sprit sail to me. But I do not know anything about them, curious what others think. It is not expensive and in-stock.

NeilPrydeRig.jpg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Thanks for the tips . I intend to look into the Pryde sail for the main sail but still need ideas for a jib.

Keep safe .. but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

You have fun and keep safe too. That is certainly the name of the game now! At least sailing can be socially distant exercise.

You could try Bacon sails for a jib. Not sure it’s the best idea but you might be able to get one for a decent priceZ
    https://baconsails.com/
    -The Dude-

My Skiff (Iain Oughtred Design "Spike") was originally designed for Sprit or Chesapeake Rig. I prefered to build it with a Balanced Lug Rig.
    As I was not sure where the mast-step is to be located in the boat, I constructed a system (sledge), made of plywood-layers and stainless shroud-tensioner). With this I am able to move the mast-step in longitudial direction and trim the rig.

See Picture:

Maststep1.jpg
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Unless you tape up a test jib you want a quite small one. Have a look at class boats that are carrying about 100 sq ft of sail. Generally there is around 25 feet in the jib. You could get a jib for very small money or even free. The jibs may have an aspect ratio that won't work, in which case get a bigger one that has a foot length that is about right and cut it down. Keep the foot, cut the leech.
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Pateplumaboat View Post
    My Skiff (Iain Oughtred Design "Spike") was originally designed for Sprit or Chesapeake Rig. I prefered to build it with a Balanced Lug Rig.
    As I was not sure where the mast-step is to be located in the boat, I constructed a system (sledge), made of plywood-layers and stainless shroud-tensioner). With this I am able to move the mast-step in longitudial direction and trim the rig.

See Picture:

Maststep1.jpg
    This is pretty nice. Seems to me that Finn dinghy's used to have an adjustable step like this. Nice bit of work.
    Ben Fuller

That's a nifty idea above.

Decided on another tack for now. Neil Pryde sails cannot deliver a sail for 8 weeks. So in the mean time I'm coming about and have the opportunity to get a Blue Jay aluminum mast and sail to try that out on the MIT Tech Dinghy. The jib is not available The main sail is about 65 Sq ft. But I'm not abandoning my idea for a sprit sail and jib eventually.

Keep safe, but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Here my movable mast-step (here with mast stepped ready to sail) as mentioned above with shroud-tensioner.

maststepx.jpg
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Shaula 111 Temp rig.jpgOK, so I cannot get the sprit rig I wanted for this tech dinghy I was able to find this rig to use in the mean time. A bit under rigged but it just might amuse me for now. I will have to make some battens as it lacks any.Can any body identify the class, also a jib that will fit ?

Stay safe , but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by Pateplumaboat View Post

See Picture:

Maststep1.jpg

Optimists have them

Well for the time being or when I get some sail maker to cut the sprit sail I want The rig shown above will have to do. It is sorely under powered and a 30 SQ ft jib will help But I incorporated some features I can use. First image shows a mast collar Inserted on the 2" dia mast. It keeps the mast from wobbling around in the partner. It stays on the mast. That way it is easier to step the mast. De powering the boat is important to me especially when docking. So I rigged the clew out haul to come back to the mast reeve through a block near the luff down haul , then back to a cam cleat on the CB case. When released it De powers the sail far faster then the sheet. Also it allows me to sort of furl the sail with a trip line and when ready for setting yank on the trip line and haul on the clew out haul. The boom I got with the mast and sail was a bit short to reach a boom crutch. So I added a block of wood to it enabling the boom end to rest in the slot. When the clew out haul is hauled all the way in, it lifts the boom out of it.
    Now to find a jib about 10' on the luff and 6' on the foot.

