Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

Default Re: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

Very nice work Pablo. I hope your rabbit doesn’t find a boyfriend!

Very nice shape to your skeg. I have always wondered what happened to those surgical stainless steel parts when we're finished with them. Stay safe. Ron

Resized_20200621_120215.jpgResized_20200621_120215.jpgResized_20200621_120625.jpg
    20200619_152313.jpg
    Some pictures of a nesting dinghy I am makingas a tender for Sealion. I hope to be able to put the 2 halves upside down on the foredeck.

hi ron, nice boat. i had a swiming pool, where i test too my boats, but i guess the cape henry doesnt fit on it jaja.

andrew i hope the rabbit stay single! one is ok. are some cats arround but she defend herself very well one night a cat was too close to her and ended in the swimming pool because of a rabbit kick, dont know how was but the poor cat took some time to rescue himself for the water.

20180914_153101(0).jpg

this is a 7 feet nutschell pram i made for the kids. with a lug sail , is a nice boat too. my tender too.

Hi Pablo,
    I saw your post about paint on Max's forum.
    I have used many different paints over the years. Sealion is painted with Awlgrip paint. It is very nice paint but expensive, I used what i had leftover from my other boat.
    I have also used industrial and automotive two pack polyurethanes. Most makes have a good high build epoxy primer, which can be followed with their polyurethane systems.
    Because you only have a little room in your shed, have a think about putting on the high build epoxy and the paint below the waterline, and then finish painting the hull when you are nearly finished the boat. I have found that it is too easy to damage the paint with so much work still to do on the boat.
    I built a boat nearly 30 years ago and painted it with industrial polturethane. I was young with little money and this paint was much cheaper. The boat has been on the water since launch and the current owner polishes it yearly and the paint is still in good condition.
    Cheers
    Ron

hi ron and max, thanks for the advice. will get some epoxy primer locally first and later when move the boat out of the box will be painted with some poliurethane paint.
    now working almost all days because of the pandemic but next week will start working more at the hospital so the progress will be slower. no problem i already planed to do the boat in 3 years, lets see if is less time.

the keel was finished, fixed and glued and I reinforced the junction with some carbon fiber fabric i had at hand and works fine. later will be sanded a little.

20200705_175200.jpg

then i put a new stringer, and beveled the nesting place to the next plank. i am using a battery small planer bosch with this jig to transfer the bevel or angle to the top plank . works fine but slow so first do by hand or normal electric planer, and then the device .

20200709_182244.jpg

and now i dry fitted the middle planks to be glued later this week. the boat is taking nice shape by now. i also move the striger a little more up in position to get a more curved up profile in the back of the boat. something more aestetic then functional. let see how works at the end. is like 2.5 cm in the transom and 10 mm in the next frame. the rest will be the same position.

20200707_185024.jpg

20200711_152046.jpg

this at the bow. when the planking will be finished i will continue with the laminated keel to the front.

is funny if i open the door to the rear garden the damm rabbit came to visit me. always. and stay there resting in some place or chewing the boat. but if i open the front door the dog came too and stay there always curious and pretend she dont care what i am doing... but always looking with one eye, jaja.

dog.jpg

she is simba our rhodesian 45 kilos dog.... but to be clear the dog and the rabbit never are allowed to be together. if this happen the rabbit run for her life..

Looking very good Pablo. I have been following the pandemic in Chile and it looks like you have a long way to go, I hope your country can get on top of it soon.
    I Hope your dog makes makes a better navigator than mine!
    20190426_082641.jpg

hello, this week was finished all the planking, so we took the whiskey toast!
    the boat look nice, and canīt wait to turn over it but this is not going to happen yet as i need to epoxy and glass the hull.

20200809_144130.jpg

with my wife we took the deserved toast. she is working hard with me in some parts like paint, filleting, and choose the colors...also need a name, is called the pandemic boat for now.

actually we are working a lot in the inside of the hull, the "cave", doing the stringers and bulkhead filleting, a work long and bored but is going nice as we only filleted the corners up side so later will be the turn to do the corners dow face once we turn over the hull.

20200806_195703.jpg

also needed to do a steam protection or continue the shape of the keel, i dont want to had a very fine entry bow because is so easy to damage, so i preffer for a more wide one, and strong, so first i took the shape of the bow.

20200807_163659.jpg

with this device I took the lines or curve of the bow and then transfer this curve to a table and set up all the gear and wooden blocks to laminate this piece on the table. i could do it on the same hull but this means to use some screews to fix the strips of wood and I want to avoid any more screws on the hull.

