Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy to grow by.

Default Dinghy to grow by.

I have managed to salvage a couple of 24 ft western red cedar planks from an old high-line upgrade project. These two planks, about 2.375 x 9.25 are quarter-sawn and look to yield all the cedar strips I will need to build a 10ft x 4ft dinghy. I also happen to have a couple of small elm trees that will yield the ribs and a couple of burr oak trees (a variety of white oak) that will yield the rest of the framing material. The first question that I would expect this esteemed group to ask is, "Whose plans will you be using?" Simply put, my own. Some twenty plus years ago I built the cedar planked hull of a 21ft sailboat with no more qualifications than a lifetime as a woodworker and builder and a year's subscription to wooden boat magazine. I have done a hull design for this dinghy in Delfship, and used this design to loft up a full-size drawing for frames. My intent is to post a few pics as I work my way through this project, and open myself up to input from this college of experienced boat builders.
    20181022_075714.jpg20181008_120853.jpg

Default Re: Dinghy to grow by.

Welcome to the forum.
    Interesting shape. What does the profile and bow/buttock lines look like?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Pretty cool sailboat !
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

I will try to figure out how to post the profile view. Thank you for your interest.

Rowing or sailing? Dimensions sound a bit like the shorter version of the Cosine Wherry. Keep the photos comin'!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I am planning on a sailing rig for the craft, as well as rowing. The intent at first, was to build a tender for a 33ft that I have designed or the 40ft. Part of me was hoping that this dinghy would satisfy the itch for the larger vessels. I guess I will find out if the itch is a building bug or a boat bug...20190217_202346.jpg

^Interesting, and reminiscent of Uffa Fox's seminal early work, if a bit narrower in the transom. That rise of floor and beam looks to make a good load carrier under oars as well.

johnw. No particular reason for the tumble-home save personal preference. Maybe influence from decades of paddling canoes. Even my large boat designs have it. I suppose everyone has "a thing", right or wrong.

This morning it was six below zero, so I went out to the shop and threw a few sticks in the woodburner to bring the temp up to light jacket. I clamped a stack of red oak laminations, as a test, into this form that I used to build a floating top coffee table with white oak legs and frames and mahogany butcherblock top.With a few shims and spacers I was able to get the curve to match the dinghy stem, so a glue-up in white oak would work or I could use my steam box and bend up a piece of green white oak.20190218_083349.jpg

OK, this is really cool. Just jumping in and doing it. I love it.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by lclavake View Post
    johnw. No particular reason for the tumble-home save personal preference. Maybe influence from decades of paddling canoes. Even my large boat designs have it. I suppose everyone has "a thing", right or wrong.

This morning it was six below zero, so I went out to the shop and threw a few sticks in the woodburner to bring the temp up to light jacket. I clamped a stack of red oak laminations, as a test, into this form that I used to build a floating top coffee table with white oak legs and frames and mahogany butcherblock top.With a few shims and spacers I was able to get the curve to match the dinghy stem, so a glue-up in white oak would work or I could use my steam box and bend up a piece of green white oak.20190218_083349.jpg
    If you like the look, that's reason enough.

Opportunity often helps in the decision making, so this morning I will scour through my oak beam inventories and see if I can find enough white oak clear wood to cut up the required slats to laminate the stem. If I can find a beam that will work, then progress will be faster than cutting down a tree. Plus, if I run into enough dry stock, perhaps I can do the same for the keel and other scheduled oak parts. I have so much red oak, it really is a shame that it is not a "boat wood" of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Why the tumble home?
    Because... beauty!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Because... beauty!!! <
    All in the eye of the beholder. I like the gentler way the light falls on the topsides with a little flare, but obviously others have different preferences.

I do believe I have it! This little bit of salvage, oops "repurposed" oak should do the trick. It is a 5ft 4 x 8 of white oak.
    It is starting to look like I will do a bent lamination for the stem...although, with some effort I could perhaps try an experimental bend from this stock...but it is terribly dry.

20190219_122100.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

It will be interesting to see how your boat sits at the dock when empty. It might flop over on one bilge, without any weight in it. Looks a bit funny, but doesn't hurt anything.

robm: I guess if it looks too funny, I can always load it with clowns!

A sandbag may do it. Easier to control than clowns. You can shift it around, like a dory stone, to balance the boat for different headings WRT the wind.

A friend of mine had a 13 foot row boat with a similar shape, lots of deadrise. It was originally used to handline salmon. He used it as a commuter vehicle, from a boat at anchor to his shop on Granville Island. He reckoned it went better with the ballast, as it was built to handle a lot of fish, and still be easy to row. It rowed extremely well, with or without the ballast, but looked a bit weird at the dock, flopped over on the bilge. The extra displacement is a feature, not a bug.

