Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

I think I should know, but I don't what are they?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I think I should know, but I don't what are they?
    Denise. They are brackets for hold down straps. I'm going epoxy them to the hull in places (like under seats) where I plan to secure gear. I actually got the idea from Larchmont Jim's build, but his brackets were done a bit differently. I'll use one pair on either side of the DB trunk for the DB holddown strap as well.
    I swear I'm half done.

Got it! Just wondering if maybe the grain direction should be the other way but they're probably not going to get it heavy load on them anyhow.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Got it! Just wondering if maybe the grain direction should be the other way but they're probably not going to get it heavy load on them anyhow.
    Padeyes is the term that escaped me yesterday. Yes, my bad, I got the grain direction wrong in the interest of cutting efficiency. But this stuff is pretty tough so I don't think it'll be an issue.
    I swear I'm half done.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... Of course all things are relative.

The best:

I cut all the pieces for the DB trunk. I then glassed the trunk interior, so that's underway. By the time I'm ready to assemble I should have a completed DB to fit to the trunk.

One leg ended up being 2 pieces, primarily because I am a terrible material planner. It should not be a problem either structurally or visually.

The worst:

Our young (10 months) Australian Labradoodle puppy - 50 lb of constant fun and energy - decided to snack on one of the side panels of the main mast step. Next time I talk to Clint I'll have to see if he happens to have any scraps of the sapele ply I can grab so I can make another.

I'll be doing a lot of glass and epoxy coating over the next several days. There won't be much to show there until I have some final products.
    I swear I'm half done.

Ouch! Puppies will eat everything, right?

Great progress though, thoroughly enjoying the story here!
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    Ouch! Puppies will eat everything, right?

Great progress though, thoroughly enjoying the story here!
    Thanks Billy!
    I swear I'm half done.

We once boarded our friend’s dog for about a year. He was a serious eater of things when he was nervous or alone. He ate our gate, one of our French doors, and half of a job pack of 80 grit sandpaper. He ate his galvanized water bucket, too.

Dogs are so weird. His brother used to carry rocks around in his mouth. He’d snorfle up smooth, round rocks from the river bed and carry them around. Dumbass wore his teeth out prematurely doing it.

Ain't dogs grand?

Mine will eat my straw hats if I leave them down. And I wouldn’t trade her for a billion straw hats.

Peace,
    Robert

i had to add a couple of pics, mostly because the rudder looks damn good IMHO. There's one blemish (darker spot) on the side not shown. I tried to sand it prior to first coat of epoxy, but whatever it is, is into the wood. So, I will have a blemish. I'll get brave and show that a bit later. The DB trunk is coming along nicely too. I had to use a little fairing compound on the DB to clean up some low spots (plane happy) - I think I may have goofed up a bit because I did not sand those areas before first coat of epoxy. Should I sand and re-do?

Both the DB and the rudder will be glassed next.

Rudder:

Blurry DB:

DB Trunk (glassed, 2 coats epoxy) :

I swear I'm half done.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    We once boarded our friend’s dog for about a year. He was a serious eater of things when he was nervous or alone. He ate our gate, one of our French doors, and half of a job pack of 80 grit sandpaper. He ate his galvanized water bucket, too.

Dogs are so weird. His brother used to carry rocks around in his mouth. He’d snorfle up smooth, round rocks from the river bed and carry them around. Dumbass wore his teeth out prematurely doing it.

Ain't dogs grand?

Mine will eat my straw hats if I leave them down. And I wouldn’t trade her for a billion straw hats.

Peace,
    Robert
    Well this had me chuckling. My previous dog, a Golden Retriever, once ate a toilet bowl wax ring. THE ENTIRE RING. After a call to animal poison control, where I found out that it was just beeswax and "would be okay, but you might see some weird excrement". Boy was that an understatement. Green forceful blasting for 2 days after that.
    I swear I'm half done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bergquist View Post
    Well this had me chuckling. My previous dog, a Golden Retriever, once ate a toilet bowl wax ring. THE ENTIRE RING. After a call to animal poison control, where I found out that it was just beeswax and "would be okay, but you might see some weird excrement". Boy was that an understatement. Green forceful blasting for 2 days after that.
    When I was about 11 my friend's puppy ate an entire 64 color box of Crayola crayons. Being 11, I was extremely grateful when he invited me over to see the results.

