Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: WoodenBoat's really, really hare-brained "false cover" idea

Default Re: WoodenBoat's really, really hare-brained "false cover" idea

I'm glad to see the plastic bags go. My copy with the false cover arrived unscathed. Seems like a good idea. Likely less expensive than individually stuffing each one in an envelope, and uses less paper.

Guess that experiment wasn't too popular, eh? Back to more plastic bags...

The magazine says they are not plastic, but some compostable material.

Oh, well that's better, I guess.

I have young children, so my expectations about anything remaining in mint condition are exceedingly low. Magazines that aren't chewed up by the mail are invariably chewed up by the dog.

I think the new biodegradable "plastic" bag is a great solution! Thanks, WoodenBoat!

I remember once going into the storage loft that L Francis Herreshoff had on the second floor of his garage. I opened the door and there, neatly lined up was a consecutive line of The Rudder magazines some bound and some not bound, all lined up on shelves from the very first issue up until Skipper had a tussle with the editor of The Rudder and canceled his subscription. I was tempted to buy them from Murial Vaughn, who was the heir to his estate but felt that some entity such as a museum should have them.
    So they are most likely dead and buried now and who cares about the hoorah that L. Francis had with the editor? It is history and that is all it is.

Incidentally they built and designed a lot of ugly boats back when The Rudder Magazine began just as they do today! That is the beauty of self expression in boat building! Some are heart stoppingly beautiful and some are not! And who cares about an argument with the editor? I have so many old copies of old boat magazines now that I need a loft to store them for who knows what or who!

Let there be peace
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    So they are most likely dead and buried now and who cares about the hoorah that L. Francis had with the editor? It is history and that is all it is.

Incidentally they built and designed a lot of ugly boats back when The Rudder Magazine began just as they do today! That is the beauty of self expression in boat building! Some are heart stoppingly beautiful and some are not! And who cares about an argument with the editor?
    Last fall I spent a couple of afternoons in the Mystic Seaport library reading through LFH's correspondence from the 1940s and 50s. There was some reference to the dustup mentioned and I recall it had to do with payments for articles delivered or contracted for. And yes there was a whole host of unfortunate designs in the Rudder 'Designs' sections also.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."