I glued a stem of 8 quarter inch laminations, using epoxy. Think I did everything right but it started to delaminate almost immediately.

Not saying you can't glue white oak, but do your reading and prepare carefully.

Jamie

PS Nice lines.
    Last edited by Jamie Orr; 02-19-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added PS

Jamie: Thank you for the warning. I have been reading about white oak lamination failures all over the internet...curious. I have been using white oak for quite a few projects, including several laminations, and have not had any trouble at all...but I have not used epoxy for these projects. They have all been glued with either polyurethane glue or Titebond II. I will do some experiments to verify my bonding method prior to committing it to the boat.

On a different subject, your last name. Do you have any family in South Dakota? Just curious because I am close with an Orr family here in the Black Hills, and also know his father, mother, and brother, in the Aberdeen area.

LaVerne

The main clown loaded into the craft would be me...and I tip the scales at a horse and a half...but portable ballast could be good, as well as perhaps a weighted center or dagger board.

Jamie: Thank you for the warning. I have been reading about white oak lamination failures all over the internet...curious. I have been using white oak for quite a few projects, including several laminations, and have not had any trouble at all...but I have not used epoxy for these projects. They have all been glued with either polyurethane glue or Titebond II. I will do some experiments to verify my bonding method prior to committing it to the boat.

LaVerne
    Resorcinol glue should do it if you do not mind purple glue lines.

https://www.amazon.com/Aerodux-Resor.../dp/B00DP5VQD2

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/...esorcinol.html

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Thanks. I have never used the stuff, but sounds like a possible option.
    Back in the day, we used to use urea resin to laminate up roof truss gussets. I believe it was also waterproof and was a brown glue-line...I assume it is still available...man, was that really 40 years ago?

Thanks. I have never used the stuff, but sounds like a possible option.
    Back in the day, we used to use urea resin to laminate up roof truss gussets. I believe it was also waterproof and was a brown glue-line...I assume it is still available...man, was that really 40 years ago?
    Same stuff I believe. It is the glue in WBP Marine plywood.

The brown stuff is urea formaldehyde. Waterproof plywood is made with phenol formaldehyde. Resorcinol glue is related. UF and resorcinol are getting hard to find. They are impossible to obtain in hardware stores. They both have a shelf life, and old glue doesn't work as well as fresh, so buying it over the Internet is a bit risky.

What are you using as a target displacement? The hull looks "big" compared to the various LFH dinghies I have been looking at in Roger Taylor's equally excellent second volume.
    I am really tempted by some of those hulls, built the new way with modern sails and foils....
    SHC

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Should carry quite a load.
    It reminds me of the Loch Broom post boat.
    A big rise of floor and generous beam. When light she has a narrow waterline for easy rowing, but the flare/rise of floor allows for big carrying capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by SHClark View Post
    What are you using as a target displacement? The hull looks "big" compared to the various LFH dinghies I have been looking at in Roger Taylor's equally excellent second volume.
    I am really tempted by some of those hulls, built the new way with modern sails and foils....
    SHC
    I can't promise that my calculations are right, but I think it will take 316 pounds to settle it down so the stern touches the water.

20181022_074610.jpg

I reduced the 24 ft planks to a manageable 12 ft and then ripped them to .80 x 2.375. The next cuts will be to clean up the edges on the jointer/plane and then lightly dress the faces. The next cuts will be bandsawn rips to .37 x .75 inches. It theory that will yield 6 planks from each of these blanks. Obviously, not every blank will yield the magic number. I have to smile at this because when I built the Vera J, I had no plan, no material list, no idea what lofting was, and no sketch. I just had a picture in my mind of how I wanted it to look and the rough dimensions of 21 x 5. I just kept cutting wood until I got her where I wanted her to be.

Attached Images Attached Images

I have found a couple of kiln dried Douglas Fir 4x4 that would work for mast and boom stock...but I was just offered a shot at a couple of still standing green Black Hills spruce, that I could get several projects out of. Any opinions?

I have found a couple of kiln dried Douglas Fir 4x4 that would work for mast and boom stock...but I was just offered a shot at a couple of still standing green Black Hills spruce, that I could get several projects out of. Any opinions?
    Doug fir is really heavy compared to spruce.

20190306_170658.jpg
    This branch is about 9 inches and burr oak. I plan on dropping it in the near future as soon as I have an appointment date with the sawyer. I guess I could Alaska mill the thing, but I am hoping for a good price! Seems I ought to be able to find a use for this hook, if the inside holds true.

20190516_131214.jpgI have the stem/keel mold roughed out and managed to cut half of the laminate oak for the this phase. Should finish the laminate stack tomorrow if my blade holds out.