Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biden refused communion

Default Biden refused communion

As a Catholic, I cannot tell me how much this disappoints me. I am not surprised, but I am disappointed. An elected official must vote the will of the people and is not free to impose his personal beliefs on others. I will bet you anything that he will give communion to the man who performs executions for the state.

Biden reportedly denied communion due to abortion stance

The Rev. Robert E. Morey said he denied former Vice President Joe Biden communion Sunday morning because of the Democratic candidate’s political stance on abortion. -The Washington Post

Biden refused to confirm reports that he was denied communion, referring to the incident as his "personal life." - FOX News

Pope Francis has asserted church opposition against abortion, but also suggested that communion should not be withheld based on a specific belief. "The Eucharist ... is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak," Francis wrote in 2013. - Associated Press

How many divorced people do you think he gives communion to every day? How many adulterers?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Default Re: Biden refused communion

Ask me why I despise man-made religion.

^^^ What I call "selective Christianity." Amazing how many are perfectly fine deriding, to the point of demanding laws that oppress those who live an alternative lifestyle, citing the bible as their reason, while completely ignoring the parts of the bible that say don't eat shellfish, or don't wear polyester, don't get divorced, etc.

And the best part is when you ask them about that part, they say "well times have changed since then...."

Those "people" are nothing more than bigots hiding behind a (sometimes burning) cross.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Biden is an RC?
    I like him even less

Before I was released from Great Lakes Naval Hospital, I was asked to be an Usher a a friends wedding. Me being a dropped out Catholic, he asked me to Receive Communion with all the folks who stood up.

So I went to the Catholic Chaplin and did the confession thing....boy did he get an ear full, so I could do the host thing, me a non believer. I don't know why I just didn't say "I don't believe that stuff any more" But We all went to Catholic school together, Him his Wife to be, his brothers everybody.

When the time came, myself and his 12 YO nephew, who just had his first communion were the only two up there...not a happy camper in my dress blues!
    PaulF

traditional male hierarchy, I wonder if pedophile priests get communion?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith
    I will bet you anything that he will give communion to the man who performs executions for the state.

How many divorced people do you think he gives communion to every day? How many adulterers?

^
    This.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

I am surprised that, given the history, the catholic church has any credibility anywhere. If biden believes in a god then he doesn't need any franchisee. Noone owns the god patent.

There is an aspect to this aside from religious rejection. That priest, and others like him, will be telling their flock to vote Republican for precisely this reason. Rejecting Biden at communion was just a gesture for this priest.

Don't be misled by this one fellow. Rome preaches against abortion, but the rank-and-file Catholics have a broad spectrum of beliefs including the one that I expressed where it is not up to Biden to force his values on the people of the country. Biden may well believe that abortion should be legal, but that is not the same as saying that he agrees with the practice.

Unfortunately, in many cases those who accept the absolute BS religion spews out can also vote. I don't have the answers, but I'm sure the Priests and Rabi don't ether.
    PaulF

We had a discussion about this at Bible study a few weeks ago. There's a few things in the Bible about the circumcised and uncircumcised. Being a smartass, I asked "Who checks you at the door?" That got a chuckle.

A number of years ago, at the funeral of my nephew, the priest announced before Communion that only Catholics were allowed. In other words, all others were deemed unfit to receive. Wow, was I ever pissed!!

Our priest (Episcopalian) never asks and never refuses Communion. You're supposed to be at least baptized (in any Christian church), but he doesn't press the point.

I once asked an older Catholic priest before a funeral for a friend if I, an Episcopalian, could receive. He looked at me and said, "Who am I to judge? Who am I to refuse you". Now, that is one Catholic Priest I liked. Of course, he was retired and probably didn't fear the wrath of a bishop.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I once asked an older Catholic priest before a funeral for a friend if I, an Episcopalian, could receive. He looked at me and said, "Who am I to judge? Who am I to refuse you".
    I know more than a few like that.

My kid sister also had an older priest as a patient in the hospital who told her, "You know, Patti, everyone goes to heaven." I've come to believe that's true. You know what I like most about it? - It really p1sses off the fundamentalists something awful!

Power Positions.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

"A number of years ago, at the funeral of my nephew, the priest announced before Communion that only Catholics were allowed. In other words, all others were deemed unfit to receive. Wow, was I ever pissed!!"

I'm told by a catholiuc friend that given the virtual absence of Australian seminary candidates many of the priests are from Asian and African countries, and they are quite conservative re dogma and the rules of the church.
    Often does not go down well with their congregations.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    ..... An elected official must vote the will of the people and is not free to impose his personal beliefs on others.

I will bet you anything that he will give communion to the man who performs executions for the state.
    This is exactly backwards...

Burke
    Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole. You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not a member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I really don't get this holier than thou ****, Jesus said do this as often as you want, in remembrance of me This is not about my righteousness, but in his memory. I guess no one takes the time to read the book. Says right in it, the word is so simple even a way faring fool could understand it.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I really don't get this holier than thou ****, Jesus said do this as often as you want, in remembrance of me This is not about my righteousness, but in his memory. I guess no one takes the time to read the book. Says right in it, the word is so simple even a way faring fool could understand it.
    Although I'm not a follower any more, get a great loaf of french bread and a bottle of really good wine and have at it in his remembrance.

He musta been a great dude, folks spoke highly of him, then they got all weird...
    PaulF

The best way to reduce abortions, drastically, is low cost, safe, and effective BIRTH CONTROL. Even more than banning abortions, because with that, you'll still have tons of "back-alley" abortions.

Some folks don't want to use birth control, but those are usually the same folks that don't want abortions; Not a problem.

There will still be some abortions during a wanted pregnancy, when a doctor says, "I'm sorry, I have some bad news." And when that happens, how dare someone get between a woman and her doctor.

Tell the above to that priest. I'd tell it to Pope Francis if I had the chance.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I am with both of the last two posters. Jesus himself said, they say I am a wine bibber and a gluten, He hung out with the folks that needed him the most.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I am with both of the last two posters. Jesus himself said, they say I am a wine bibber and a gluten, He hung out with the folks that needed him the most.
    In religion I am gluten free!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    This is exactly backwards...

Burke
    Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole. You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not a member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament.
    I think you misunderstood me. In a country that does not have an official religion, and that recognizes freedom of religion, an elected official is not placed in office to turn their personal religious beliefs into law.

Many of you here know that my dad is a 7 day a week catholic. He also votes on one issue and one issue only, can you guess what it is ?

Also my father willingly did not accept Holy Communion for over 25 years. You see my mother divorced him when I was three and because he was a divorced man he followed the catechism that he should not accept the sacrament.So for 25 years he never partook, he sat in the pew an prayed. He married the love of his life, but instead of an elaborate church wedding they got married in city hall by a justice of the peace. He still attended mass, he sent all his children including me to Catholic School.

When my mother died he asked for a copy of her certificate of death so he could marry a woman in the church that he had been married to for 20 years. I gave him what he asked for and I was his best man to his church wedding.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

This is a very political situation, more that it is spiritual. The hypocrisy of this political statement is exposed by by the undisputed fact that a major conservative Catholic commentator and author of the biography of Pope John Paul 11, George Weigel is held in high esteem while being complicit in the state sanctioned murder of many thousands of innocent men women and children by being a signatory of PANAC's statement of principals. He was also the author of the book on "Just War Principals" that in effect gave a moral justification for the Bush admins war in Iraq. This is a twisted and complicated subject and to tar all catholic expression with the same brush is a simplistic response as one can argue that as much good has resulted from the actions of Catholics as harm, an example being the anti war / peace activism of the Catholic Worker movement founded by Dorothy Day; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Day

It also need to be seen in the light of the fact that the CIA has had a deliberate and proven strategy of co opting Catholic thought with the aim of providing a large section of the population to provide vocal support of various foreign policy agenda, eg to be found in the the anti communist agenda. Proof of this is to be found in the release of historical CIA documents. The catholics are not alone as all the major denominations have been influenced in this covert operation. This is almost exclusively achieved via infiltration and influence of conservative elements of the faith community. This dynamic played out before the public here in Australia recently in the trial and conviction of Cardinal George Pell on charges of sexual abuse of teenage chior boys. George Pell was a portage of B.A. Santamaria a leading Catholic Conservative Politician and anti Communist crusader, who was a vocal supporter for the Vietnam War and it became accepted conservative Catholic "dogma" to be a total supporter of US efforts in Vietnam. Pell's conservative network included conservative Prime Ministers John Howard and Tony Abbott and George Weigel has been a personal friend for many years. All where virulent in their outspoken opposition to the court's ruling in Cardinal Pell's case. The hypocrisy is staggering on a number of levels, not the least being the outspoken disregard for the rule of law by those who in circumstances that suit their agenda are virulent and outspoken in their demands for the rule of law to be upheld.

So my thesis is there is great power to be gained in the co opting of a religious movement and those who would control and manipulate will be the first to do so. This human dynamic alone should not negate the foundation principals of the spiritual movement, as other posters eg #17 have indicated.
    One can say that the reality is there is a struggle between good and evil with or without any implied acceptance of a spiritual dimension. The reality of individual responsibility for attitudes and choices and for being informed is paramount.
    Furthermore much of the support for the MAGA Trump agenda is cult like to the core in the response of "The Base" to the Cult of Trump. That is why Trump's rallies are central to his strategy. So we have a conservative Catholic Priest stating Biden is "outed". Only in America? nah, this can happen anywhere but the US is ripe for the picking!
    Last edited by Hallam; 10-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

#23, second para.

there's a sucker born every minute

And boy are there a lot of suckers…………………. and a lot of those who make a good living exploiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    #23, second para.

there's a sucker born every minute

And boy are there a lot of suckers…………………. and a lot of those who make a good living exploiting them.
    Yes and no.