20200809_122851.jpg

so this took the curve easily just put the wood on the table, put some force on it and apply boiling water to the wood, 6 liters total and wait and the wood get the shape without complain. the next day was possible to glue all together, shape it and try or test to the hull.

20200809_125155.jpg

so the piece will be glued to the hull, no screws on it. and also i put two layers of fiberglass on the bow edge. so to figure how to glue it without screws will be a funny job to do.

but also i need to put the bow u-bolt, so this will be another quest . to find a long drill and accurate to go to the other side....lets see tomorrow.

cheers to all

You’re making great progress Pablo/wife. Looking excellent. I too limit the use of screws and enjoy the challenge of attaching pieces without them.
    Good luck to Chile and all S.American countries withe Covid battle.

Nice progress to the pandemic boat!
    Thumps up Pablo.

A well deserved whisky, Cheers to you both
    You Could hold the outer stem on with temporary screws, and remove them when the glue dries.
    Pandemic boat looking great!

hello, we are still working in our boat, and too back at the hospital work almost like normal.
    the boat demand a lot of work, i finished the keel , glued it and shaped. then i drill a hole on it and the stem to put a eye bolt on it. i did first on the stem and then on the bow keel. not so easy but wit some orthopedic cannulated drill no was a problem, used to drill holes like that on bone and is normally a good style to reach the correct point jaja!
    then we with the great help of my wife who are more keen to do work in the boat, she likes this handcraft too we fiberglassed the whole hull. and no i am in the tedius part of fairing and sanding. then more epoxy fairing and sanding. soon will use some totalboat epoxy primer 2 hands and the hull will be ready to be turned upside.

20200810_155232.jpg

first drill a pilot drill wire about 2.5 mm diameter all the 10 cm plywood steam and try to go in the middle on the other side and control it with the phone camera because i cant see it directly , the hole is too small for put my head on it. and the pilot arrive just in the middle !!

20200810_155352.jpg

just in the correct place....if failed to reach this can be re done severals times because the wire is very thin. in real surgery we use x-rays to control it, here is not so easy jaja.

20200810_160325.jpg

then used the same thin drill as a guide and the cannulated larger drill, about 8 mm did the hole, and later some larger drill bit made the 13 mm hole for the large eyebolt i can get.

20200810_161435.jpg

this are the set of different cannulated drill bits.

so the stem laterl was covered and glued with the keel bow extension. a laminated 3 layers wood pices. and the hole for the eyebolt was epoxied inside to protect the wood.

20200810_184735.jpg

so the stem and false laminated stem on site. glued and filleted to the hull. i will use this eyebolt to hand the bow of the boat later to turn it on site. my work place has enought room to turn on site the boat, this will be a interesting thing to do. may be film the turning.

so, then with my wife, ursula,we did the fiberglassing of the hull. 2 layers of 200 grams bidireccional classic fabric on the gardboad or first plank finishing just at the edge of the second plank, the 1 meter wide fabric was wide enougth. later one layer of 160 graims twill fiberglass was used on the sides, the twill is more flexible to get the shape of the lapstrake planks, so at the main edge between the first and second plank are 3 layers of glass, very strong to take the load sailing or on the trailer.
    more or less 2 liters epoxy each side...

20200822_165125.jpg

first layer of glass, at the bow they cross at the other side to fix better the keel. some plastic to protect the lower planks. one layer one day, next day trim the excess and add the second one, then 2 hand for fill the weave.

20200831_134218.jpg

then we continued with the lower planks, one layer of 160 gr. and one hand to fill the weave.

also the transom got some glass, one layer of 200 and all the edges got 3 or 2 layers of glass crossing it .

20200830_131709.jpg

the area to work was very narrow but ok. here are the fabric fixed first ready to get the epoxy, using the dry method. i much preffer the wet method, first coat with plenty of epoxy the wood and cover with the glass and keep weeting the glass form outside. any way both method worked fine. we used the wet one on the top plank more horizontal and the dry one on the sides.

20200902_182246.jpg

then took the sanding time, with some long boards and machines like 6 inches oscillating sander and a large flat sander i cleaned all the hight spots and faired fine the hull, was 6 hours sanding, got really tired after that...

and now we are doing the final touch or glossy epoxy with some normal epoxy in a very warm room rolling it with a foam roller and then tipping it with some foam brush, something new to me, let se if works.

20200903_194708.jpg

this how looks today, the gardboad needs some filler and fairing befoure call it done.
    this weekend will be for that.

cheers!

Excellent work Pablo. I was about to make a joke about you taking the boat into work so you could use the X-ray to guide the drill but you beat me to it.

what do you use the larger canulated drills for? Or shouldn’t I ask?

I reckon they would be really handy for woodwork but you’ve discovered that. Are they single use items in the surgery?

i wish now after seeing a few boats done, that I had even had the courage to glass my lapstrake build. Bravo

hi andrew, the are not single use, but this set i got used and cheap from ebay, they are used for replacing the inner ligaments on the knee where you must drill the tibia and femur and pass trough the harvested ligament. i now dont do this anymore as i do only foot surgery but cannulated titanium screws are very common to use,and expensive too, and in many times you had a one shot only and this are more accurate way helped by x-ray on site.

the lapstrake planks was sanded and filleted a lot on the hard edges, to get a soft radius otherwise to glass it will be very difficult, and works very fine. just taking care to dont lift one edge when you wet all the glass, we worked from top to bottom wetting the glass and try to avoid much pull down as this lift the fabric on the top concave parts. the thin fabric help too.

cheers

Good work and fast progress Pablo!
    Turning will be a very very rewarding task.
    I liked that cannulated drill very much.
    There are allways new tools and new techniques to learn
    A friend of mine who is a surgeon gave me a very nice gift. A hand held router with diamond cutters that are normaly used for surgery at the ears and skull.
    Very handy some times.
    Have fun building.
    cheers

Great work Pablo! I love this design. How are you planning to turn the hull? I ask because I am planning on turning my hull soon where it sits using the "Spit Roast" method. I think a few Dudley Dix boats have been turned this way. It makes me a bit nervous though. My boat is a Reuel parker Seabright 33, 8 1/2 foot I'm estimating it at 1,500 lbs.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

hi max, yes i know some of this burr, they are great tools.
    about the turning Rigadog, will be the spit roast or turning on the same spot. i can move to the street and turn outside but will be a mess on my street. so i took the dimensions of the shed and i had like 30 cm free to turn it. will install the bow eye first and this will be the front axle and will build something like a big wheel atached to the transome to attach some ropes and pulley to be able to control the speed of the turn. and the bow eye will be attached to some portatil crane to control the elevation of the boat....and build some frame to sit the boat after with some wheels.... a lot to think about but firts it to finish the sanding and filling the hull, 2 hands of epoxy primer and then turn the hull. will be great to do a video about that.

Thanks, do you worry about the stress on the eye bolt? I'm trying to come up with another way, perhaps a wooden wheel built around the front a few feet back that would rest on a pair of rollers.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Pablo, I turned my Oughtred Grey Seal 22’ lapstrake with one nylon web strap looped from a gantry at mid ships, around belly of boat, and two people for and aft. Went surprisingly easy. Probably could’ve done it with one balancing and the other turning. All-up I had ten people there! Actually another person for placement of towels comes in handy, so strap doesn’t rub too much
    In your first picture at #78 I see you have roof beams that look adequate. The weight is born near ends of beam where it is supported by walls.
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 09-08-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Pablo, I turned my Oughtred Grey Seal 22’ lapstrake with one nylon web strap looped from a gantry at mid ships, around belly of boat, and two people for and aft. Went surprisingly easy. Probably could’ve done it with one balancing and the other turning. All-up I had ten people there! Actually another person for placement of towels comes in handy, so strap doesn’t rub too much
    In your first picture at #78 I see you have roof beams that look adequate. The weight is born near ends of beam where it is supported by walls.
    What do you think the hull weighed at that point? Was the strap attached to the hull, did it slide through a roller? Or did you use ropes to actually turn it?

