Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

Default Re: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

20200130_161106.jpg20200130_163031.jpg
    Hi Pablo, 42 degrees here in South Australia today. Too hot for welding and polishing stainless steel this afternoon, so sailing and a swim instead. Some photo's of what you have to look forward to. Looking forward to our holiday in Chile and Argentina in one month. Hope we can meet up. Ron

hi ron. nice photo. one question i had about the wooden roof. doesnt get to hot and the same too slippery...i also will like to get this wooden roof but not so sure about this issue.
    in march sure we can meet us.

20200201_200230.jpg

this is the centerboard case, one half with the wooden sides already glued. in this case i dont to glue all arround and close forever the case, i will keep uno side, the upper part open to first put inside the centerboard laterl once the boat hull is ready and turned over and second i want to be able to look inside the case always i needed. will be closed by some watertight lid of course but i dont like this totaly closed centerboard case.

20200123_212333.jpg the board, 2 hand of epoxy heavy duty 2 pots paint.

Hi Pablo, I really like the wooden hatch. It is not too slippery, it does get a little warm but it is not a problem. It also gives a little more head room inside. I like that you can stand on my hatch when raising the mast, and also when you are moving around on deck. The acrylic hatch in the plans can not be stepped on, and could be a problem if someone falls on it. This is the reason I have built a different hatch. I can send some pictures and drawings when you get to that stage. I have used this hatch design many times and it works well with no leaks.
    Leaving the top of the centreboard case open is a nice idea especially if you get something stuck in there.

hi. just coming back after summer holidays. some nice days camping and sailing my pathfinder in colico lake 600 km south of santiago.
    20200216_163408.jpg

20200216_173650.jpg

after that was time to keep going. i finished the centercase, painted with some heavy duty epoxi white paint and then glued both sides but first check i had enougth clearance both sides to move the centerboard inside and was like 3 mm each sides

20200203_191452.jpg

and also check had enougth room inside the case.

20200203_195304.jpg

so then i remove the centerboard and put aside waiting until i finish the hull, turn over and then will move this heavy stuff inside the case by the open top i left for that.

this is the case glued and reinforced. also the holes for the pivot bar was covered by a carbon fiber tube i did rolling a carbon tape arround an pvc pipe and the fit this inside the holes of the centerboard and the certer case all to make this edges waterproof and protected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the centercase, was glued witrh epoxy and some screws .
    the edges of the pivot hole was covered by some pipe made by carbon fiber tape arround a pvc pice and the trimed to fit the hole. work fantastic.

20200204_205025.jpg

the upper part of the case will be open, to fit inside the centerboard and check inside easily. will find some lid to cover of course when sailing.

this hole is for the rope to move the centerboard-

20200204_205042.jpg

20200203_211340.jpg

this are the reinforced parts to the pivot area and the black circle inside the hole is the carbon fiber self made pipe.

20200202_103116.jpg

this is the jig to make this pipe. just turn the tape and paint with epoxy and then later cober with peelply to remove the excess.

20200202_122835.jpg

here is the pipe already inside the pivot hole, glued in epoxy , later was sanded and painted again. this inside pipe protect the wood from the metal bar where pivot the centerboard. probably will be made by silicon bronze or other stuff,

now i took some time to work my workshop.
    is just big enought to the boat to be builded inside so i need all walls clear to work arround easily. close by i had another room or small workshop to make some pieces or work becuse the boat will fill all in this.

i will love to had another better and bigger workshop but keep my shop in my house is the price to pay for it.

20200308_191606[1].jpg

and one thing i hope to keep along the work is to record how heavy is everything to know at last how heavy is the boat.

this is the centerboard at last.

20200310_202614[1].jpg

one good thing about my trip to the south of chile is i found a nice plywood factory the last one in chile who still make full native wood plywood with resorcinol waterproof glued and good quality so i am waiting for some 30 boards of 9 mm made by our local oak tree. so no more pine in the boat.
    once i got the new boards will go to the cnc company and get done the rest of the pieces.

Doing a great job. Look forward to seeing that new plywood. And, no matter how big your workshop, it will always eventually get filled with stuff so that stuff is being moved to make room.

hi, I hope all are ok with this covid pandemia. no yet cuarentain in chile but sure will be soon. the numbers are getting bad day by day.
    at least i got time to keep working in the boat.

so i set up the wooden frame to mount the bulkheads following the plans and the shop now got smaller then ever.

20200319_180959.jpg

then set up all the post the most scuare i can get. all laminated pine wood glued with this white carpenter glue. enought for this and then moved trought the small porter cable jointer i had. a dangerous tool must to agree. i am a ortopedist doctor and is very common to get some hand injury not by this jointer because are not so common in chile but the grinder machine is the most dangerous mainly because the people adapt some circular saw blade at the grinding machine and this is a dangerous tool.

so i started setting up the post and frames. with the help from the laser lever.

20200321_193401.jpg

first i hang the bulkhead from a rope attached to the shop roof to set the bulhead at the correct altitude then move side to side and check with the laser. it works much better at the evening or dark time because the light is not so strong

20200320_230617.jpg

and today i completed setting all the frame, fixed them with some drywall screews with washer and tomorrow will glue the keel and may be the centercase.

20200322_160715.jpg

i must to say the boat is getting shape and fill al the room with enought space to work arround. may be tomorrow will get the wood for the stringers, scarf them and set up in the frames.

20200322_165935.jpg

stay at home and take care.

Post Re: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

Isn´t it nice when the frames are set up and suddelnly there is a boat.
    I glued the frames to the posts with epoxy fillets..
    That was to prevent movenment when bending in the stringers and planking,
    They were easy to remove later with a chisel and heat gun.
    Drywall screws in soft wood might move a little under forece otherwise.
    Too I added some additional diagonal braces.
    Take care with the transom. It is easy to get the height wrong which will result in a odd looking stern.
    The planking thickness has to be removed from the height above dwl.
    The transom outside height is 12mm below the dwl, meassured along the backside of it, not vertical.

Good to read your comment about angel grinders and saw blades. I actually thought about this set up and was wondering how dangerous it is.

Have fun and stay healthy
    Max

IMG_4944 by capitan Max, on Flickbr /> IMG_4946 by capitan Max, on Flickr

One other thing to consider Pablo is to add an extra piece to each side of the stem up to the first bulkhead and maybe even up to bulkhead 2.
    There is a lot of force when fitting the first planks and this helps keep the stem straight .It adds minimal weight bit makes it much stiffer and also gives a little more thickness for attaching the stringers.
    I have also seen guys using angle grinders with saw blades in them, it is common practice with aluminium boat builders,but so dangerous!
    If you look at some of my YouTube videos and look at my face you can see where an angle grinder blade shattered and went diagonally accross my mouth. Surgery that night for me. I have to use an angle grinder daily in my work but am now very cautious and use a protective shield.
    A tale warning to all builders not to get complacent with power tools.
    Take care in these difficult times.
    Ron

hi. thanks for the advice. i guess i finish setting the frames. tomorrow will glue the keel. scarf the stringers, set up the centerboard case.

thanks ron, i buld the keel with 3 pices, 1 of 12 mm and both sides another 9 mm so is 3 layers of plywood strong enought to the next step. also did some small doblers at the edges at the lower part of bulkhead 1,2 to had more surface to work.
    the transom i agree with max, thanks max is not easy to find the right place. i follow your angle and mesurement. thanks again.
    one thing i miss is to be able to look the boat from distance. something in my small shop impossible.

stay at home and well.

20200324_202201.jpg
    the transome and his support .

20200324_200529.jpg

the keel extra thick.

20200324_201041.jpg

and from the front door.

20200324_200431.jpg

Yes 3 laminations for the stem will be good.
    I did not have much width in my shed either. To make fitting the first 2 planks easier I only attached the stringers for the these 2 planks at first. this is enough to stiffen up the bulkheads and gives you more room to get around and makes getting underneath easier. I fitted the rest of the stringers as the planks went on.
    Cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55537[/ATTACH
    Here is a picture showing what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Same here! I did see the hull in its full beauty for the first time when we turned the hull outside the shed.
    Take care and stay healthy.

hello to all. i hope all are ok in good health and take this difficult time wisely. we are still ok in chile but the curve is getting steep very fast.
    at least some work to be done, but is not easy to find the energy all the time.

i got the nice wood for the stringer, scarfed and rounded the edges. also set up the centerboard case in place. some glue some fiberglass in some parts .

20200325_184450.jpg

first scarf the fist 2 stringer each side to work easily close to the boat. later will finish the rest. scarf 8:1

20200325_190000.jpg

with this jig i cut all the stringer in one row. then glued together.

20200325_173208.jpg

and shaped to the true size.

20200408_141928.jpg

this wood, coigue, a nothfagus, is a local tree evergreen very caracteristic from our cold forest from patagonia, is nice medium weight no knots at all and very flexible.

20200403_173152.jpg

then i sanded and try to fit easily the stringers in each notch , this is easy with this small file sander not a expensive one froom wen. loudy but works fine and great too to sand epoxy fillet in thsi difficult corners.

then also fitted the certer case. not so easy...to find the correct possition. etc.

20200327_193310.jpg

and because my centerboard case is wider then original i did to cut the notches wide too.

20200327_201711.jpg

but now we had the spine fixed... time to do some epoxy fillet in the corners, some fiberglass on top of this fillet and some peel ply strips to get a smooth result. sand sand epoxy paint again.

20200331_192534.jpg

20200403_173215.jpg

then sand this round fillet withthe help of this sander.

20200408_115207.jpg

one last time to check how horizontal is all with this little device, works fantastic. i got a little bored of the laser lever because move to much, also the bubble level i had are fine but this is much exact and easy. , look fine to me.

now i will shape the keel and fit and glue the first 2 stringers to work easily in the planks and the keel. is not easy to shape this keel is a big piece of wood and the angle change in every section. time to sharpen my tools too!

Good to see ya kickin around the shop. Nice progress. That file sander is a very nice tool! Now the fun really starts ;-D

Wonderful project to watch, and you do excellent, precise work! Then again, if anyone has had the privilege of watching orthopedic surgery in action, the first thought that comes to mind is carpentry - Kobalt make a line of tools specifically for the OR and they look just like the hardware store versions. For all I know they're the same!

Wishing you and everyone else safety and health as well.

Nice to see your progress Pablo. I always like this stage of construction where the parts come together and look like a boat. We have now finished out two weeks isolation after returning from Chile. We are doing reasonably well with the virus here in South Australia with 400 cases and only 2 or 3 new cases daily, as long as everyone keeps doing the right thing we should be ok. We are allowed to use our boats here as long as there are only a maximum of two people on board who live in the same house. I am planning to go for a sail by myself tomorrow. I have sailed 'Sealion' every week since launch and have now not been out for almost 6 weeks and can't wait to go for a sail again.Building is a lot of fun but you will really enjoy sailing your Cape Henry. Take care everyone.

hi folks, working is good for this special time.
    so i put the first 2 pair of stringers, i will keep the rest after y finish the first plank and the keel to work easier. so thanks all for the advice.

first i shaped the keel and stem, not so easy, used every tool i had. the drawknife works great too. a lot of dust. but finally i got some nice shape.

20200410_133302.jpg

then dry fit the 4 stringers, sand better the notches, to adjunt all fair and level always thinking to the next move with the plywood plancks.

also get the bevel in the keel. i got great help with this makita router jig where yopu can change the angle easy and router all at the same angle. very dusty work indeed and noisy. so i use full protection.

