Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,016 to 1,050 of 1102

Thread: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

  1. #1016
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    This came up as a year ago in Fiji, but its topical so...
    20190919_163039.jpg
    Ah yes (sets the scene) a nice day spent at Beqa, visit to a small island , passage through a reef and sail 15 miles to the mainland to find another little harbour inside the reefs , we and our two guests sit down for sundowners. Then I spy movement at the corner of the beanbag my wife is sitting upon. Just to her left opposite Moi is our great friend Sue.
    Being a man of action rather than words, cos the correct words would not correlate, I lunged across the table , grabbed both women by the upper arms and pulled em off their seats like I was opening double doors.
    Naturally there was outrage, snickyness and 4 eyes that looked like laser beams, until they saw the snake that is. It changed after that because you see, even though that most poisonous in the world seasnake can't bite you, we come from a snakeless nation. We have the same feral reaction to slithery as a horse or dog.
    Much glossy eye-edness ensued after that, I basked.
    Last edited by John B; 09-22-2020 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #1017
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    798

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    How did that come aboard ? I'have thought a fibreglass hull didn't offer many footholds (snakeskinholds or what would you call them?)
    Last edited by 62816inBerlin; 09-22-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo

  3. #1018
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by 62816inBerlin View Post
    How did that come aboard ? I'have thought a fibreglass hull didn't offer many footholds (snakeskinholds or what would you call them?)
    Riada is wooden, but we think it came up the swim ladder and in the cockpit scupper, had a rest for a few hours and came out for the party.

  4. #1019
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020



    I lifted this from the net while reminiscing about doing the trip a couple of years ago
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

  5. #1020
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    17,089

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    ELF ©_MG_6045.jpg

    Beetle cat sporting the burgee of the fall race series in West Falmouth harbor - the Hog Island races.

    A member of the group made a few burgees for the kids who sail with their parents every Sunday morning in Sept and Oct.

    The burgee was originally designed by the founder of the fall series.

    The series was founded in 1971.

    ELF ©_MG_5818.jpg

    We had a nice lot of wind last Sunday.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  6. #1021
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Did those boats collide, or has the camera foreshortened the distance between them?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

  7. #1022
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    2,848

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Yesterday evenings walk along the coast of our back beach;

    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  8. #1023
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,136

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This came up as a year ago in Fiji, but its topical so...
    20190919_163039.jpg
    Ah yes (sets the scene) a nice day spent at Beqa, visit to a small island , passage through a reef and sail 15 miles to the mainland to find another little harbour inside the reefs , we and our two guests sit down for sundowners. Then I spy movement at the corner of the beanbag my wife is sitting upon. Just to her left opposite Moi is our great friend Sue.
    Being a man of action rather than words, cos the correct words would not correlate, I lunged across the table , grabbed both women by the upper arms and pulled em off their seats like I was opening double doors.
    Naturally there was outrage, snickyness and 4 eyes that looked like laser beams, until they saw the snake that is. It changed after that because you see, even though that most poisonous in the world seasnake can't bite you, we come from a snakeless nation. We have the same feral reaction to slithery as a horse or dog.
    Much glossy eye-edness ensued after that, I basked.
    You might want to show this to your crew and resume hero status:

    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....ticle/10821484
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  9. #1024
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    That puts a different complexion on things.
    I chased her around the lazarette, out over the transom and back in a scupper, cornered her in the starboard side and let her make it halfway over a boat hook before lifting her over the side. It was all go for a few minutes.
    My crackers came all made up with the cheese and pickle and handed to me after that...' would you like another beer?'
    ' don't mind if I do'.

  10. #1025
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,136

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    The crew? What about the snake?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  11. #1026
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    17,089

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Did those boats collide, or has the camera foreshortened the distance between them?
    500mm lens. No collision.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  12. #1027
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    17,089

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    ELF ©IMG_2601a.jpg

    My night blooming cereus had four buds. Three of them bloomed during the night. I lit this one with the LED flashlight from the fridge.

    ELF ©IMG_2622a.jpg

    In the morning they had not started to close yet.

    ELF ©IMG_2641a.jpg

    It was nice to get some shots with the morning sun lighting them.

    iPhone 11.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  13. #1028
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    16,214

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    For the last month we have been having a bear problem in our neighborhood. This young one was about 100 feet from our home

    5E1C0A3A-35B4-487F-90A8-966D11D735C0.jpg

    A couple evenings ago a bear was on our porch in the twilight as Kalevala came home. He scared the bear away and it climbed a tree next to the house and stayed there snapping it’s jaws, huffing and growling at us for a long time. Came down sometime during the night.

