Thread: New York and Cape Cod Catboats

Default New York and Cape Cod Catboats

I've seen many references to "New York Catboat" and "Cape Cod Catboat". Other than the obvious difference in original location, how is one distinguished from the other?
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Default Re: New York and Cape Cod Catboats

The Cape Cod model is typically 2:1 length to beam. My Marmalade (Brewer's Chappaquiddick 25) was 25' LOA and 12-1/2' B. They are also hefty. Marmalade displaced a good five tons!

The New York cats tend leaner, lighter, more sail for a given size. Cape Cod cats are centerboarders while most NY cats have a keel.

Both evolved from fishing boats but the lighter summer airs of Long Island Sound and south led to the differences as the boats shifted from working to racing and cruising.

See https://www.soundingsonline.com/boat...on-of-catboats

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The Cape Cod model is typically 2:1 length to beam. My Marmalade (Brewer's Chappaquiddick 25) was 25' LOA and 12-1/2' B. They are also hefty. Marmalade displaced a good five tons!

The New York cats tend leaner, lighter, more sail for a given size. Cape Cod cats are centerboarders while most NY cats have a keel.

Both evolved from fishing boats but the lighter summer airs of Long Island Sound and south led to the differences as the boats shifted from working to racing and cruising.

See https://www.soundingsonline.com/boat...on-of-catboats
    I'm not questioning your knowledge of catboats, but I don't believe I'm familiar with any catboat with a full keel. Please educate me.
    The only New York catboats I know of are the Great South Bay catboats. Centerboarders for sure with the shallow waters of that area.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Certainly the New York racing cats had centerboards; many had two mast steps so they could run as a sloop or a cat.

Some of the Narragansett Bay cats did not have centerboards, very V'd hulls.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."