Hi Guys, I understand your concerns about the off centre bowsprit. I felt the same but you get used to it by the time you finish the boat. You do get a lot of questions about it though. One thing to remember is if you put it on the centreline it can't fold back on deck because the mast will be in the way. It would have to be removed and re fitted every time you launch which is another thing to do every time.
    I can help you out with the Stainless fittings if you get stuck Pablo. I sent a kit of parts to America last year, but this is not the place to talk business.
    I turned my hull over using 2 slings with a chain block at each end attached to my shed walls. I have used this method many times and turned Sealion over with only one helper.
    With the hull removed from the building frame and the slings under the boat lift it up a bit using the chain blocks. Then start to lower one side while lifting the other, continue lifting and lowering until the hull is on it's side. You will find that there is enough friction that the hull will not turn over quickly or out of control and can the be lowered usinc the chain blocks again. There is a picture on my website showing the hull half way over. This is only one way to turn a hull, but I always find it safe and in control.
    Cheers
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    What do you think the hull weighed at that point? Was the strap attached to the hull, did it slide through a roller? Or did you use ropes to actually turn it?
    I think it weighed approx 400- 450kg. (1000lbs) I built a gantry over the hull cos the shed structure isn’t strong enough. Used a 8000kg 4x4 strap attached one end, passed under hull and a chain lifting thingo attached to other end. Lifted hull , took out strong back and slid hull inside strap with some towels for padding. Easy-Peasy, surprisingly so. Some people to hold front and back. I lifted one side then we pulled and shoved to get It to roll over.

Quote Originally Posted by ron jesche View Post
    Hi Guys, I understand your concerns about the off centre bowsprit. I felt the same but you get used to it by the time you finish the boat. You do get a lot of questions about it though. One thing to remember is if you put it on the centreline it can't fold back on deck because the mast will be in the way. It would have to be removed and re fitted every time you launch which is another thing to do every time.
    I can help you out with the Stainless fittings if you get stuck Pablo. I sent a kit of parts to America last year, but this is not the place to talk business.
    I turned my hull over using 2 slings with a chain block at each end attached to my shed walls. I have used this method many times and turned Sealion over with only one helper.
    With the hull removed from the building frame and the slings under the boat lift it up a bit using the chain blocks. Then start to lower one side while lifting the other, continue lifting and lowering until the hull is on it's side. You will find that there is enough friction that the hull will not turn over quickly or out of control and can the be lowered usinc the chain blocks again. There is a picture on my website showing the hull half way over. This is only one way to turn a hull, but I always find it safe and in control.
    Cheers
    Ron
    How do I find your website?

Hi Rigadog,
    My Website is www.stainlesboatworks.com.au. Look in the Dudley Dix section.

Thanks, but link did not work

Since it's super late there, I'll give him a hand - he dropped an S.

Stainless Boatworks

Okay that worked, thanks. I think I get it more or less

thanks guys for all the comment, i will try the roasted chicken method. because dont had more space then turn the boat on site. i had 15 cm clearance at the roof so will be fun!
    but doable.

i painted the hull with epoxy primer from totalboat, nice stuff, very dense. did one hand, sand and painted to try and test some marine coatings from renner, a red one. this too will be sanded to fair any tiny detaails and later only the bottom will be painted with epoxy paint and the sides by poliuretane paint, interlux or epifanes one component, i got bored af mixing paints. lets see. in any case i can paint it over years later.
    also was working on the mast.

i got some pices of doglas fir, oregon pine, from a local lumberyard, but one imported from north america because in chile we gget some oregon pine but bad quiality, they grow like bamboo too fast.
    no was too expensive and fine.
    set up a mast station, routed the birth mouth, glued all together but 3 staves was lef without glue so i got two pieces at the end. then fiberglass inside one layer and put the solid pieces inside and also a plastic pipe to protect the vhf antenna and some wires in the future.

20200913_144058.jpg
    the primer, almost use a 2/3 gallon in one hand, very dense stuff, good to use dome epoxy thinner. but give a good base to the paint. and easy to sand.

20200913_190116.jpg

this how now looks, after the primer. but later was sanded 150 grit all over.

20200927_183603.jpg

and today with my wife we painted the bottom with some epoxy 2 post marine coating from renner. but probably willbe sanded and painted again, may we another color. not ready with the color scheme yet...is not easy jaja.

20200920_201455.jpg

also glued the 2 mini keels to protect the hull and because dont want any screws in the hull i used some hidraulic device to press from the roof. work perfect.

20200907_203249.jpg

so i set up this mast station, a large beam made from plywood layers all glued and some timber beams on the bottom some post in line and the 8 staves ready to be glued and some mini mast i glued just to test the wood.

in the next post will be more about the mast.

by the way my boat now had a name, relicto.

in 1998, with 4 friends we crossed sking and walking the patagonian ice cap in a 98 days expedition, and by radio hf we keep contact with the outside world and our radio name was "relicto team" . the patagonian ice cap if what is left from the last ice age, is a relicto from other ages. so it will be my boat name.

well now the mast.

20200912_162306.jpg

here are glued all the 5 bottom staves and the 3 on top but not glued in betwen this 2 halves, used some plastic tape to avoid get glued. and used severals rope rings and some screw drivers of metal bars to do like 20 spanish windlass to press the mast. work fine. the 2 haves released fine one from the other once the epoxy got hard.

20200918_183248.jpg

then coated from inside with epoxy and one layer of glass tape , trim the edges and sanded . got very solid the pieces.

then glued some soft wood to make the inside solid parts of the mast. the bottom, one in the middle and one on top. used some soft wood laminated with some poliuretane glue, then shaped and try severals times to glued the 2 pieces together with the wood insert too.

20200921_155009.jpg

here is the mast inserts on site and also the plastic pice who run all the mast.

20200921_155020.jpg

the pipe, and some little pieces to keep the plastic pice fixed inside.

20200923_192114.jpg

and later glued all 2 halves in a solid one with the help of severals c clams, much easier then glued all the 8 pieces in one session. and got a really stiff and in line one. now i am in the shaping prosess. first got a good sharp edges on my planers, and start sutting corners and make this 8 side stuff in a proper mast.

so all for now.

thanks.

Fantastic Pablo. With mast, how do you think you will exit the radio wire from inside the mast? Also how do you plan to take wires through cabin-top? I’m planning my mast but have not come across a very satisfactory means to do same thing as you.

This is top work and viewing!

Hi andrew, the plastic pipe is in a straigth line so will be easy to send a wire and then attach the vhf wire and some electric wire too. Probably will do some waterproff box in the lower part of the mast to make the connection inside as ron did in his sealion gourgeous cutter. And the same vhf will go trough the roof close to the tabernacle. But as you i dont get to this point yet. In the plans says to use a solid wood core on top in the stays and shrouds attanchment and a bolt trough the mast. But inside is the wires so i will dont use a bolt istead a wooden small ledge to hold the metal ring on top ass old style boats do. Now i am shaping the mast do will be left wider in this place to leave the ring sitted on it.....later one photo will be more clear. But i will avoid trought bolts in the boom and mast ass possible. Only in the tabernacle is not problem to me. Cheers.

Hi Guys, I have my anchor light and my wind instrument wires coming down the mast though plastic conduit like Pablo has done. I have a waterproof junction box at the bottom of the mast where the cables join. I can undo the wires here when lowering the mast. I have my VHF aerial on a bracket on the transom. It would be better on top of the mast but it is difficult to make a waterproof fitting with the co axial cable for the aerial, especially when it needs to be undone every time the mast is raised or lowered.
    Nice work on the mast Pablo, I also made mine in 2 halves, makes it easy to fit the conduit. Good luck with the colour scheme!

hi folks. everything here is fine, a lot of work at the clinic, and less on the boat , but still going on. i plan to sail this out next october 2021 so must be finished. here spring got some hot days , epoxy and paints set up really fast.

so i keep sanding and shaping the mast, use on the last step a sand band attached to one electric drill, works fine, but hand work and orbital sander are great too. now we are on the process of varnishing it to protect the wood.

20201011_183750.jpg

so my wife took the varbishig job seriously , 8 hand i guess ands some sanding in between, poliuretane one pot clear varnish, then some white epoxy paint on top. laterl whe the rigging process begin will add some metal ring on top and some wood blocks to hold the stays and wire. a very simple rigg but traditional.

the we sanded again the last paint, epoxy red, to aply some gray one on the underwater department to keep that colour. is so thick paint i need some trials and errors to find the good conbination of paint and thinner to get a better paint.

20201005_121926.jpg

here manuel, a friend is painting and we tried the roll and tipping method but didnt work on this stage, so thick paint, 20%n thinner was not enought, next try will be 30 or more and test on some scrape wood.

20201011_192707.jpg
    this is my cart to be used when i flip over the boat. to be able to move it a little and safe.

20201012_191216.jpg

the got some large 12 mm piece of ultrahevyweight polietilene plastic, the same used for make dynema rope and knee and hip plastic bearing surface. is the same on ski soles too. very little friction coaficient and strong and dont get water as nylon does or stronger then teflon too. so i did some templates , router that and got avery good keel protection.

20201012_195529.jpg

so this will be screewed to the keel with some ss creww or some silicon bronze one, then re driller the hole on the keel, filled with some epoxy and then screwed again.