Thread: fisheries supply (Davey)

Default fisheries supply (Davey)

Anyone buy from them?

Square Nails & roves.
    https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dave...per-boat-nails
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Default Re: fisheries supply (Davey)

Not that product. But they have a good reputation, and my 3-4 purchases have been perfectly satisfactory.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Fisheries is my local chandlery Denise, and the best shop in Seattle, at least for us pleasure boaters. I highly recommend them. However you might also try Admiral Ship Supply in Port Townsend. Good fastener selection there.

http://admiralshipsupply.com/
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Cool thank you gentlemen!
    On Square nail sizes do they measure the square as the wire size?: which I suppose, makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Cool thank you gentlemen!
    On Square nail sizes do they measure the square as the wire size?: which I suppose, makes sense
    It is like wire, the smaller the number, the larger the wire, in this case square. On the webpage you can click on the “Overview” section and get more details.
    Fisheries is a real chandlery, I have dealt with them for almost 50 years, as a supplier for my business they were a real partner, helped us through a couple bad patches.

there are reviews and there are glowing reviews I want to buy from them just because of the reviews! thank you Gentleman again!

looking closer, I see that the rivets for the planking are round and the rivets for the rails and ribs are square shanked.

The Chandlery at the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend has them as well. Theirs are the Brittish style nails and roves. I like them better than the U.S. kind as the nail shanks are square in cross section and straight in length of the shank. Plus the roves are cupped and work better than the American washers do.
    Jay

Fishery supply is good, but last order classic marine in the UK was cheaper, including shipping.

UK? I can't imagine shipping being cheaper I have found them on Amazon but they're for leather work short & square

I don't see a whole lot of necessity to use square shank on the boat this size it's not a museum piece, it was rejected from a museum actually.

Shipping was 9 pounds for small packet airmail, 50 nails and 100 roves delivered for 25pounds total, about $33 at current exchange. Big advantage was being able to pick small quantities of different length nails.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 12-02-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Fisheries supply is very good, however seattle marine is also excellent, it's one of about two shops I know of where you can walk in the door and buy a 16" marlin spike. Between the two they can set you up with nearly everything.

I’ll second the recommendation for Seattle Marine Supply. Another great choice but their selection is aimed more at commercial marine customers. Best selection of Xtra Tuff boots south of Alaska though.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Anyone buy from them?

Square Nails & roves.
    https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dave...per-boat-nails

Fisheries Supply is great. Largest chandlery on the a West (Left) coast. Been around since ... the 1920s?

Pro Tip - call them on the phone and open an account with them. You'll get at least a 10% discount. More, depending on annual volume.

However... you're in Pennsylvania. Davey & Company's East Coast distributor for the US is R+W Rope out of New Bedford, Mass. shipping is likely going to be less for you.

https://www.rwrope.com
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The Chandlery at the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend has them as well. Theirs are the Brittish style nails and roves. I like them better than the U.S. kind as the nail shanks are square in cross section and straight in length of the shank. Plus the roves are cupped and work better than the American washers do.
    Jay

Fisheries Supply got the Davey & Company distributorship from the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend a few years back, so they're now getting their stock from Fisheries Supply.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Also, Faering Design out of Middlebury, Vermont is (or used to be) the distributor for copper boat nails and roves from Mustad of Norway. Mustad is well known for fish hooks, but they do copper nails and roves.

http://www.faeringdesigninc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Also, Faering Design out of Middlebury, Vermont is (or used to be) the distributor for copper boat nails and roves from Mustad of Norway. Mustad is well known for fish hooks, but they do copper nails and roves.

Nicholas thank you that's the one I could not think of! I knew there was one up that way thank you so much gotta love this forum curmudgeons and all lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

If anyone remembers the Newhart show where Bob Newhart was proprietor of an inn - the inn shown in the opening of the show is within a mile or so of Faering Design.

There's your useless piece of information for the day...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If anyone remembers the Newhart show where Bob Newhart was proprietor of an inn - the inn shown in the opening of the show is within a mile or so of Faering Design.

There's your useless piece of information for the day...
    Bob newhart's sthick I think it's called, was his telephone routines, I loved when he guest appeared on big bang theory

Faering is still around, Chip supplied me some nails and roves this summer. Pleasure to deal with.

Any good chandlers around Vancouver or on the island? Having trouble finding one that isn't like a West Marine

Just found https://www.comoxmarine.ca/. They support the Vancouver Wood Boat Show. Posting just in case anyone else goes looking.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_j View Post
    Any good chandlers around Vancouver or on the island? Having trouble finding one that isn't like a West Marine
    Nanaimo.

https://www.harbourchandler.ca/

The one in Nanaimo is solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.