20200410_184252.jpg

20200410_124838.jpg

20200411_175224.jpg

hi guys.
    i found a problem in the boat and now i am fixing it. when i assambled the certerboard case leave some clarance about 3 mm for the centerboard to move freely. but when i glued it in position i foorgot to put some dummy wood pieces inside to keep the wide and the correcto clearance to the board. now i check it and lost somoe 5 mm so it get too narrow at the top, or the bottoom when the boat will be turned arround. so i remove all the epoxi and fillet to release the presure from the bulkhead and hamered some wooden pegs to the correct size.

20200419_180348.jpg

so no was too difficult to cut witrh the apropiate oscilant saw. but bored.

at least some good news today, because i got the plywood from the south of chile, 1000 km by truck, a nice oak 9 mm marine grade plywood. so now i had a enougth and hope to send it to the cnc cutting shop this week if the are working...dont know with the covid issue.

20200420_145507.jpg

at leat 700 kg , was very slow drive home with this cargo.jaja

Driving home with a truck load of plywood always puts a grin on my face....

hi guy, keep working , some advance.
    i repair the mistake i did about the centercase, first remove all the epoxy fillet and release the bulkhead in the middle of the case then hammered some wooden plugs 56 mm wide to keep the opening wide enought to my 52 mm wide centerplate.

then i did some planking , just the first 20 cm in the centerline with some extra plywood like a dummy plank to get the curve and angle, so i will make the keel now following this shape in situ , this keel one piece will be removed later and shaped and once the boat will be planked or at least the first real plank, then i will set up the keel again. i guess less work and the pieces will take the curve easier so i will use the same boat as a template to the keel glued in layers.

20200422_192614.jpg

here are the new epoxy fillet with some peel ply and the wooden plugs inside the mouth of the case.

20200426_145741.jpg

this is the base of the keel, screwed to this half plank following the curve...

20200426_171116.jpg

because i still waiting for my cnc cut to be done in the plywood sheet, i got the lumber to do the spars to save time. the boom will be from local wood, a really nice one, in the picture is glued the the boom, but the bowsprit and the mast will be douglas fir, for american origin. becuase it is imported to chile i was afraid will be too expensive but not was at all, may be 20% more expensive then local wood only, the grain and easy shaping of the douglas fir is amazing, very easy.

20200425_113442.jpg

this is the bowsprit, i glued longer pieces because i dont decide yet how will be my set up from this, may be a little longer inside the boat to the samson post. not sure yet. so longer the better.

20200413_182156.jpg

also because i has some time i assambled severals small pieces to reinforce some stringers joints, at the bow and at the transom, are made by 5 layers of 3mm plywood glued with epoxy and one layer of fiberglass in between each layer, all the wood was hot water soaked first to get the shape then next day glued, sanded and then glued at the corners i want to reinforce. nice litle jobs.

so stay home and safe.

Have a think about the bowsprit Pablo. It works very well as designed and is easy to stow for trailering without having to remove it. Good to leave it long as you can always cut it down later. Douglas fir is very nice to work with,lucky that you could get some, I am making 2 masts for builders here in Australia but it is very difficult to find nice Dougas Fir here.

hello. another week pass by...and the work keep going on. sometimes slow other more active. next week will start working again at the hospital...lets see.

i finished glueing the spart but the mast. and also remove the keel from the boat to work on it outisde the boat and i am adding more pieces to make it longer. is really long this...

y also dry fit the fist plank the one at the front and normally is the most difficult. i set it more or less easy and put some boiling water on it once in place to get more shape. next mornig the board took the shape.

i dont know is is ok but looks fine to me.

20200503_150632.jpg

this is the keel once released from the frame. took the shape nicely.

20200503_151059.jpg

this is the whole keel,. now i fill all the gaps and shape it. then will add more heigth to the rear part of it. also drill some holes for the metal bars on it to fit again once the boat hul is done.

20200505_180757.jpg

today glued the last part. is 40 cm tall on the rear, later on will be sanded and fiberglassed on site.

also the dry fit first plank goes fine to me..20200501_181301.jpg

the hot water help a little to ease the tension on the external layer...let see when i glued all together. one stringer in the middle is not touching the board once screewed it will take more carving shape in the middle.

20200501_193452.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Max F View Post
    Angle grinders and saw blades. I actually thought about this set up and was wondering how dangerous it is.
    Oo That sounds like a recipe for desaster!

nice choice boat

hello. some progress at last.
    i finished the gardboar in one side and almot the other, here in the south is getting colder so the epoxy need at least 2 days to remove the clams, so everything take a little longer-.

i dry fitted the plank, work fine so i mark where are the stringers and mask this to be fiberglassed all inside with 200 grm/2 remove the strips so i leve bare wood to be glued with wood also.
    this way i guess will save a lot of time when flip over the boat if i wish to fiberglass inside the boat too, as i wish.

20200513_141508.jpg

both front plank on site glued and faired. looks nice to me.

20200514_195824.jpg

i remove almost all the screews used to push the board and get a good bonding. then fill each hole with a wooden matches and epoxy to avoid air traps.

20200516_160815.jpg

to get a better jigsag scarf used this barril sander to remove any unfairness in the patron. works fine after that.

20200516_163132.jpg

this is the rear part of the gardboard with lines ready to be fiberglassed.

20200516_174022.jpg

this is glassed and later when was not completly hard i remove the strips betwen the pannels. i used this frame to keep the curved shape of the board to be easy to glue later but no was needed , this didnt take the curve and no was difficult to glue it to9 the frame.
    so i plan to plank the hull first complete the first plank, set the keel, glue it too, fiberglass it and then move to the next plank and always fiberglassing for inside first.

thanks.

Hi Pablo.
    How are things in Santiago, I saw a report that things are not too good there at the moment.
    Garboards look great. I also glassed the inside of my planks before fitting them with very light cloth, it gives a nice surface for paint later on.
    Cheers Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron jesche View Post
    Hi Pablo.
    How are things in Santiago, I saw a report that things are not too good there at the moment.
    Garboards look great. I also glassed the inside of my planks before fitting them with very light cloth, it gives a nice surface for paint later on.
    Cheers Ron

hi ron, we are close to failure point in our health system. santiago complete is in cuarentain now.

we are ok but is a long wait. next weeks will be critical.

meanwhile i use my time building the boat, when i first got the idea to build it I was always thinking will be in a 3 years time more or less. now will be much shorter time i guess. almost look like a work now!

one question...in the inside did you full glassed, i mean the 3 hands of epoxy like to fill the wave or was only one good hand to fix the fabric and then paint it just like that?

also pretend to aply fiberglass to the exterior side in a comple 3 hands of epoxy at least.

another point , did you leave severals screews on the boat or did you remove all of them once the epoxy get hard. and if you leave some, wich metal did you use?

I pretend to leve some strategicall places, mainly stainless screws.

what happened about your facebook cape henry idea?

well cheers!

Pablo, I glassed the inside of all my planks before fitting them. I used 120 gram cloth. This is very fine and is what they use on surfboards. It is not necessary for strength but stops the plywood checking and gives a much better finish for painting. I always use peel ply when glassing to help fill the weave and make less sanding. I see you used it on your centreboard. It does cost a bit, but you end up using less epoxy. The exterior of my boat is also completely sheathed with a layer of fibreglass. I used 160 gram double bias cloth, twill would be good also but I used what I had already. I keep my boat in the water all year so exterior fibreglass is necessary to keep a good finish. Be careful not to use too heavy fibreglass because you do not want to add too much weight.
    I usually remove all screws. If I do leave them in i use stainless steel. With the structure of these boats it is not really necessary to leave any screws in. I don't even have the bolts through the keel.I have fibregalssed it heavily to the hull over large diameter epoxy fillets. I have never had any problems with this method.
    I have been in contact with some other owners and will most probably go ahead with the Facebook group. I will let you know.
    Take Care

hi. i am still busy with this large wooden keel. now is almos done , today was a little sunny so i took the chance and fiberglassed one side. and also fiberglass the v connection on the rear of the boat, making the area ready to recive this keel.
    also did the holes along the keel witha extra long blade drill. now need to find some 6 mm stainless steel bar to connect the keel to the hull. i know some of you didnt use this bolts but i will do.

