Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save George Buehler heritage - please we need your help

Default Re: Save George Buehler heritage - please we need your help

^ That might be the exact reason people choose the design. People didnt build Tahiti ketches for their lack in speed and pointing ability, but chose comfort and ease of handling, to each their own.
    Ian. AKA RusBot

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    A sure sign of the Apocalypse.

I agree with Skaraborgcraft.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Well, I think people built Tahiti’s for the same reason that people build Buelers , they got hooked on the romance.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ..... they got hooked on the romance.
    Hi Bruce,

is there any other reason to build a Boat than romance?

Grischdian

Yes,
    To get it done, to have what you want, to be able to trust your own vessel.
    Romance be the opposite of pragmatism. (at least as I understand the word)
    Build your boat, but get it built.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Well, I think people built Tahiti’s for the same reason that people build Buelers , they got hooked on the romance.
    So people who build Buehler, Wharrams and Tahitis are sold into "living the dream", and yet people who build a design from Johnson, Gartside or Smaadlers are what , realists? Can it not be as simple as some boats are easier to build? Maybe just because a designer explains things in an easily understood manner that might convince the average layman that he too might successfully build a cruising boat, does not mean the boats are bad. Anyone even looking at boats or even thinking about building one is already caught up in "the dream". I never built a Wharram as i didnt believe that my deck would be full of semi-naked woman as per his dreamy illustrations.
    I did find it noteable that in his last version of Backyard Boatbuilding, he dropped the chine lines to the waterline, much like many of the Rabl designs of the 50s, that he found Rabls book essential during his first build. Deadrise boats might be out of fashion, but they can not be said not to work, or reasonably easy to build. I quite like the quirky looks of the modern foiling Mini Transat scows, but that does not mean the original Mini Transat single chine Muscadet yachts from the 60s are any less able today of crossing the Atlantic or circumnavigating. Atkin drew a whole heap of chine boats, i never see him being derided in the same way, and he was just as evocative in selling a dream to sell a plan.
    Ian. AKA RusBot

Well, I see a lotta Wharrams out in the world. At least 3 or 4 where I am right now (Tyrell Bay, Carriacou). Naked people have all but vanished though.
    I've never seen a single Bueler in the Caribbean .
    I not aiming to promote Venus Ketches. Johnsons big mistake was not writing his stchick down. He converted people in real time, and his time is about up.
    I do not see heavy double enders ever becoming popular again...ever. Maybe one out of a thousand vessels.
    I'm not sure where we are goin here...jus tawkin boats

No worries Bruce, no agenda here, just a realization that some people are easily talked into stuff whatever the boat or build method, and there is always more than one way to skin a cat, and some people are more comfortable with a method they believe they can do, rather than one they may not.....nuts and bolts and nails, Vs resins and cloth. Of course the "end result" is what is important, but there is some weird folk out there that like the build process itself and might prefer saw dust to epoxy dust.

It must also be said, that anyone building a new boat today, must question their own "romance" in the bigger picture when a ready to go cruising boat can be had for cents on the dollar. Even peoples view on reality is often different.

The Venus 28 my uncle built with his mate was just recently sold.......i was hoping to go see it and report how a 40 year old ferro boat had held up. Still dreamin.......
    Ian. AKA RusBot

I just noticed this on the page of his 28ft Njord......

""Somebody sent me a woodenboat forum discussion of this design and I was surprised at the negative talk. Few understood the concept, nor the thoughts/experiences that went into her. When I drew her, I was thinking about Jean Gau, a French guy who did 2-1/2 circumnavigations in his 30' Tahiti Ketch "ATOM" before crashing on a Virginia beach, in 1971. He was 69. NJORD, like ATOM, is very rugged, has a sailplan that an aging guy can usually handle, and can carry light weather sails if wanted. When I was in my 20s single handing a boat this size I fell off once while off Big Sur, managed to grab the backstay as I went, and swung aboard without getting my feet wet! In my 30s in the old JUNO I was hit by a serious squal, had the boat go right on its side, with me holding onto the mast with one arm while my body and legs were 90 degrees to the water. I'd hate to try either today. Forgive this sea story stuff but those thoughts/experiences are what are behind this design, which I thought had been made clear in the upper paragraph? Oh well, it doesn't matter but I'm sorry folks without short handed cruising experience can't visualize what this boat is.""

Ian. AKA RusBot

The dream and romance is a very important part of any maritime adventure.

My first run on a tug began when the captain, a friend, phoned me to replace an injured crew member. Sounded like fun. At the end of the hitch we were in push mode easing into one of those industrial Kils in New Jersey or perhaps Staten Island. It was dead calm, a bit foggy, and cold. The high tide meant that the mooring lines that held the barges on both sides were slack and all the barges tended to float towards the center. Sodium vapor lamps and flaming exhaust stacks gave all a weird cast that matched the wretched stench of chemistry. The other deckie, the engineer, the mate, and I were all pushing mats and fenders as we'd get the bow of the barge between two moored barges and the captain began a gentle wiggle to spread them out so we could pass. We were terrified of sparks if we scraped metal on metal too hard.

All the while I was Charles Marlow probing up some post-industrial Heart of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I just noticed this on the page of his 28ft Njord......

""Somebody sent me a woodenboat forum discussion of this design and I was surprised at the negative talk. Few understood the concept, nor the thoughts/experiences that went into her. When I drew her, I was thinking about Jean Gau, a French guy who did 2-1/2 circumnavigations in his 30' Tahiti Ketch "ATOM" before crashing on a Virginia beach, in 1971. He was 69. NJORD, like ATOM, is very rugged, has a sailplan that an aging guy can usually handle, and can carry light weather sails if wanted. When I was in my 20s single handing a boat this size I fell off once while off Big Sur, managed to grab the backstay as I went, and swung aboard without getting my feet wet! In my 30s in the old JUNO I was hit by a serious squal, had the boat go right on its side, with me holding onto the mast with one arm while my body and legs were 90 degrees to the water. I'd hate to try either today. Forgive this sea story stuff but those thoughts/experiences are what are behind this design, which I thought had been made clear in the upper paragraph? Oh well, it doesn't matter but I'm sorry folks without short handed cruising experience can't visualize what this boat is.""

Funny .... that Somebody was me ...