I have been busy laying fiberglass and epoxy on the DB, the Rudder foil, and the DB trunk. I've not completed these yet, but I do have a few questions for the fiberglass and epoxy experts. My last fiberglass experience was in the 1980s, laying up a whitewater kayak with polyester resin, E-glass and nylon. So I'm an antique!...

First the DB trunk. First coat (of 2) of graphite impregnated epoxy. I know some here don't believe in it, but the designer calls for it so it's going in the trunk. Once I have 2 coats down I'll sand down to 320 grit as his plan calls for. First question: I rolled and tipped the graphite epoxy mixture, is it necessary to tip if I'm going to sand?

DB: Third coat of epoxy on this (still wet in the pic). I still see just a hint of fiberglass texture, so I'm going to assume I should put down one more coat?

Now for the hard question. This is the rudder with 3 coats of epoxy. I plan to leave the rudder bright, but the fiberglass seams (I did the fiberglass in 3 pieces - one on each face, and then a small piece on the bottom run on the bias to wrap it tightly) are showing through. I thought with epoxy they would disappear like the mat does, but apparently not. Any way to fix this? I had sanded the seam edges smooth prior to coating, I'm thinking I did something wrong here. Suggestions welcome on ways I might recover this. Again, epoxy still wet in this pic.

I'm very surprised how much stuff there is inboard that must be epoxy coated. I grossly underestimated the time required to get this all done (even though I have the entire winter), and the logistics to get everything done on 2 sides.
    I swear I'm half done.

I've finished the interior of the DB trunk, and epoxied the timbers to one side. Then temporarily clamped and screwed the other side together to test fit the DB in the trunk. It was a little loose, so a couple of passes with the plane to take off about 1/32" from the timbers made a nice fit with enough play for the paint to be applied.

The DB has the last coat of epoxy applied and dry, and yesterday my Pettit primer and paint arrived (just quarts for now). I selected Hatteras Cream, a new color and just a bit more off white than Sandstone. I'm going to do the DB as a color test and to verify final fit in the DB trunk before glue up.

I'm also continuing on with epoxy coating the seats, rudder head, transom, and will start on the bulkheads and stem over the weekend. Boring work, not worth pics (except maybe the transom...).

I didn't get any feedback on the rudder issue with the glass line, but after looking at it, it doesn't look too bad. I had considered painting the lower 2" of the rudder blade, perhaps black... but I may just leave it. That sapele hardwood is just too beautiful to cover up. Also, the dark spot I mentioned earlier has disappeared. It might have been the 'shrooms.

As a rookie builder, it took me a few sessions to get the real hang of rolling and tipping. I had some advice to not bother with tipping the first coat of epoxy, as "it just soaks in"... but I've found that if I take the short time it takes to tip it out you get a much better finish after the subsequent coats.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 12-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    I swear I'm half done.

It might have been the 'shrooms.

As a rookie builder, it took me a few sessions to get the real hang of rolling and tipping. I had some advice to not bother with tipping the first coat of epoxy, as "it just soaks in"... but I've found that if I take the short time it takes to tip it out you get a much better finish after the subsequent coats.
    I've rolled and tipped paint before, but haven't done it with epoxy. But after reading this and thinking about it, why wouldn't it work on epoxy? Looks like I've learned something Pete, thanks!

As for dark spots, it musta been the 'shrooms!
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Ha! Yes it's common to tip out epoxy, but someone with a lot of experience (and perhaps skill!) told me that it's not necessary with the first coat. I'm finding it works better for me if I do.
    I swear I'm half done.

With Christmas in the rear view mirror it's time again to start making headway on the parts ready for epoxy.

If you're a booty lover, here's some eye candy for ya.

A couple of bulkheads getting their coats on. The forward bulkhead now has eyes (waterproof hatch cover cutouts).

... and the midship bulkhead.

... and the inner stem.

Soon I'll be done with the parts that were ready for epoxy, and then it will be back to making some sawdust. The biggest thing holding me back right now is a lack of cleat stock. I want to have any cleats necessary attached before I epoxy so I'm not constantly sanding and refinishing.
    I swear I'm half done.

