Thread: A question for our pilots

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default A question for our pilots

I was reading a story about photographers at the Gander Airport. Do you notice and / or does it bother you when you are on final to see a bunch of people at the end of the runway behind the fence snapping pictures? I have taken a few at our airport, but I was always kind of weirded out worried that it might bother the flight crews. I see that Gander has actually put in camera windows in the fence to make it easier to get shots.

snipit:
    They're decked out with the tools of the trade — a VHF frequency scanner, a flight tracker app and a telephoto lens.
    And as often as possible, they are staked out at the Gander International Airport to capture their targets: unique and beautiful aircraft that stop in on the airport runway.
    These are the planespotters of Gander.
    Full story:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...gj8MMe3tyQIprw
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Default Re: A question for our pilots

interesting street naming convention in gander
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

A lot of aviation history in Gander. I do see a Hadfield Street in one of the newer sections.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Helicopter pilots have been known to moon any camera they spot. Or moon the control tower in a flyby just for grins. A "pressed ham" from the front seat of a Cobra is quite a sight, almost a gymnastic feat given the space constraints . I'd post some pictures but...

I moon drones.

When I was attending college and studying professional photography (back in the Dark Ages), I accompanied one of my profs as "camera assistant" (read: the guy who humps all the camera bags and tripods around) on a photo shoot of the inaugural visit of the Concorde to Toronto. We went out - inside the fence - and laid down on the grass at the end of the runway to get a fish-eye photo of the plane overhead as it descended for a landing, seemingly about six feet above us (I believe it was actually about 100 feet above). My take-away impression was that it was possibly the LOUDEST airplane I had ever witnessed.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

In a copter, don't you have one hand on the collective and one hand on the cyclic? How do you manage to unbuckle from your seat, stand up, unbuckle your pants, lower them. And moon someone?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    In a copter, don't you have one hand on the collective and one hand on the cyclic? How do you manage to unbuckle from your seat, stand up, unbuckle your pants, lower them. And moon someone?

That's where the skill & dedication comes in...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The back seater is the primary flight pilot and fires the wing stores. The front seater is a fully qualified pilot but is referred to as the "gunner" as he controls the turret weapons - mini gun and 40mm grenade launcher.

He is also responsible for mooning. See Field Manual 1-1, The Aviator's Handbook.

Last edited by John of Phoenix; 11-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.

It doesn’t bother me. Your not even noticed. Just Don’t use a laser—it pisses me off. I do get concerned at some airports when I see spectators at the end during take off. The thrust and debris can hurt people.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

As a kid, I grew up near LGA. My grandfather would take me to a spot on a little hill, right at the tail ( start?) of a runway.( Over near where the Marine Air Terminal was; I think it's called Runway Drive for the pilots in our midst) The jets would be only tens of feet overhead.

I drove past just last week, and the "hill" is now an embankment and there is no parking or anywhere to pull over at that spot anymore.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

It doesn’t bother me. Your not even noticed. Just Don’t use a laser—it pisses me off. I do get concerned at some airports when I see spectators at the end during take off. The thrust and debris can hurt people.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

"...4 rocket pods with 17 rockets per pod...
    76?

Not much different than folks lined up along a RR track to get a pic of a particular locomotive.

Then, of course, there's St. Martin/Maarten:
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I worked on a military radar station on an civilian airfield.. The radar station had nothing to do with the airfield, which only got two civilian flights day..
    we did attract military flights.
    Two in particular I remember.

One Hercules , had been in to the airfield to drop off some army personnel, took off and then flew out to sea.. unusual.. there's not a lot out there before the USA.. .. Then were heard a roar as it pulled up over the sand dunes, then just cleared our radar, and continued across the island at not a lot of feet scattering the sheep.. The CO said something rude and had complaint forms printed off..

The Other A USAF F111 was did a low pass down the runway.. no problem , but then did it again, this time mid runway pulls the stick back and hits full reheat... Now that was loud.. It caused equipment to come off the walls in the Tacan building ..
    The CO had complaint forms printed off.
    Just an amateur bodging away..