Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    For one, many of your "truths" are in fact lies. It is, for example, a ludicrous lie that you say that an entire generation cannot work out their gender.
    One is entitled to hyperbole. As to not work out their gender the numbers are increasing dramatically. That can and should be an entire thread for discussion.

Your last line is smug self-worship, where you are putting yourself on a pedestal of your own arrogance and pretending that others are closed-minded and you are superior.
    Encouraging fellow forumites to lighten up is 'smug self worship' ? Where and how do I do 'smug self-worship' (quote me)? Care to explain your remark?

Where do I put myself on a pedestal of 'own arrogance' ?

Pretending(?)
    that others are close-minded? ROTFLMAO Seems that you don't read posts on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    And where do you get this stuff?
    lmgtfy
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You do smug fine, Rummy.
    Particularly in comments about the weather. :-)

You first. And where do you get this stuff?
    You obviously have not read the posts on the thread.
    See Post # 15.

Oh and Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    tehe

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    that same attitude comes from the people that want to let 16 yr olds vote. hilarious.
    Those 16 yr olds will probably vote wisely whereas you Trumpkins don't. All you want is an "R" next to a dimwit's name to get your votes.Oh wait, there's proof of that already.

Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?
    I agree with both the points in the letter and the observations of those who don't agree with the points.

Painting with a broad brush seems appropriate in discussing the issues. Especially since there are a large number people who think she is raising issues that others have not raised in the past.

It seems clear that global warming will get worse until we stop using fossil fuels. And even continue to get worse for some tie after we do. Yet, few of her supporters are willing to go so far as to say so. They seem to be content with doing as little as possible toward effective measures to stop global warming as soon as possible. And they do claim there are effective measures.

Those just barely above the poverty level in the US are in the 1% worldwide. I don't think many in the US would be willing to find themselves below the 1% worldwide, yet it is not clear that life will be that good in the future.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    You do smug fine, Rummy.
    Particularly in comments about the weather. :-)
    Please forgive me, I only try and put a little sunshine in your life, especially at this time of year.

IMG_7566.jpg

PS The grass is not always greener on the other side,

You obviously have not read the posts on the thread.
    See Post # 15.

Oh and Google.
    I have no idea that post is your words or more c&p. Again how did this “ letter” come to your attention?

I have no idea that post is your words or more c&p. Again how did this “ letter” come to your attention?

Obviously you did not read the OP and posts. Hey ho, no problem.

Are you the Forum Police?
    If so, show your badge number and authorization.
    Does one have to state every time(careful with your answer now) where any information that is posted on this form is sourced?

hey rummy, we don’t need no stink’n badges. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    hey rummy, we don’t need no stink’n badges. . .

Acknowledged, señor.

Well, this is enlightening.

FWIW, the link to FrontPage Mag doesn't work. They do, however, have a quote on their title page much like the screed in the OP: 'Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming To Get Out'. Bile, venom, woeful misunderstanding of one one's opponents' ideas, and GIGANTIC straw men. Now, one can argue with Ms Thunberg; she's sixteen, convinced she's on the side of the angels, terminally earnest, sometimes takes things too far, and is better at haranguing than persuading. But really? You can do better than this.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 11-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Or do you prefer:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    You can do better than this.
    do you have any evidence to support this claim keith?

anything at all???

Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.

Once again I say --

This message is hidden because Rum_Pirate is on your ignore list.

And once again I ask: does this Rat offer anything, in his C&P's, worth discussing? Facts. Data. Logic. Reasonable points of view worth debating? When you choose to engage, does the OP respond? Does he answer questions? Does he debate any objections you might have? Does he elaborate with carefully-reasoned, informed, rhetoric? How's the overall noise/signal ratio? What, iow, is the point?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Once again I say --

This message is hidden because Rum_Pirate is on your ignore list.

And once again I ask: does this Rat offer anything, in his C&P's, worth discussing? Facts. Data. Logic. Reasonable points of view worth debating? When you choose to engage, does the OP respond? Does he answer questions? Does he debate any objections you might have? Does he elaborate with carefully-reasoned, informed, rhetoric? How's the overall noise/signal ratio? What, iow, is the point?
    As per the signature line of Brian W - "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Carry on like David G encourages - 'discuss me'.

Lets see who the simple minds are.

ROTFLMAO

The above retort demonstrates that you have not risen above the fray which you knowingly created by posting drivel.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    The above retort demonstrates that you have not risen above the fray which you knowingly created by posting drivel.
    Incorrect. Those that posted their posts are the ones that created the 'fray'.

But go ahead and discuss me if you must, let's see who the simple minds are.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I've identified the OP and no one else here.MDH hasn't posted.

I read it and several questions arose:
    1. Do you believe that she should have ended her education: "You have dropped out of school and declared that there isn’t any reason to attend, or any reason for you to study since there will be no future for you to inherit."
    2. Should she encourage students in her generation to have
    Friday Climate Strikes rather than attend their classes,
    3. Is this accurate of her: " our current climate crisis is caused by “buying and building things.” Y
    4. I don't know if she addressed China's pollution elsewhere. If not she should do along with the Iran uranium situation.
    5. I would disagree with slogans such as: “We have set in motion an irreversible chain reaction beyond control,” and advocating universal veganism
    6 If nobody buys new clothes then the clothes will wear to and there will be no 'new' clothes to become 'second hand clothes'.
    7. This is correct: You want us all to stop flying in jet planes without giving us an alternative as to how we would re-transform our financial and trading systems
    8. Correct: Few can afford to cross the Atlantic in a $6M zero carbon yacht financed by rich people who made their wealth by the very means you condemn as loathsome.
    9. True: You are the legatee of a magnificent technological civilization which my generation and the one before it and several others preceding it all the way to the Industrial Revolution and the Renaissance, bequeathed to you.
    10. True: It is a civilization that eradicated diseases such as small pox from the word, and that lifted millions out of abject poverty in a universe you think is dying and decaying. It assured you a life expectancy that exceeded that of your ancestors.
    11. I agree: The truth, as one anonymous blogger aptly put it, is that your generation is unable to work up to forty hours per week without being chronically depressed and anxious.
    12: True: Its members cannot even decide if they want to be a boy or a girl, or both, or neither, or a “they.”
    13. True for many: They cannot eat meat without crying.
    14. Seems like quite a few: : your generation needs “trigger warnings” and “safe spaces” as pre-conditions for learning in school. Its members have a pathological need to be coddled and protected from the challenging realities of life.
    15. True: Your generation is the biggest demander and consumer of carbon spewing technological gadgets and devices.
    16: On it's way: betrayed you: by capitulating the world of leadership to bored, attention-deficit children who spout bromides, platitudes and slogans that a rudderless and morally relativistic culture accepts because a significant number of its denizens have become intellectually bankrupt and morally lazy.

There are others.

But will call a halt here as the majority on this forum will not wish to discuss anything, including this, unless it is against their President and anyone that does not avidly support their political and biased beliefs.

Lighten up chaps, discuss things, try not to be parochial and bogged down in your close minded mantra.

OK, Boomer.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Greta and the squad sure can trigger the right wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "The gravest internal threat to this country is not illegal aliens; it is leftist professors who are waging a war against America and teaching our young people to hate this country."

Jason D. Hill

Whack job extraordinaire

I would say that any time young people can be taught to hate the system that has concentrated 50% of the wealth on this planet into the hands of 84 individual Americans, a system that is and has always been ready and willing to rape the biosphere for material gain and continues to disregard the human rights and dignity due the rest of us as a mechanism by which they can enforce their greed through poverty, debt and ignorance, then that is time well spent.

One is entitled to hyperbole. As to not work out their gender the numbers are increasing dramatically. That can and should be an entire thread for discussion.

Encouraging fellow forumites to lighten up is 'smug self worship' ? Where and how do I do 'smug self-worship' (quote me)? Care to explain your remark?

Pretending(?)
    that others are close-minded? ROTFLMAO Seems that you don't read posts on this forum.
    By alleging to others that they are "parochial" and "bogged down in their closed-minded mantra" without showing the tiniest evidence that you are not subject to and aware of your own parochailism and your own closed-minded attitudes.

We are all subject to our own parochialism and our own bias, but you appear to ignore that because you think you are above such things.

Oh, and posting a link that abuses a young person is not "lighten up" stuff, unless you find insulting teenage girls to be a form of light entertainment.

PS - if you and the writer you posted are entitled to hyperbole then so is Greta. One of the many stupid things about the rant you posted is that the writer calls Greta out for hyperbole and then goes further down that road than she did.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-14-2019 at 08:18 PM.

^ hypocrisy, it’s a red thing

as is a profound lack of self awareness

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That OP is bloody nuts.

Meanwhile, back in Oz, the rain forests are burning. The RAIN forests.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

what does OP stand for?

original poster?

By alleging to others that they are "parochial" and "bogged down in their closed-minded mantra" without showing the tiniest evidence that you are not subject to your own parochailism and your own closed-minded attitudes.

We are all subject to our own parochialism and our own bias, but you appear to ignore that because you think you are above such things.
    Appreciate you pointing out that people on the forum are parochial and are biased.

I hereby admit that I have foibles, after all nobody is perfect.
    Happy?

I am not ignoring that 'people on the forum are parochial and are biased', in fact I appointing it out.

You are not me and thus do not know what I think. You only think you do.
    So please refrain from 'putting words in my mouth'.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what does OP stand for?

original poster?
    Operational Psychopath?

Old Phoop?

Orange Philanderer?

Outrageous Prevaricator?

Oligarchic Parasite?

Obnoxious Pinhead?

Obvious Picador?

We could go on forever...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Horowitz leads, as usual, with a deliberate lie. He knows that Thunberg does not hold herself out as a "leader".

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    As I understand it Brian works for a company that puts out fires...
    If you don't like those who fight fire, start an organization that lists people who don't want their services, and maybe they can stay away from your homes.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Are there people who actually believe that the climate is not changing?
    Are there people who honestly cannot see that the emissions from burning 100 million barrels of oil a day, not to mention the natural gas, propane, coal, and other hydrocarbon emissions that we pump into the atmosphere contributes to climate change?
    Are there people who can't figure out that we need to do things differently if our children and grandchildren are to have any hope?

Even if we ignore pollution and climate change, are there people out there that can't understand that there is only so much oil, gas, and coal out there, current estimates saying less than a human lifetimes worth at our current rate of consumption? Hydrocarbon fuels don't grow on trees, and speaking of trees, we're not doing a very good job at managing those either.

Stunned.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Horowitz leads, as usual, with a deliberate lie. He knows that Thunberg does not hold herself out as a "leader".
    no, she is simply the messenger. We are very good at shooting those.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama