Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Campion Apple 16 Build

Default Re: Campion Apple 16 Build

Congratulations! It's a good feeling when there's no leaks, even though you're sure there wouldn't be any.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    Congratulations! It's a good feeling when there's no leaks, even though you're sure there wouldn't be any.
    Thanks I did check the tanks and bilge a few times, just to be sure...

Funny thing, but the hardest part was getting the boat back into the garage at home. My garage/shop is from 1935 and is...small. It's two-car, ~17.5' wide inside and the openings are 7'10" wide (with an 8" post between), which is larger than the trailer (if it's even there is about a foot on either side), but I happened to put the boat on the side which doesn't have a straight path down the driveway in front of it, so getting the boat to angle back into it without either hitting the wall, hitting the car (the driveway has a wall too, doh!) or hitting the opening was tricky! And, there is a serious grade up to the garage entrance, so I couldn't just detach it and roll it in by hand (I did eventually just get the wheels of the trailer in, at a bad angle, and detach it and roll it straight by hand). I think I'm going to flip the shop to put the boat on the other side, where there is a straight shot down the driveway, as while I'm sure I'll get better at reversing the trailer, I have a feeling this is always going to be a pain, and possibly not doable without someone spotting.

Mount a winch at the back of the garage to pull the trailer in. That will allow you to guide it in slowly and avoid bumps.

Congrats on a successful launching and sea trials! Perhaps your concern about fore and aft trim will be alleviated once you have the sailing rig in place?

Great looking boat, looking forward to your sailing reports!!
    Cheers,
    Dale

Been really busy with work and family the last couple month or so, so not a lot of progress. But, I did build both of the yards, as Stuart at Dabbler sails needed them (specifically, putting weight on the attachment point and seeing how much they bend) to finish the sails. That was pretty easy:

The yards themselves are square, tapered at the ends on three sides and flat against the sail. And, they are quite stiff! I made them laminated out of sitka spruce. I still need to finish them, but am going to wait until I have all the spars.

Then I started working on the main mast -- unlike all the others, this is going to be hollow, birdsmouth style (and made from Douglas fir, to save money). Ripping the staves took a little while (I did it all on the table saw, pulled slightly out of the garage so the staves wouldn't hit the back wall), but was pretty straightforward:

Then I made some moulds to hold it once it gets glued (these are the outer dimensions of the mast -- it is straight 90mm up until the top 1.5meters, when it tapers down to 58mm). I spent a while making sure they were level and straight, as I'd like the mast to be!

I wondered if these should be slightly _bigger_ than the mast, as there are the bumps from the birdsmouth, but Geoff Kerr at OffCenterHarbor said to match them, and he's built a few, so I guess the mast will just sit a bit proud at points.

Then I did a dry fit, which was a little unwieldy and a tiny bit off (a little too tall and narrow) but overall went okay (enough that I'm not scared of the glue up, and by then I'll have solid parts to go inside the bottom 1metere and the top 200mm, which should also help stabilize and align things):

I cut plugs for the mast -- 200mm (plus another ~50mm of taper) at the top and 1000mm (plus 500mm taper) at the bottom -- laminating from sitka to get squares and then using a not-very-good spar gauge to 8 side them, tweaking until they more-or-less fit.

The larger one, along with all of the staves ready for glue:

Gluing was... a lot of glue! Definitely the most epoxy I've used at one time -- I mixed 1100g resin plus the appropriate amount of hardener total (400, then 600, and then needed 100 for the plugs). It wasn't actually that hard -- the plugs actually made it easier than when I was dry-fitting it without them, as they prevented the staves from falling into the middle (which seems to be the main problem that can happen).

The only flaw, really, was that the taper at the top didn't quite work out perfectly, so a few of the staves were a little open. I filled the gap mostly with epoxy, and the plug was glued in with plenty of epoxy, and I'll fill any gaps that remain after I take off the hose clamps. That's the part that's supposed to get painted white anyway, so no harm done!

spar making is fun. looking good - hopefully a sail before Labor Day
    you might want to put an extra nut on those chock bolts and then cut the bolts flush so they don't catch anything - fingers, sail etc.