Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing end of year resolution

Question Losing end of year resolution

Suggestions to lose some weight, particularly around waist, over next fortnight and longer?

1. Starve, not too keen on that.
    2. Eat salads only - Love tuna salads, but will have to forgo the dressing and use vinegar and black pepper.
    3. High protein???
    4. Take up exercise, letting heart rate go not too high, probably should regardless. Could walk the dogs. Take the walks on the beach at dawn.
    5. Drink lots of water, especially say 15-20 minutes before meals.

Don't wish to take 'diet' pills or similar slimming aids.

Accept that excess calories in excess calories on.

Yes, I will give up beer and restrict myself one small measure of XO rum a week.

Ultimately would like to lose about 30-35 pounds.

Suspect that I got to BMI weight (50lbs from current) I would look positively gaunt and skeletal.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Losing end of year resolution

Lose you from my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Lose you from my reading list.
    You are so kind.

Probable have to go along with this.

https://legwork.guide/lose-body-fat-fast/

I like #2.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Eat real food. If it does not rot, do not eat it.

Exercise to get fit, diet to lose weight
    Phil Maffetone is your man, the two week test is a life changer

What worked for me was I started eating off of sandwich plates not dinner plates, so basically portion control, I went from 215 pounds to 175 pounds over a year or so and have kept the weight off

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Exercise to get fit, diet to lose weight
    Phil Maffetone is your man, the two week test is a life changer
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Doctor.

Been a disciple since the 90s, before it was cool.

Peace,
    Barefooted, Too

Just eat less and eat well. Exercise is good too. Walking and sex.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Probable have to go along with this.

https://legwork.guide/lose-body-fat-fast/

I like #2.
    I hope neither of those gents are you! Good luck. I need to lose about 25 lbs.
    “Aren’t you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?”
    “That’s diplomats. We’re not gentlemen.”
    “So you lie to save your hides.”
    That’s politicians. Different game entirely.”

Swim.
    Exercise burns calories
    Water soaks up body heat, burns calories
    Increased basal metabolic rate persists for some time after exercise is over
    Eat less
    Good luck

less beer?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Avoid white bread and white potatoes.

Suggestions to lose some weight,...

Suggestions?
    I was keeping a daily log of what I ate and my workouts at the gym. It was working (slowly, which is the best way) and then my computer crashed and I lost it. I need to start it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    less beer?
    I drink enough beer to float a battleship. I’ve been 150 pounds since 1970.

I have heard Tealsmith's idea expanded: Don't eat white stuff. Sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, rice, and anything that is made of them.

I got way too close to 200 this year. Down to 185 now, goal is to get into the 170s again.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Answer found in post #5

i am mostly paleo, mostly because my freezer is full of salmon, tuna, deer, pig, lamb etc that I harvested and processed myself, as well as fruit, mushrooms etc which were wild harvested. Veg is local whenever possible.

know your food.

Rummy, do you own a bicycle? Pick out a bike route that takes you about half an hour to complete and do it 3-4 times a week. After a few weeks of that, start increasing the length and frequency of your ride. As you get better at it, reward yourself with a fancier bike!

Thanks you all suggestions. All great.

Rob, good suggestion, but I fear for my life with the local drivers. However, I could ride on the old sugar field dirt tracks.

Started this morning with a cup of oats, some raisins with tap water, with a drizzling of honey.
    I adda sliced banana if I have any.

Have been doing this for a few weeks, works to get my cholesterol down.

Today is the weekly happy hour at the Beach Bar, but will forego the bucket of 6 beers on ice for US$6.67, and just have one single measure Mount Gay Extra Old on the rocks.

rum 1.jpg
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 12-06-2019 at 09:04 AM.

As a gym owner I knew famously said, "To lose weight ... put your fork down sooner. To gain weight, don't." If you can't bring yourself to put your fork down when you feel only 80% full, then make a greater effort to add a whole lot of indigestible fiber to your diet ... cabbage etc. And cut down on how much fat and sugar you have in what goes on your plate ... immensely efficient carriers of calories, those things.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Using an app on my phone called Lose It!. Calories in Calories out. Exercise and eat less.

Down 10 pounds since Oct 21.

Goal is half pound a week.