I've also been finishing up the DB and the rudder head - both are getting EZPoxy in Hatteras Cream. This will also be the color I use for the boat interior, when I have a boat interior.

Once the DB is finished completely I can finish up the DB trunk as well. The DB has been giving me a few fits though. I've been through a couple of rounds of fairing, and every time I think I have it completely faired I find another slight imperfection. At this point they are small enough to pass the 3 foot test, so we're calling it good. I can drive myself crazy with this stuff, I have to keep reminding myself I'm building this to sail, not sit on a shelf and look pretty.

Man, the shop is quite the mess. Lately I've been drooling over my buddy's shop, as he has a "dirty" area and a "finish" area. This I do not have so I am switching back and forth. Once I'm back up in Maine there will be much more room to keep multiple things moving. Can't wait for that.
    I swear I'm half done.

I've also been finishing up the DB and the rudder head - both are getting EZPoxy in Hatteras Cream. This will also be the color I use for the boat interior, when I have a boat interior.

Once the DB is finished completely I can finish up the DB trunk as well. The DB has been giving me a few fits though. I've been through a couple of rounds of fairing, and every time I think I have it completely faired I find another slight imperfection. At this point they are small enough to pass the 3 foot test, so we're calling it good. I can drive myself crazy with this stuff, I have to keep reminding myself I'm building this to sail, not sit on a shelf and look pretty.

Man, the shop is quite the mess. Lately I've been drooling over my buddy's shop, as he has a "dirty" area and a "finish" area. This I do not have so I am switching back and forth. Once I'm back up in Maine there will be much more room to keep multiple things moving. Can't wait for that.

For a while, I thought you had it together. Then, you called that shop area a mess?!

Hahahahahahaha! You obviously don’t know what a messy work area looks like.

Keep grinding. These bits of detail always drag on and on. It’s looking wonderful!

Peace,
    Robert

HAHA! I am getting better at hiding the worst areas. Trust me, it really needs a good cleanup and organizing. It really drives me crazy that I'm using my table saw as a giant finishing table. Yes, that's my table saw.

I'm kind of glad that I'm getting a lot of these bits done first. I think once I'm back north things will move along nicely with planking and then the first flip. I'll have a lot of stuff ready to go!
    I swear I'm half done.

Well, what are we going to do now, Ollie?

I started to pull out some of the other pieces I'll be prepping and finishing over the winter, and came across this:

It's the forward watertight compartment cover... complete with a cutout for an access port. Except that I've already cut two ports in the bulkhead.
    So I've got a bit of a dilemma.
    I am thinking that perhaps I should make a nice cover and install my christmas present from the spousal unit there:

It's not exactly where I wanted to put it, but methinks my hands might be tied at this point. Anyone else have some suggestions on ways to address this? Would it be practical to just epoxy a piece of 6mm underneath the CNC cuts, and then fill with thickened epoxy and sand?

Let's just say it was quite a surprise when I actually got this cover out and saw the cutout!
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 01-06-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    I swear I'm half done.

Were there directions you hadn't read? Otherwise, as in any build it is good to get complete control (at least the feeling of complete control) of the whole process before beginning. In the case of a kit going over the whole kit to see what was there, seeing how the whole will come together.

Yes there are plans and a build guide. the forward deck was sitting in a stack of other parts and only the corner in question was covered. others who have built this boat have had to cut the cover openings, and a few have chosen to relocate them to the bulkhead - which is what I did. I knew Clint had cut the aft watertight hatches in the covers, but I mistakenly thought he was still leaving the final placement of the forward cover(s) to the builder. It's a big "my bad" on me.

Unless those more creative than I chime in, the way I see it I have three options:

(1) add a third unnecessary hatch cover
    (2) cover, epoxy, and sand fair the rogue opening.
    (3) it becomes the compass location with some trim out.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 01-06-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    I swear I'm half done.

No problems, only solutions.

Might be simple enough to screw a piece of plastic-covered plywood underneath, then epoxy in a filler circle of plywood in the deck (remove the underlay after the glue sets). I think I'd rather try that than mount a compass way up there.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Put another inspection hatch there since you will be easily able to see inside the tank.It isn't hard to add a mounting block for the compass in a location where you can easily see the card.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Might be simple enough to screw a piece of plastic-covered plywood underneath, then epoxy in a filler circle of plywood in the deck (remove the underlay after the glue sets). I think I'd rather try that than mount a compass way up there.