    1A901341-24D1-4CB4-B37E-992134225BF7.jpg


    Couple of mornings to go to bear was sleeping on the porch in front of our neighbor’s door. They couldn’t go to work in the morning because the bear would not leave. It has been also seen trying to get into other friend’s house by repeatedly slamming against her door.

    Bears have been in our yard and on our porch several times in the last week. I go outside with bear spray in hand and double check surroundings before stepping off the porch. Kalevala will do some bush clearing this weekend.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

    A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...



    S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

  14. #1029
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Bear! Different world.

    Hard to believe these units have gone from this
    20200816_114032.jpg
    To this in 5 or 6 weeks.
    20200925_074342.jpg
    12 down to 8 today. Hawks we think.

  15. #1030
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Yesterday evenings walk along the coast of our back beach; Where is this??


    Where is this place
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen



  16. #1031
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Attachment 68529



    Another autumn flower - chicory.


    Is this the same as they use in coffee?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen



  17. #1032
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,338

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Phone pic this morning.

    morning200927.jpg

  18. #1033
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Phone pic this morning
    20200928_074948.jpg
    Stormy here over the last 2 days so it's a nice change. Daylight saving started too.

  19. #1034
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Another phone pic from this morning - the turn is starting...

    color.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  20. #1035
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    ^ that's a big tree or a very small bench seat.

  21. #1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Now
    Posts
    3,055

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    DSC_0933.jpg

    Today? A park, five miles out of Glasgow. Warm September sunshine, no midges, grandchildren in tow. All good!

    Andy...uh...it went the right way up.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

  22. #1037
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,136

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Our farm:

    20200928_100835.jpg

    I'm not sure it'll be enough to qualify us as primary producers though.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  23. #1038
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ^ that's a big tree or a very small bench seat.
    It's actually 3 maples that are so close to each other at the base that they touch for the first 2 meters or so. The bench is 1/2 meter long, normal sitting height.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  24. #1039
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    It's actually 3 maples that are so close to each other at the base that they touch for the first 2 meters or so. The bench is 1/2 meter long, normal sitting height.
    Looks really nice. We've a Liquid Ambar the spring leaves are just coming out on now, nice proportioned tree. I actually thought it was a maple for the first year but learned different.

  25. #1040
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Looks really nice. We've a Liquid Ambar the spring leaves are just coming out on now, nice proportioned tree. I actually thought it was a maple for the first year but learned different.
    I'll guess at about 100 years old - maybe a little more. We have 10 or so maples that con only be described as "stately".

    You'd almost think our seasons were backwards from each other!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  26. #1041
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'll guess at about 100 years old - maybe a little more. We have 10 or so maples that con only be described as "stately".

    You'd almost think our seasons were backwards from each other!
    I've been thinking I'd love to see more of your property ,Garret....,from the occasional photo I've seen it looks idyllic . That shot across the lake to your side in the distance was special.
    The only 100 year old or near it tree we have is the gnarliest old growth grandaddy pine you've ever seen. It's only 70 ft tall for a 4 to 5 ft diameter, the boughs are 18 in or so..Trees in themselves. Aka Treebeard or 'the elephant in the room'.
    Last edited by John B; 09-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.

  27. #1042
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've been thinking I'd love to see more of your property ,Garret....,from the occasional photo I've seen it looks idyllic . That shot across the lake to your side in the distance was special.
    The only 100 year old or near it tree we have is the gnarliest old growth grandaddy pine you've ever seen. It's only 70 ft tall for a 4 to 5 ft diameter, the boughs are 18 in or so..Trees in themselves. Aka Treebeard or 'the elephant in the room'.
    At the risk of boring other folks, here are a few shots. The one above was towards the west - basically 180 deg. from the pic taken across the lake.

    Here's just to the north of the last one:

    Sept3.jpg

    To the south:

    Sept4.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  28. #1043
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    Off to the east (3 maples each ~1/2 meter at the base):
    sept2.jpg

    A wild section (but with a few mowed paths through it for evening walks):

    Sept1.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  29. #1044
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    But then there's this - coming up the driveway last winter:

    SnowyDriveway.jpg
    Last edited by Garret; 09-28-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  30. #1045
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    20,669

    Default

    Peeping buck.



    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  31. #1046
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    What sort of deer , Kevin?

  32. #1047
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,191

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    As a counterpoint to Garrets o so elegant trees and delightful looking land, here's our Elephant .
    That first bough is about 18 in plus diameter , the tree is between 4 and 5 ft dia at chest height.
    20200929_100134.jpg

    Gnarly, man.

  33. #1048
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    20,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    What sort of deer , Kevin?


    That's a whitetail deer.

    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  34. #1049
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    35,921

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020

    That's quite a tree! The glimpses into other people's places in this thread are quite wonderful.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  35. #1050
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Photo a day. 365x12/2020


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •