Thread: Largest Viking Ship Replica Launched

Default Largest Viking Ship Replica Launched

This is the Myklebust Viking Ship, the plans were developed after studying the location of the rivets in the burial mound because this Viking was sent to the afterlife with the complete ceremony-burning the ship, his horse, his weapons and concubine. This will be a major attraction in Western Norway, Nordfjordeid is between Ålesund and Bergen.
    I have been following the various videos which were released about the project, but a good friend in Norway sent me the link which focuses on the actual construction. This is very personal to me as all the builders are from Bjørkedalen where I learned the ancient techniques of shaping boats, tools and methods and hull form little changed from Viking times.
    Bjørkedalen lies midway between Nordfjordeid and Volda, and this high mountain lake and region has been supplying both boats and timber to the coastal areas since Viking times. Almost every farm had a boat shop, it was their winter crop.
    The video is 39 minutes long, and in Norwegian, but most of the spoken words are the dialect that I learned.
    Hope this link works:

https://tv.nrk.no/se?v=DKSF46001016&t=2s
    Last edited by Paul Schweiss; 10-28-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Largest Viking Ship Replica Launched

Wow - great project....

I opened the link in Google Chrome and asked to have the page translated. Then played the video and the dialog captions were translated into English.

Thanks Paul

That is really cool!

Great!! the project, the boat, and especially all the people climbing aboard and going for a row after launching!

I planned on sharing this but doupted the Norwegian TV channel web-TV was available to people outside Norway. Good thing it was!

Fredostli, is there a way to download this from the NRK site? I tried but could not find a way.

Hi - what am I missing here? I tried several times - clicked on the link, but do not see the video???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Fredostli, is there a way to download this from the NRK site? I tried but could not find a way.
    I've downloaded vids from NRK previously, with a command line tool I installed on a computer I don't have anymore.
    So it is (or at least was) possible.
    Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the tool and I currently only have my work computer on which I cannot install and try any of the tools that comes up here but there may be something there that works.

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    You can install video downloader extensions in Firefox. These allow you to download video from most websites.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Thank you WX, I will do that. Firefox is my Browser

Quote Originally Posted by WBViking View Post
    Hi - what am I missing here? I tried several times - clicked on the link, but do not see the video???
    Sorry, I can’t help you. The only problem I had was stopping and trying to restart the video on my iPad

It's interesting that the ship was mostly made of pine. The other large Viking ship built in Norway a few years ago was built of oak. It was sailed to the usa.
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

I believe the vikings used both species, depending on what was locally awailable. Oak is most common in the southern parts of Norway

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

"...this Viking was sent to the afterlife with the complete ceremony-burning the ship, his horse, his weapons and concubine."

Hmm. I've long though I'd want to go this way in the end. Got the boat. Now to find a horse, weapons and a willing concubine. Craigslist for the horse and weapons? Tinder for the concubine?

There is another wonderful NRK(National TV Network) video that I was able to watch on a tiny TV someone loaned us when we lived in Norway. It documented the building of the Kvalsunds Ship by Sigurd Bjørkedal. Arne Emil Christensen was the narrator, he was the Curator at the Antiquities Museum in Oslo.
    I remember the scenes of gathering and milling the wood, the natural crooks, much of it via horse logging. The heart stopping scene was the launching of the ship being transported on the special horse drawn wagon the people of Bjørkedal had purchased in the mid-19th century to deliver larger vessels to the salt water. The wagon was led by a fiddler and people in National costume accompanying the ship. The parade comes in view coming around a sharp bend in the road with a sheer cliff blocking the longer view, and when the Viking upswept bow appears it is magical.
    This video played on broadcast TV, dated about 1975, and I have tried un-successfully to find it in the NRK archives. My Norwegian does not get me real far, and I can have enough trouble navigating the intricacies of the Internet in English.
    Maybe one of the Scandinavian Forumites will have better luck?

Last edited by skuthorp; 11-01-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    "...this Viking was sent to the afterlife with the complete ceremony-burning the ship, his horse, his weapons and concubine."

Hmm. I've long though I'd want to go this way in the end. Got the boat. Now to find a horse, weapons and a willing concubine. Craigslist for the horse and weapons? Tinder for the concubine?
    Dave, you may get to the afterlife sooner than you want if you go looking for a concubine, careful my friend!