Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 46 of 46

Thread: Losing end of year resolution

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,744

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    This guy does a great intro to lifting tutorial. I would watch his channel, he's not perfect but he's very realistic in terms of expectations. His wife's changes is typical of women who use weights, they turn hot AF. My girlfriend started lifting just two times a weeks and her shape changed to the uber sexy in about 2-3 months. We go on gym dates and work out together as often as we can.

    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    11,022

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    So you're starting your day with a bunch of carbs (oats and raisins) and sugar (raisins and honey). Just skip breakfast entirely, don't eat until lunch time - seriously.
    Just don't have breakfast. Best thing, it actually works.


    Pete
    I remember seeing statistics that showed almost 80% of workers involved in morning industrial/worksite accidents hadn't had breakfast.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    This guy does a great intro to lifting tutorial. I would watch his channel, he's not perfect but he's very realistic in terms of expectations. His wife's changes is typical of women who use weights, they turn hot AF. My girlfriend started lifting just two times a weeks and her shape changed to the uber sexy in about 2-3 months. We go on gym dates and work out together as often as we can.

    Thanks Mike, definitely the collection of equipment at our gym is a bit overwhelming - and I am really trying to avoid breaking myself before I've really got going. The older I get, the longer things take to come right after I wreck them, so using a PT to get started is definite.

    Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I remember seeing statistics that showed almost 80% of workers involved in morning industrial/worksite accidents hadn't had breakfast.
    I'd love to see all the data on that, not just what I suspect is a single cherry picked stat. The first couple of weeks skipping brekky, all you can think of is food, especially around mid morning, and your belly let's you know it's not happy - it is pretty damn distracting. Then all that just goes away as your body gets used to operating that way. But as a one-off instance of someone missing breakfast, and screwing up at work, that doesn't surprise me at all.
    I quite happily do a 21km MTB ride up the port hills, with around 400 metres of vertical climb (Rapaki Track), no breakfast, no gels, snacks or anything other than straight water. I'm not trying to be some sort of anal-retentive diet Nazi (that would be someone on a full blown keto regime), this is something that I found works for me, doesnt require any effort whatsoever on my part, and actually makes my morning routine a bit simpler. I am far from fit, but the incrementally increasing waistline and weight gain reversed, and settled out at where I was in my mid forties. As a fairly slim specimen to begin with, that meant dropping from 75kg to 70, and dropping one waist size. The gym thing, for me, is about getting back what I didn't even realise I'd lost, mainly in terms of upper body strength and endurance.

    Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    22,234

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    my breakfast is a small handful of steel cut oats , cooked and put in the blender with fruit, cod liver oil, powdered spirulina/kelp/Moringa/chorella/stevia. It does not taste good and is not fun to drink.
    But I have no stories of how I lost 40inches100poundsthreetimes.
    Skip breakfast? Uh uh. Skip the HFCS, hydrogenated oil, micro wave,BBQ,fast food,white bread,calorie counting, prescription drugs.
    Now, this breakfast is only when I’m home in the summer. Aboard the boat things switch up.

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,744

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    my breakfast is a small handful of steel cut oats , cooked and put in the blender with fruit, cod liver oil, powdered spirulina/kelp/Moringa/chorella/stevia. It does not taste good and is not fun to drink.
    But I have no stories of how I lost 40inches100poundsthreetimes.
    Skip breakfast? Uh uh. Skip the HFCS, hydrogenated oil, micro wave,BBQ,fast food,white bread,calorie counting, prescription drugs.
    Now, this breakfast is only when I’m home in the summer. Aboard the boat things switch up.
    Neither have I. But most of us aren't super human like you. I'm so glad you're perfect, keep up thee good work.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    22,234

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Neither have I. But most of us aren't super human like you. I'm so glad you're perfect, keep up thee good work.
    Im sorry if I come off like that Mike, that is not my intention.
    bruce

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,744

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Im sorry if I come off like that Mike, that is not my intention.
    bruce
    We've meet and I've seen your build, you're a well built guy, you're what we, in my circles call, skinny strong. But you still have to work to keep it. Unfortunately, skilled manual labor is not considered valuable enough in my neck of the woods to warrant a living wage and so, I've been relegated to a desk for the last 12 years. As many have. That means, when I'm done with my work day, I get to spend another 2 hours working my body. That's not an easy pill to swallow for anyone, which is why so few people commit to keeping in shape. It's especially hard if you have other responsibilities at home. Shi77y food is cheap and easy. It costs us a fortune to eat well. I figure, between health insurance, the markup on healthy foods, never mind the extra time spent preparing them, and the cost of the gym, we spend 40% of our net income on staying healthy. We only get to commit to it because we're DINKs. When I was raising two kids, there was no time or money to eat healthily and work out.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    22,234

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Where and when did we meet? PTWBF maybe?
    Yes, I spend a lotta extra money to buy organic things, clean meat, good olive oil, etc.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    24,677

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Man, I don’t remember the last time I ate breakfast.

    Or three meals a day.

    Everyone eats too much.

    I am not a gym, either, but I am an exercise. I do workouts based on MovNat principles. All my “strength training” is dynamic, meaning it includes wide ranging motion. Squats, for example. From butt on heels, to airborne. Yes, Virginia, keep your arms overhead, back straight, and all. Yep. Kettlebells suck, huh.

    And I run. A ton.

    I still “fight” and wrestle to spar with a few champions I know, mostly because I have the size and skill, but also... dynamic strength. Wrassling a 290 pounder is a workout.

    Playing around with kids, messing around in boats, and swimming all make a body strong, too. And a mind.

    And, I eat as clean as I can, but I don’t go crazy. Fortunately for me, I don’t like fancy food, and I’ve long considered food as fuel. I spent many, many moons weighing and tabulating ever bite of food I ate.

    Now I just sort of graze like a human.

    Peace,
    Hella Skinny Strong

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,744

    Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Where and when did we meet? PTWBF maybe?
    Yes, I spend a lotta extra money to buy organic things, clean meat, good olive oil, etc.
    Lefty's back in the day.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

    ~C. Ross

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •