Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

Default Re: Building a cape henry 21 gaff cutter.

hi, some weeks since last post. i keep working on the boat, our covid restriction are worse then ever now even with 5 millions vaccined already...and the work at the hospital in my area, orthopedist is less then normally so will be more time for the boat...nice.

with some friend took a week off to do some exploration and climbing in one of the remote aysen fiords to accent the maca volcano, the weather and the cold forest didnt cooperate but was a nice trip and good to use the legs for some time. hope to came back next spring..,.

DJI_0309.jpg

this was our goal. too far away for the 6 days round trip. next time with more time will be better but at least we opened a 1000 meters up trail on the forest for the next attempt.

DJI_0320.jpg

this was our isolated fiord, fiordo vera, 4 hours by speed boat from puerto cisnes, aysen. and the forest is something amazing full of life but hard to walk.

on the boat now i am working on both sides , the cockpit and the front triangle where i wish to make some different desing and set up some hatch to store the anker and ropes...still thinking about that but the bowsprit is in the middle....

and also working on my cockpit, did finish the 2 large store compartment and lids, and also the false floor with some large wooden hatch too. and the sides and the transson desing....

20210228_161638.jpg

the 2 large storage compartment, with some lateral channels to keep water out, also can see the false floor with this hatche. this false floor will be glued on site but not too strong so to be able some day to remove complete and do some work on it if is needed. some pipes will delivery the water to the engine well.

20210320_121255.jpg

and the cockpit lateral walls will be raised on the front, to seat on it and then thin to one simple wall on the rear and also some kind of deck will be on top of the transome ....

let see how look after....

Looking great Pablo! ANd I envy you your opportunity and ability g=to get out into the mountains My knees are too far gone for that kind of hiking anymore.

Oh man, I miss the mountains.
    I got a new ice axe 2 years ago for my birthday and still had no way to use it.
    Good to see your progress on the boat Pablo.
    Cheers Max

Nice progress Pablo.
    I also changed the foredeck to make an enclosed anchor hatch, it works well and I keep the anchor on an anchor roller on the bow.
    Great photos of the mountains. We are lucky here, our geographic isolation has kept the pandemic away and except for travel our lives are almost normal. I can go sailing almost every week
    Best Ron

hi guys, was a long time without news, but the work was fine, we still are in lockdown in santiago, chile, more then half population vaccined but the disease still arround so at least i had time to work on the boat, but we are in winter here and the cold make everything slower with the epoxy...
    the boat process is in good speed, i finished almost all the interior, and the front deck too, and the cockpit is almost done, tomorrow will be the great day of painting inside and the cockpit,.

on the front deck, i build a large area to keep the anchor and rodes under deck , and leave a place in the middle to the bowsprit, yes this guy will go in the middle, not on one side.

20210329_193053.jpg

so here is the beams for the foredeck, the 2 together will be to support the poles for the bowsprit and the large box under i guess will be very usefull, is waterproff to the inside cabin and inside the cabin is almost not a issue tom use the front beds with this box on the roof.

20210530_130422.jpg

here is the front deck, ready to be fiberglassed and the hatches to reach under deck, the triangle in the front also will be covered, the lid of both hatches are ready.

20210525_135855.jpg

here are the lids of both hatches and another one from the cockpit. both sides fiberglassed as always. take some time to do this stuffs,

next i move to the cockpit. and did the very scary thing of cutting the motor hole...

20210504_190640.jpg

so did the radius cut wit some large forstner drill and some jig saw. the piece i remove is really strong with all the layers of fiberglass both sides, make me feel a lot of confidence in the hull strengt.

20210504_193952.jpg

is a really strong piece, i step on it, hammered and nothing. very fine .now inn the motor area i am doing the fillets wit some fiberglass powder to get a stronger fillets and glass tape on top of it. the are under the cockpit floor is really large and is a shame to lost is or dont had a proper access to it so manage to leave some kind of 2 doors on the floor to reach this are. where i plan to store gas for the motor in longer trips or something like that.

so more photos on the next post...

so keep posting the work done on this couple of months,

the cockpit was finished, the motor well and even tested mi tohatsu 3.5 4 strokes engine on it. looks fine.