Since I'm in terrible shape I've taken up the Royal Canadian Air Force exercise program. Have to be very careful of knees especially since they bear the cost of carrying more than 200 lbs on a 5'3", 76 year old frame.

Bike riding is great, as is serious yard work.

But nothing works if you don't stop eating when you've had enough. Put the fork down and eat salad.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Using an app on my phone called Lose It!. Calories in Calories out. Exercise and eat less.

Down 10 pounds since Oct 21.

Goal is half pound a week.

Since I'm in terrible shape I've taken up the Royal Canadian Air Force exercise program. Have to be very careful of knees especially since they bear the cost of carrying more than 200 lbs on a 5'3", 76 year old frame.

Bike riding is great, as is serious yard work.

But nothing works if you don't stop eating when you've had enough. Put the fork down and eat salad.
    calories ... pffft . Calories have nothing to do with nutrition. Fat people suffer from malnutrition.Eating a bunch of crap, your body thinks it is starving and stores away fat. The more empty calories, the more fat .You are still starving.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 12-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Bike riding in the Caribbean? Not unless you can ride at night .on a flat road.

Suggestions to lose some weight, particularly around waist, over next fortnight and longer?

1. Starve, not too keen on that.
    2. Eat salads only - Love tuna salads, but will have to forgo the dressing and use vinegar and black pepper.
    3. High protein???
    4. Take up exercise, letting heart rate go not too high, probably should regardless. Could walk the dogs. Take the walks on the beach at dawn.
    5. Drink lots of water, especially say 15-20 minutes before meals.

Don't wish to take 'diet' pills or similar slimming aids.

Accept that excess calories in excess calories on.

Yes, I will give up beer and restrict myself one small measure of XO rum a week.

Ultimately would like to lose about 30-35 pounds.

Suspect that I got to BMI weight (50lbs from current) I would look positively gaunt and skeletal.

Suggestions?

You have to burn approx 3500 calories more than you consume to lose 1 pound. The simple answer is increase calories out and decrease calories in. There are some very good phone apps for helping keep track of the calories you eat. MyFitnessPal and LoseIt are two I’m familiar with. I use MyFitnessPal for this and also for tracking exercise in conjunction with my Apple Watch. It gives me very good estimates of calories in and calories out on a daily basis. You have to be diligent in entering everything you eat but it’s not difficult once you make it a habit.

OK, so riding a bike is *impossible* in the Caribbean. How about rowing? Build yourself a nice pulling boat and tour the harbor every other morning. On the Upper Decks of this very forum you'll find threads on lots of likely designs for casual rowing boats. Rangeley boats, St Lawrence River skiffs, Adirondack Guide boats, Clint Chase's Drake, CLC's Annapolis Wherry, the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    calories ... pffft . Calories have nothing to do with nutrition. Fat people suffer from malnutrition.Eating a bunch of crap, your body thinks it is starving and stores away fat. The more empty calories, the more fat .You are still starving.
    And stop eating crap.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    OK, so riding a bike is *impossible* in the Caribbean. How about rowing? Build yourself a nice pulling boat and tour the harbor every other morning. On the Upper Decks of this very forum you'll find threads on lots of likely designs for casual rowing boats. Rangeley boats, St Lawrence River skiffs, Adirondack Guide boats, Clint Chase's Drake, CLC's Annapolis Wherry, the list goes on and on.
    I am (supposed to be) building a Penobscot 17 designed by Arch Davis

Why "supposed to be"? Have you started building yet? The Penobscot 17 looks like a fine boat, a good balance between sailing and rowing. Go for it!

Shut down Wooden boat forum on your browser. Stand up. Go outside. We will all benefit

