Thread: Micro cruising, simplified......

Default Micro cruising, simplified......

Micro Cruising beyond the limits on a tight budget......
    Who said sailing was a rich sport????

https://youtu.be/Z9-96ncQ9eg

Default Re: Micro cruising, simplified......

Noticing the youtube clip of your Greek Isle outing, lack of shelter for overnight onboard accomodation has me thinking that a Polynesian shunter ( along the Tuamotu canoe lines), might provide a little more in the way of facilities that could mean saving of hotel costs.
    Earlier today I made an attempt to show the OP poster (of another thread requesting ideas on design), what a Polynesian(Pacific) proa could offer. So having prepared a drawing to complete the picture, I might as well post it here now to give you a hint on potential for a small proa.I4man pahi sailing.jpgI4man pahi sailing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Noticing the youtube clip of your Greek Isle outing, lack of shelter for overnight onboard accomodation has me thinking that a Polynesian shunter ( along the Tuamotu canoe lines), might provide a little more in the way of facilities that could mean saving of hotel costs.
    Earlier today I made an attempt to show the OP poster (of another thread requesting ideas on design), what a Polynesian(Pacific) proa could offer. So having prepared a drawing to complete the picture, I might as well post it here now to give you a hint on potential for a small proa.I4man pahi sailing.jpgI4man pahi sailing.jpg
    I like it! I have a 30 footer floating in my mind that will have plenty accommodation.... For now Make O'Break is too small for on board accommodation, still I really like the low windage design in that drawing and plan on building sort of that on a bigger build I hope to start in a year from now, I feel i need to sail more before I build my ultimate cruiser....

Thanx, that's a real cool image that has already got me thinking......
    Keep Shunting man,
    BSY.

Quote Originally Posted by rael dobkins View Post
    I like it! I have a 30 footer floating in my mind that will have plenty accommodation.... For now Make O'Break is too small for on board accommodation, still I really like the low windage design in that drawing and plan on building sort of that on a bigger build I hope to start in a year from now, I feel i need to sail more before I build my ultimate cruiser....

Thanx, that's a real cool image that has already got me thinking......
    Keep Shunting man,
    BSY.
    Thought you might appreciate that, since you have no doubt not as yet have been shown the real picture of Oceanic shunters.This image is merely my take on a Polynesian shunter with a max WL of 15ft......ie. slightly more than the Tuamotu canoe that I saw in the British museum.
    Once you get up to 30ft Wl it is possible to have standing headroom under the dodger and 5 berth accomodation, without a high windage superstructure(as on a catamaran), and is like I have with my SOPahi of that size.
    Smaller, as shown in this sketch, is highly likely to have been like those seen in use in eastern Polynesia at the time of first contact and no doubt before that time as well (despite whatCapt Cook thought and had to say).

Length, as measured from tips of extension to the lee hull ends, gives the impression of a considerably longer canoe than the footprint (on the water) shows it to be -- eg. my 30ft Pahi has an OA length of 42 ft (same as the genuine Tuamotu Pahi measured and drawn by Admiral Paris), while the historic ones described as being 100ft long, could possibly have been only 65ft on the water.
    Going with the concept of the original Polynesian shunter certainly has a lot to offer in the way of saving in cost, material bulk and windage.... good luck with your future builing and sailing.