20200530_124918.jpg

the long drill in place. i did first the holes when was smaller the pice so now the drill bit just follow the hole...exit in the right place at least.

20200530_124933.jpg

20200530_141335.jpg

2 layers of 200 gr2 biaxial glass and peel ply .i need to shaper a little more fine the trailing edge. but because this boat will stay half time in a trailer i want to build the keel strong enought.

20200530_154435.jpg

the slot for the centerboard is done, now fiberglassed the v bottom with 2 layers of 200 biaxial glass as the plans says. will be the same the other side plus the keel on top. after that i will begin with the next plank. a little bored of this keel prosess and need to move on.
    20200530_174454.jpg

epoxy + 2 tapes in one time then peel ply and my friend the hot gun to roll one foam roller on top to blend the epoxy and the peel ply smooth.

peel ply is not so cheap, i will say expensive even fiberglass was cheaper then this fabric in my local store, so i got this from aliexpress china at a very cheap price....

cheers!

hello , the winter is here with us in chile so this means shorter days and colder. so epoxy takes 2 or 3 days to get hard. but still working as the whole city is in cuarentain and I go to my hospital just a few hours a day. the rest is used in my shipyard...

i finished the boom and gaff and did the sacrilege of epoxy and fiberglass both to protect the wood. in other boats i only varnished. i will see if is a good or not choice. but looks ok to me.
    also i finished the keel and also glued it to the boat.
    now i am working on the bottom planks fiberglassing it from inside.

one funny thing was the plans call for 4 6mm stainless steel bolt to fix and secure the keelson to the bottom of the boat. this will be a problem to go out and buy this, then i remember my old boxes full of medical devices, for severals years i worked with external fixators or ilizarov frames, this impressive metal rings fixed to the bone to get longer bones or limbs just by turning a nut every days. so once the pacient finish his treatment i remove the devices in a short surgery and all the frame, rings and nuts and bolt get to discard. so sometimes after cleaning i keep some of this rings and bolt at home and the metric M6, 6 mm diameter rod and 1 mm pitch is the same dudley dix, the designer call in the plans. so lucky me i got 4 perfect rods 300 mm stainless steel 316 form free. the 1 mm pitch means in one 360° turn the nut move or advance 1 mm and this was the magical number doctor ilizarov from russia discovered several years ago the bone once cut can grow and treat this way many congenital and traumatic bone problems.

20200620_194013.jpg

so this are the plans and the rod used. i drill with a long 8 mm spade drill and then inserted the rod hammering it and then fill in with epoxy the larger hole .

20200614_173040.jpg

this are the rod fixed and glued inside the keelson. by the way this rabbit on the background, she lives on her own in the garden for the last 6 years. she got feed from every grass, my wife´s flowers and wood shaves she can find. also epoxy!.

20200620_193306.jpg

the box full of rods. so i will find more places to use them!

20200616_200857.jpg

so in a long evening i sanded the surface, set everything for the great moment and glued the keelson with large amount oof thickened epoxy, my choice cabosil or aerosil this silika powder and wood flour dust well mixed. plus the 4 bolts though the hull and severals clamps and devices to compress the keelson all along the bottom. all the excess of epoxy was used to fill the corners in a soft fillet and some peel ply to get a better job.

3 days later did i remove the clamps, now i must to work the corner fillet , will aply some fiberglass tape on this or may be some carbon tape. i think is the same.

20200616_205851.jpg

Probably the highest grade of stainless steel build into a boat ever.
    Nicely done I really like the shape of your skeg.