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Part of what makes older men fat is that fact that they have lost all their muscle mass due to inactivity. My experience is, lift heavy weights. Put on as much real muscle as you can. That's the first step and once you gain about 5 pounds of muscle, then you can work on your calorie intake. It's really hard to put on muscle, it's impossible when you're at calorie deficit. It's also really hard to lose weight while trying to gain muscle. Once you've gained muscle mass the weight should take care of itself with a little bit of calorie counting and continued exercise. I did it a little a55 backwards, I did low carb and lost about 45lbs, I was trying to avoid the gym . . . . I quickly realized that my job was killing me to, that is, my lack of activity, I was constantly hurting my back, leg cramps at night, just felt decrepit in general. So a year ago last week I joined the gym. It was then I realized how really bad I had gotten but decided to rage against my withering physique. It's been really slow, but I kept putting in the time. Before long I was lifting modest weight and able to run 2 miles. About two months ago I decided to join the barbell club, a West Side method group within my gym. I just broke 300 lbs on my deadlift and will break 200lbs on my back squat by the newyear. I go four times a week for about two hours. On those nights, I get home around 7:30 8, eat dinner, pet my dogs, kiss my girl, and fall asleep. Tonight was light and fast night, last night I did around 60 reps with the squat, broken up in sets, with 65% of my max and then another 25% of max added in chains added for a heaver lift at the top, approx 160 lbs on the bar at the top of the movement. It was after that I PR'd my dead-lift at 300lbs. My bench blows but that's because I sprained my wrist last month and have been babying it a bit. I plan on 200lb 3-rep-max by springtime.

I'm not pushing any major weight compared to some of the real athletes I lift with, but I'm far and away stronger than most guys my age and that goes a long way in controlling my weight, blood glucose level, and even my state of mind. Also, a huge bonus, my nerd neck is all but gone.

The kicker is, I wasn't "weak" before". I could work hard labor all day, I just suffered after. Now, while my muscles are generally always sore and tired, I'm strong, my body is stable, I'm much more capable.

That's the fountain of youth; exercise, a lot. the recommended 3 hours a week is not enough, it's better than none, but not enough, don't kid yourself. Walking is a minimum effort, It's not enough.

You're fat because you eat more than your body needs, stop.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ^this too.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

If you have not begun building your P-17 yet, then a quicker route to rowing for exercise might be to find a good 16ft canoe and drop a rowing rig into it.

Thanks you all suggestions. All great.

Rob, good suggestion, but I fear for my life with the local drivers. However, I could ride on the old sugar field dirt tracks.

Started this morning with a cup of oats, some raisins with tap water, with a drizzling of honey.
    I adda sliced banana if I have any.

Have been doing this for a few weeks, works to get my cholesterol down.
    So you're starting your day with a bunch of carbs (oats and raisins) and sugar (raisins and honey). Just skip breakfast entirely, don't eat until lunch time - seriously.
    The first couple of weeks can be a bit of a challenge, but after that it is no big deal. The science behind it is pretty solid, your calorie intake is reduced, and by going 15+ hours between dinner one day, and lunch the next, it forces the body to start metabolising things other than the glucose in your blood.
    Just eat normal, healthy meals the rest of the time. No calorie counting bs, no special foods to eat or avoid, just don't have breakfast. Best thing, it actually works.
    One guy in my office was so sceptical, he was bringing his normal breakfast to work, eating that and his normal lunch at lunchtime, and then dinner at home. Even he lost weight.
    At 55, after about two years of nagging, I recently started going to the gym with my wife - a place I vowed years ago I'd never be seen dead in. We do a light weights group fitness class (maybe four guys, thirty women), a yoga/Pilates class (one dude/thirty women), and I do a cycle spin class (20 guys, 15 women). It would be fair to say I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone, but the realisation that most of these ladies are pushing more weight/reps than I can was a bit of a reality check about the perils of a long term desk job.
    I'm two months in, and actually getting close to actually doing everything in an entire class. Except for those damn sit ups with nothing to hold your feet down, that is just not a happening thing yet, but I'll get there. I'll look at more weight training once I'm past the embarrassingly feeble stage.
    And this may not wash with the PC brigade, but there is an undeniable eye candy element to the whole exercise, no pun intended.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    So you're starting your day with a bunch of carbs. . .
    Carbs, when left unused, are poison for the body. If you're not working your body, you need very little in the way of carbs. I eat less than 60 per day and I'm pushing some very heavy weight in my workouts. I'd need more if I were doing longer cardio workouts, but not much.

That said Pete, you're on the right path and you sound like me in a lot of ways. I would suggest skipping the crunches or sit-ups for planks 3 ways. Do 3-4 sets, hold 30 seconds per set, 3 sets of front, left, and right each, youtube for proper form.

Maybe hire a personal trainer for a bit to get form right and get you through the first three months without hurting yourself but hit the heavy weights. When I say heavy, I mean heavy for you, not heavy for the 25 year old squatting 400 lbs.

~C. Ross