Not only in the churches......... but the armed forces fighting who's war?

It's too easy to dismiss the multitude as suckers. Many, if not most are good people. People who put their trust in leadership. The often spoken of Milgram_experiment testing obedience to authority reveals the importance and awesome responsibility of positions of leadership. That is why only the best of characters should be permitted to lead and robust checks and balances should apply. Our societies are foolish and immature in the manner in which the mantle of leadership is given. Conversations with respect to the morality of leadership are a non event. Ethics and leadership? Much written about that never sees application?
    And on a personal note, my reading of the available literature of the day indicates very strongly that the person written about in the gospels addressed every one of these manipulations, games of control, and injustices in a manner that was relevant and a direct challenge to the social, political and religious dynamics of his time and that's what got him nailed. Same would happen today.

It's very interesting how Trump's defence is so often the accusing of his opponent of the very misdemeanour he is guilty of. Check out his tweets.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    So my thesis is there is great power to be gained in the co opting of a religious movement and those who would control and manipulate will be the first to do so.
    By this shall ye know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    This human dynamic alone should not negate the foundation principals of the spiritual movement, as other posters eg #17 have indicated.
    The principles are corrupted with every passing day, on account of the power to be gained. If you would honor the principles, you must eschew the power.

Quote Originally Posted by cglynn View Post
    ^^^ What I call "selective Christianity." Amazing how many are perfectly fine deriding, to the point of demanding laws that oppress those who live an alternative lifestyle, citing the bible as their reason, while completely ignoring the parts of the bible that say don't eat shellfish, or don't wear polyester, don't get divorced, etc.

And the best part is when you ask them about that part, they say "well times have changed since then...."

Those "people" are nothing more than bigots hiding behind a (sometimes burning) cross.
    Selective, indeed. The hypocrisy, and the cluelessness are flabbergasting.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I am surprised that, given the history, the catholic church has any credibility anywhere. If biden believes in a god then he doesn't need any franchisee. No one owns the god patent.
    Partly it's inertia. Partly it's a power-base. And partly it's because the vast majority of Catholics are good people trying to live good lives - even withing the flawed framework of the RCC. That organization... any organization... is a tool to accomplish certain ends. Some people use the tool for personal gain, or as a vehicle to play out their own pathologies.

But despite the very real, and sometimes numbingly horrific, transgressions - the RCC has also accomplished a fair amount of good in the world. Establishing hospitals & universities, including at times when that was a huge deal. One could even argue that they served as the cradle of modern-day science. Introducing programs of charity and social action when the culture didn't really embrace such things. Totally befuddled the Romans, for instance. Exploring and advancing the medical arts at a time when no one else was, much. And that's just the beginning. The role they played protecting Jews from Hitler. The contributions of Catholic social activists to the fight against the Vietnam War.

You want to critique the RCC? Go for it. I'll join you... with a far-too-long list we're all familiar with, and with some others that are less known. But please do so fairly and knowledgeably. Hammer 'em where they deserve it. Praise them where they deserve that. But not blind, universal, and hateful. condemnation.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    As a Catholic, I cannot tell me how much this disappoints me. I am not surprised, but I am disappointed. An elected official must vote the will of the people and is not free to impose his personal beliefs on others. I will bet you anything that he will give communion to the man who performs executions for the state.

The JOB of elected people is to make decisions based on what is best for the country, city, etc., and within the bounds of our constitution.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

why is this news?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Many of you here know that my dad is a 7 day a week catholic. He also votes on one issue and one issue only, can you guess what it is ?

Also my father willingly did not accept Holy Communion for over 25 years. You see my mother divorced him when I was three and because he was a divorced man he followed the catechism that he should not accept the sacrament.So for 25 years he never partook, he sat in the pew an prayed. He married the love of his life, but instead of an elaborate church wedding they got married in city hall by a justice of the peace. He still attended mass, he sent all his children including me to Catholic School.

When my mother died he asked for a copy of her certificate of death so he could marry a woman in the church that he had been married to for 20 years. I gave him what he asked for and I was his best man to his church wedding.

pretty cool story joe. my brother went catholic after he got married to one. i think it's weird, but whateva you like i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    why is this news?

i say it's not news.

So Joe because Joe is OK with abortion he can’t eat what many RC’s believe to be the body of a human.

Religion is weird.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

You should come to church with me next Sunday. You'll like it. Tastes like chicken.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

why is this news?
    It points to a Biden liability that other liberals may not possess.

why is this news?
    I’d rather talk about the latest telescopes but there’s always revenge porn, not mine, I don’t have any.