Shaula repairs mast collor.jpgShaula repairs main furled jpg.jpgShaula repairs un furling.jpg

Keep safe , but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Between doctor visits and availability of a sailing buddy, I had the opportunity to splash the tech dinghy Yesterday. We launched the boat to see:
    1 If it floats near her lines
    2 If it leaks
    3.And to see just what she will do with two sails
    Well the wind never got much past 7 kts the CB case at the pivoting lever does leak. She does float near enough to the boot topping. The big problem was that the boom is way too low My buddy hardly could duck it and even I had my problems ducking. But since this sail is not the rig I intend, it just provided an opportunity to see what needs to be corrected, especially the leak and to get out on the water. The real rig when I get the sail made will be a sprit rig, with the jib shown previously The boom will be much higher. Under just main sail she was sluggish but with the jib up she came alive. So I can see that the boat has potential to invest more time in the rig and to fix things over the off season The original CB case with the lever to raise and lower the CB will have to be dissembled and maybe rig some kind of gasket. I won't know until I take it off.
    Shaula % Pete ready to launch.jpgShaula Pete wondering ..jpgShaula pete with jib & bailer.jpgIn the last image you can see how low the boom is. However my valiant crew managed to bail and tend the jib sheet, all with a smile.

Stay safe but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

The leak problem

It took a bit of patience and a liberal dose of WD 40 to loosen the bolts holding the CB lever mechanical s. What I found was a bronze parts consisting of what is shown in the images. It all looked OK except for the rubber washer. It was pinched in one corner , therefore admitting water. So now the problem is what can I find to replace the washer with. I'm sure there is something off a shelf that would be suitable. The requirements are !/4" thick . compressible. About 4" across and workable to cut and drill it to shape. Of course I would also use some kind of bedding compound as well. Reassembling will be tricky as the C.Board will have to be positioned to accept the square bolt portion and in the right position consist with Up & Down.

So any ideas out there regarding an alternate candidate for a new washer ?Shaula CB mechanical 1.jpgShaula CB Mechanical 's 2.jpg

Thanks

Stay safe but have some fun

JD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Looks like a similar washer used with the centerboard lever for Oday DaySailers. I think it’s mechanism was a standard part used on a few boats. The DS is 3” not sure if that works for you. You can also buy gasket material and cut it yourself, less fun. Or is it the same mechanism I am referring to, but with a broken and repaired handle?
    https://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=119
    https://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR110

Great to see you out on the boat!!
    -The Dude-

Holy Moley!!! WOW etc ! Thanks Matt. That's exactly what I need . The rubber washer that is . Thank God I have the rest of the assembly. I presume the one shown in my image was hand crafted from whatever was available at the time the jury rigger found. Now thanks to Mr Young I can order the exact part.

Keep Safe but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Shaula repairs model 1.jpg

Decided to make a model of the tech dinghy while waiting for the sail maker to come through and the rubber washer to be delivered.

The model will be close to the Tech dinghy configuration as possible including sails, rudder and centerboard. at 1" - 1' . The model might give me an idea of the buoyancy when capsized and sailing characteristics. I made a wooden mold and placed random pieces of FG cloth and filler where hollow spots appeared. The only departure from the original design was to give the model a bit more sheer My intention is to put in the buoyancy tanks same as the full sized dinghy, turn it all loose on some open water and see what happens ( followed by my pirogue) .

Now any one here can tell me what 0Z of ballast stones or lead sinkers would be equivalent to say 100 lbs of human being be?

Thanks
    Keep safe but have some fun

PS I once made a model of another design years ago minus the buoyancy. Well it capsized sunk with the model skipper still at the tiller. I was able to retrieve it by diving at low tide.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

I think it's the cube of the scale, which would give 0 .9 oz for every 100lbs. It seems light to me. It'd in Weston Farmers book, which I don't have. Someone clever will come along soon.

People are nearly neutrally buoyant, therefore about 60 lbs per cubic foot volume (f.w. is 62.4, s.w. is 64.0, both pcf=pounds per cubic foot). Lead is 11.3 times as dense as water. Air at normal atmosphere is 1.2 pcf. This be enough to work with. Love the model idea and great work on the boat!

Holy Moley!!! WOW etc ! Thanks Matt. That's exactly what I need . The rubber washer that is . Thank God I have the rest of the assembly. I presume the one shown in my image was hand crafted from whatever was available at the time the jury rigger found. Now thanks to Mr Young I can order the exact part.

Keep Safe but have some fun.