20210416_174450.jpg

fist i shaped the transom different, is 5 cm higher because i changed a little the sheerline of the boat on the rear, i like more curvy up on this side. and the transom i like to be larger and wider not just a flat plywood here. so is with some curved plywood frame and now is really strong, a perfect place for the traveller. the rudder was builded a liltle higher too long time ago...

20210605_174654.jpg

now the cockpit looks like that, wit some waterproof hatches to use all this area, the motor well and 2 doors on the floor, the larger one with some channles o gutters under it to collect water and bring it to the engine well and the second with some high edges to keep some water out. in the smaller will be inside the gas tank,

20210514_195731.jpg

this is the motor well, all filleted and ready to cover up. the engine seats on a large vertical piece reinforced with severals layers of heavy 600 gr fiberglass, really strong, and later i will add a wooden beam to give plenty of support to the engine.

20210515_125246.jpg

this is the engine, later i curved the wooden plywood piece where is attached the motor to correct the tilt of the engine and reinforced it with glass. the front area will be covered with one hatche to be used like gas tank area.

and on the inside, both sides of the kitchen are ready. on port side is the kitchen with some large mobile box under it and 2 shelves and on the startboard side it is narrow only for a small sink and water supply and leave a large vertical area to storage hanging the sailing wet clothes and boots under it.

20210429_200350.jpg

Looking spectacular Pablo!

Nice mate!

Good to see you still going in our winter Pablo. I find that it’s hard to start when we get down to our low temps. You’re doing a great job. I like that piece you cut out and tested!

thanks all, yes is moving forward the proyect.

paint is not my best friend, but one must to agree the paint give a real change how the boat looks.

i added some poliuretane one component enammel inside, some epoxy 2 components on the bilge and floors and a high solids automotive primer on the cockpit...

20210626_161657.jpg

20210626_161520.jpg

20210626_161458.jpg

20210626_140455.jpg

20210622_142658.jpg

so, need more sanding, filling details and paint, some hands on it....

Wow, that's great. Paint does change the look of the boat, it looks much bigger now. Thank you for sharing.

Painting is not my best friend either.
    Or let say all the neccesary things inbetween. Like sanding, or sanding and a little more sanding.
    Good musik helps me here a lot to get tuned in. And usuallyI do small manageble sections at evenings. Better than sanding the whole lot at once on a weekend.

What hp motor are you going to use?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

You’re going to have one fine boat when you’re done! Looking great. Love the design!

hello. some update. i am very busy at the hospital now, all getting close to normality. so not so much time for the boat and with our winter here epoxy takes 3 days to set up. so everything move slow.

now the paint job inside is almost done, getting confortable to use the 2 pots poliurethane sherwin whilliams paint. made for cars, works great on epoxy boats too. and much cheaper because is not made for boats jaja...

20210815_182148.jpg

3 hands of foam roller paint. doing some interior work too.

20210815_182119.jpg

forward bunks ready, ample storage underneath.

20210815_182104.jpg

kitchen on port side. a small table on starboard side. some large sliding box under the table. some hinge to access everything. also some wooden floors. under it will be the lead bars very strongly fixed to the boat but also able to remove it if i wish to unload the boat someday.

20210808_193916.jpg

algo a nice hinged table to use also as a step to access outside easily. under it will be the winch to move the centerboard..
    20210815_182039.jpg

and the forward deck with some toe rail and the 2 large hatches to access the anchor and rode compartment. some thin wooden pices will be set on deck, glued with some brown epoxy. later on i will prime and paint color white some part of the deck and also put some sampson post and wooden pieces on top of the toerails..

Spectacular! You're doing a great job on that!

hi. i guess a 6 hp suzuki or like that

Awesome build! Congratulations on the progress, very impressive.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen.