Tom
    Tom, thank you. This is almost exactly what I came up with after I slept on it. My thought was to use wax paper covering plywood, along with an old lathe trick... I'll cyanoacrylate glue ("super glue") the plywood to the deck bottom and then fill those gaps with fillet material. Then removal of the plywood is simple using debonder which essentially dissolves the cyanoacrylate glue. NO SCREW HOLES to deal with!

I know that Clint updates his kits from time to time based on feedback from other builders, but I didn't think to inspect that front deck before I cut the hatch holes in the bulkhead. At any rate I really wanted a clean deck. Putting a compass there was far less than ideal, and the platform would have been HUGE and out of place.

Thank you to all who provided input.
    I swear I'm half done.

Things keep moving.

The forward deck patch is coming nicely. Epoxy is curing and then a sand and fairing putty treatment and it should be ready for some epoxy coating. I'll post up the fix details after it's complete.

For now, I (finally!) declared the DB a done deal. The tape is off and even though I'm tempted to take one more shot at making it more better, I'll resist that by stuffing it in a corner where it'll be out of sight.

Shop is back in sawdust making mode. YEAH! A few items I'll be tackling:

* Making the mast cradles
    * Design and shape the tiller
    * Look at a few options for a tiller extension
    * Build the mast plugs
    * Shape the mast partner and mast gate
    * Cut many various cleats
    * Work out the changes to the sternposts required to secure it to the transom, along with coming up with a way to precisely locate them without the locating slots in the transom. (**)

(**) This one could get interesting, and will likely need to wait until I have the transom on the strongback. The three aft covers (2 watertight hatches and a lazerette) should give some good clues, but there are no specific measurements in the plans I can find because everything just references locating the sternposts in the transom slots - which don't exist. At any rate, once I have a good 3D visual I think it will come together without too many issues.
    I swear I'm half done.

The results of the hatch cutout repair.

Spoiler Alert: It worked quite well. The CA glue allows for repairs needing a backer board without having to use screws.

The supporting cast:

The THICK adhesive works best for this application. First line your backer board with the release material you prefer. I used wax paper here. Put a small drop of the CA glue at each corner, trying not to get the CA glue too far into the interior. The closer to the edge for your glue joint, the easier it will be to remove when your repair is complete.

After you've got the CA glue applied, spray the activator on the surface you are attaching to. NOTE: Do not get any activator spray on your wet clue. It will instantly cure! Then quickly press into place. You will not have an opportunity to reposition, so make sure it's where you want it.

Then perform the repair. here I used the remaining blank from the cutout left by the CNC machine, then filled with thickened epoxy. Once past green, I faired with Quickfair.

Once the repair is complete, line the corners of the backer board where you applied CA glue with the debonder. Wait a minute or so then give it a quick blow with a putty knife, or any object used to make an impact. The backer board should drop free leaving the "bottom side" of the repair for finishing.

When doing lathe work I use CA glue often to hold objects on waste boards for turning. A bit of trivia: The debonder is a mixture of acetone and nitromethane. In a pinch you could conceivably use the stuff to power your funny car for about 0.00005 seconds.

The CA glue spots sand off easily, and a little extra debonder on a rag will clear any residue.
    I swear I'm half done.

So I have another question for the better initiated than I.

This craft, when complete, will be primarily sailed on our lake in Maine. The shore is quite rocky, with everything from fist sized sharp edged rocks to volkswagen sized boulders and everything in between. Beach is preciously scarce. Even the "boat launch", which is really a long dirt road path to a shallow cove can get dicey when the water is low.

The plans call for 6oz fiberglass sheathing on the bottom and garboards, but after reading another thread discussing dynel, I was wondering if that might be a better choice for this situation. What I don't know, is whether it would be so difficult to get it on "right" that it's not worth doing. What I'd like to achieve is a boat that would be tolerant of the occasional rock encounter that I'm sure I'll be experiencing.

Would it make sense? Are there application techniques that would help with a successful install? As a rookie builder, am I biting off more than I can chew here? (or have I already done that just by starting the project?).
    I swear I'm half done.

Hmm. No Dynel thoughts.

A lot of putzing around today.

Finished the mast supports for building the main mast.

Working on the plugs for the mast step and partner. I will have to leave the plug in the peak for after the mast is built, I will need a final measurement to fab that one.

Onward Ho!
    I swear I'm half done.

I played around with the sternposts today, to come up with a workable way to fasten the aft end of the sternpost to the transom.

First thing, I cut off the tabs that were originally intended to pin the sternpost to the transom. These tabs were to go through the non-existent slots in the transom. No turning back now!

Then I roughed out a pair of sapele blanks to be used to accept SS screws that will come through the transom and be countersunk (after mounting on strongback)

Then prepared the top cleat from some iroko I have laying around (clamped with the blue/black clamps), and shaped the sapele cleat to fit the aft end of the sternpost.

Between the sternposts, at the transom there is a top cover that is also the mizzen partner. This will help set the space between the sternposts, which I then just have to ensure are centered on the transom.

I won't be able to glue up and epoxy seal the sternposts until after the stongback is set up, because I can't mark and drill the holes for the transom screws if the sapele and iroko cleats are installed due to interference from the iroko cleat. The plan will be to set everything in place on the strongback and mark the sapele cleat location on the transom, then disassemble and drill/countersink the holes needed in the transom to tie everything together. Then I can put everything back on the strongback and epoxy/screw the transom to the sternpost cleats. epoxy sealing will be done after turnover.

Those sapele cleats will need a little "field fitting" to bevel them to the hull shape at the aft end, another step left for later.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 01-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    I swear I'm half done.

I'm finished beating myself up over the Dynel question posted earlier. While there might be an upside to using Dynel on the bottom/garboards, the potential to royally screw things up has steered me to just stay the course with the fiberglass. I'm a first timer, I really don't need to be complicating things just because I think I can improve on a solution. The designer has a way to build his (Yes, HIS!) design, I should respect that.

The same argument holds true for the rails. I had been considering putting sapele spacers between ash rails to make a spaced rail (which is not a design option!). As I get further into this project I can now see where that would add a whole lot of complication - probably stressing my skill level and certainly stressing Clint's phone and e-mail systems.

So the biggest decisions I have left are a) what color for the boat hull (interior will be the hatteras cream used on the DB), and b) what should I name her?

Both of those questions will keep me plenty occupied over the next 4 months. Oh yes, and only 4 months until heading north where the real work (with little power and a much sparser toolset) will begin. Can't wait!
    I swear I'm half done.

Scuppered rails IE spacers are great for letting water out when you roll the boat but they also let water in when sailing,. It's another argument for when the cows come home It's more of an aesthetic decision.

If you can lay glass, you can lay dynel,

Best thing you can do, get a pair of boots if you don't want to get your feet wet, launch load or unload the boat in shallow water and not even try for Rocky coast Beach landings that will trash your investment sooner rather than later.

Scuppered rails IE spacers are great for letting water out when you roll the boat but they also let water in when sailing,. It's another argument for when the cows come home It's more of an aesthetic decision.
    See if you can find somebody who enjoyed varnishing inside the gaps......

If you can lay glass, you can lay dynel,

Best thing you can do, get a pair of boots if you don't want to get your feet wet, launch load or unload the boat in shallow water and not even try for Rocky coast Beach landings that will trash your investment sooner rather than later.
    Well wet feet really aren't a problem. Up there, there's really no option but to hop out when near shore. Heck, when I take my fishing boat out I have to jump in waist deep water to get it on the trailer. (Long story, our "boat launch" is one that even fish and game refuse to use because it's so shallow so far out).

I hadn't planned on "beaching" on the rocks anyway, but there will be inevitable scrapes and such. I have time before I have to make a final decision on the dynel. As long as I can get it delivered before I head north I'll be fine. Supply deliveries once I'm there can get a bit convoluted to the point of being problematic in that I have to inconvenience friends.

I'm scratching my head on how a scuppered rail (thank you for educating me on correct terminology) lets water in? If water gets up to a non-scuppered rail won't it come in anyway? Or are you assuming I'll have the beast heeled over far enough to hang a rail in the water? Heh. If I'm pushing the limits that far disaster is at my doorstep for sure!
    I swear I'm half done.