JD
    I am glad I could help, I hope the washer arrives soon and does the trick. Heeding your advice, having lots of safe fun!
    -The Dude-

Shaula repairs tapping.jpg

The new rubber washer came and I installed it a nice snug fit all around. When tightening up on the bolts holding the compression plate I noticed the bolts were not grabbing. That means only one thing. The bolts or the nuts were stripped The SS 1/4 20 bolts looked OK so it must be the nuts. probably brazed on to a large plate hidden in the CB trunk layup . So what to do ? Re tap the existing nuts. I had a 5/16 NC tap and bolts to match. So tap away and be careful not to over do it or worse yet break the tap. I also had to enlarge the holes in the pressure plate as well as the locking pinion

In my opinion the whole CB. raising and lowering system is too subject to failure. Dependent on a washer, and the flaws of over zealous tightening to stem leaks. To say nothing to the difficulty of lining up the CB lever sq protrusion with the hole in the CB trunk to the female sq receptacle in the CB.

If all this fails I might have to Dish out the CB trunk and FG lay up and install a SS tubing on both sides of the CB trunks and resort to a bolt pin to hold in the CB. and figure a way to raise and lower the board.

Stay safe but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

I finished the repair on the CB case leak and only time will tell if it stops the leaks.

Duck works has come up with a delivery date for my 64sq ft tanbark sprit sail. But in the mean time the model is coming along. I've cut through the model bottom for the CB and made the case. Various beams are in place and lay up figured for the Buoyancy chambers and lockers etc. In the model they will be sealed. Also shown is a scaled cardboard sail the same dimensions as the full sized new one. This will give some idea how it will look. One mistake I made is that the FG lay up is too heavy. I put too may layers of cloth to give the finished model hull some stiffness. However it still floats just about on her lines any way.

Some model pix

Shaula 3 model 1.jpgShaula 3 model 4.jpgShaula 3 model 2.jpgShaula 3 model 5.jpg

Keep safe but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

NICE! Y'know, you're having way too much fun with this

Got the model to the point I can start painting some of the insides then do the decking and seat tops etc I need to do a bit more faring on the hull. That will have to wait though as the Neil Pryde sprit sail was delivered today.
    I have the 12' sprit made but I know I will have to shorten it, to be determined by trial and error and just where to place the thumb cleat and snotter.

Shaula model bow white.jpgShaula model 1 stern white.jpgShaula model 1 white overhead.jpg

Keep safe but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Placing the snotter and thumb cleat isn't hard. Bend the sail on the mast and hook the sprit into the the peak. Set it on the mast so that you bisect the angle of the peak. That will be about where you want to carry the sprit and should give you a nicely peaked up sail. A thumb cleat for the snotter would be a foot or so above it but you can test by putting a snotter on the stick with a rolling hitch or a Prussik then sliding it up and down until you have things set up where you want them.
    Ben Fuller

Thanks Ben, I made a temporary setting for the snotter and thumb cleat and it looks OK to me. The sail came with an strong crease just fwd of the battens. It almost looks ironed in. Besides time and useage is there any way to kind of "hasten" the process ? The extreme roach of the sail is a minus for me but the boom is high enough to not have to duck very much. The duck worth site mentions a 10' sprit I had made mine 12' as it is easier to shorten then to lengthen a sprit. For now it's going to stay 12 ft. The boom I made longer than needed to enable it to fall into the boom crutch. However I might just shorten it a few inches.

Shaula 3 D. sail W jib 2.jpg

Keep safe but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

That looks really nice. I wouldn't want the sprit any shorter than that. As far as the crease, the wind may fix it, or maybe you just need more tension in the outhaul.
    -Dave

Yeah, I'd go sailing and see what it looks like. The snotter and the sprit look fine. If the peak jumps off the sprit when you don't want it to, consider a peak pennant. Hope that the jib got some hollow cut into the luff to make up for any mast bend, always a hassle with an unstayed mast.
    Ben Fuller

JD,

Enjoying this thread cause I’m changing the mast position on my boat and a lot of what you’ve posted applies.

Where did you source your jib? I’ve got the same main sail (but will be gaff rigged) and would love to find a matching jib

thanks!