1935 23’ gaff sneekermeer cruiser “Badjak”

hello guys, the boat work continue, but forgot to update the forum for a while...

today finished some parts of the interior and the boat is getting nice shape. i wanted to had the boat ready for this summer, february, here in the southern side of the globe. but now way, need some things first like a new trailer and engine and sails, so i decide to stop and go slowly thinking to get the boat ready for the next season so i had ample time to finish on my way. this summer the old pantfinder will be ok. we will sail it on new ground as we are developing a small new house in the maullin river in the southern part of chile close to chiloe island and there the boats will had her home.

20211129_200500.jpg

the forward interior is almost done. lids and hinges ready. very useful the kind on t-nut system to fix hinges to 9 mm plywood. much stronger then a srew. need to find a way to secure close this doors safely...

20211129_200445.jpg

middship is almost ready, bunks, lids, a zinc, some table for the cooking system, a propane camping one will be ok. and some boxes under it, also a wet hanging locker for the foul weather clothes and some space under all for the boots and shoes.

also did the lateral sides of the cabin, glassed both sides as always and sanded fair to be ready for paint.

20211127_204904.jpg

and the cockpit, sorry for the mess, inevitable jaja. the self draining floor, some under it large area to store gas o wathever, 4 lateral waterproof hatches , some large hatches both sides of the engine and the motor well. need some details and adjustment once i got the correct engine on site. also some wooden flat surface on both sides of the cockpit to seat on it and protect the edges. also some wooden rail on the edge of the seat to take the rub of the use and another hold to stay safe and grab when are seating.

20211101_142020.jpg

the forward deck,almost done, made by some thin layers of hard wood glued to plywood glassed surface, no screws used at all to keek waterprofness and the large openings with waterproof lids to storage the anker and rodes. in the middle will go someway the bowsprit and some anchor post...
    on both sides also run a wooden rubrail for proteccion and a topside made of nice wood curved piece.

20211101_141926.jpg

so next move is to start glueing the cabin roof, glass it both sides and glue on site. but also need some roof beams first, and fix the bowsprit on site too... so some more work for the rest of this damm 2021...

Hi Pablo,
    It is good to see some progress photos, your boat is starting to come together very nicely. It is a shame you won't be ready this summer but it is also good to enjoy the building process. I have Sealion out of the water for some maintenance and will have her ready to launch again for Christmas, I can't wait. Lets hope 2022 is a much better year for the world, I can't believe it is almost 2 years since we were in Chile. It is lucky we were able to fly home when we did, otherwise we would be speaking good Spanish by now!
    Take care Ron

That's looking spectacular, Pablo! I didn't realize how tight your working space was! You're really jammed in there! Like Ron, I'm hoping for a better 2022. Looking forward to seeing the boat from a wider perspective

Wow, spectacular progress.
    A fantastic job done Pablo.

Cheers
    Max

WOW thats great. Thanks for taking the time to update the forum.

hi, yes and thank you all. yes is a narrow space. like a boat in a bottle jaja. i wish to mOve it soon to some large place. but not yet.

First need to finish the house we are building in the river maullin. here i got 1.5 km wide river only 15 km from the ocean, where i pretent to sail it. also build next year a shed to store the boat and probably build some other too... jaja the boat bug in deep inside.

some photos if you like..

20201115_150827.jpg

this is the beach i will use. i magine there a wooden pier...may be a boat house hidden inside the woods...

IMG-20211122-WA0001.jpg

the view from the soon to be done house. from here i can check the sailing ground...

IMG-20211127-WA0020.jpg

i hope will be finished by february...at least this told me the builder... i guess and hope home builder are more precise o reliable on dates then boat builders jaja.

A beautiful place Pablo, you will have a lot of good times there. Yes the boat bug bites hard! My Cape Henry is the 13th boat I have built but I think I an almost cured!!

That's wonderful Pablo! I'm looking forward to seeing some photos with the boat in that water!

I really like the forward deck modification Pablo! Makes me think...