Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Hand Plane - Which one?

Default Re: Electric Hand Plane - Which one?

Since it came back up I still stand by my porter cable. It's not a great tool, but it works well for doing shipwright work on boats. Most of my use is fairing in planks/timbers, or hogging off material on things like scarfs or rounding masts. I don't really consider a power plane accurate for anything below a 1/16th tolerance. The essential feature on the Porter cable is being able to select which side shaving eject from. Its a huge pain having to use one with a vacuum hose twisted all over.

I only use it for really rough work, wasting a ton of material in a hurry so I just buy the one thats on sale when the old one blows up. Ive had a dewalt now for a while. no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Here in NZ Hitachi has gone through a re-branding exercise, I dont know why.

That would be because Metabo (German tool company) bought Hitachi Power Tools.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Seibert View Post
    I have a Bosch which cuts well but the exhaust gets clogged up pretty quickly and on a regular basis. It gets clogged in both directions. This happens a lot when I am planing cedar. Maybe there is something I am missing?
    I've never had that happen even once, so dunno. Is it Very Wet, Just Cut cedar? Don't know that I've ever tried that.

Also - just spitballing, but maybe the occasional shot of Bostik Dricote (or similar) inside both the dust passages?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

Are they called Hikoki everywhere now?

I wonder if George's wife found him a Makita back then, or if he had to settle for the Ryobi?

Nobody told me there were limits to the accuracy of an electric plane way back then so I went ahead and learned how to split the line when edging boards for fits against irregular surfaces. That smaller Makita can be tuned down to a knife-edge cut if one gets the chance to practise on some soft product for a bit. Later in my career, when I was paid by the hour, I learned to use a block plane more for final fits.

That big plane Bruce showed us earlier was a beast; I remember planing 6x6 laminated bulwark caps with it at Gooldrup Hulls in 1979-80. I was much younger then. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Here, they've been folded into the Metabo brand.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Here, they've been folded into the Metabo brand.
    Looks like the buyout was the other way 'round.

Hitachi Ltd owned Hitachi Koki, their power tools subsidiary.

Hitachi Koki bought Metabo, a German power tool company. Metabo is/was a trades-oriented tool company, on a par with Bosch.

Hitachi Ltd, then unloaded Hitachi Koki on KKR, Henry Kravis' investment firm.

KKR then changed the name to Koki Holdings... since it is no longer a part of Hitachi.

Metabo tools are still branded as Metabo. Hitachi tools are now branded as Metabo HPT (for Hitachi Power Tools?), at least in North America. Seems like they're branded as HiKoki (Hitachi Koki?) downunder.

But, despite sharing the name, Metabo and Koki are still separate companies, with separate, non-compatible product lines.

[There's a reason I don't spend a lot of time tracking corporate miscegenation]

https://www.core77.com/posts/80207/H...l-Be-Different
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)