Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

Default Re: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

Great idea!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

I need to tap the collective wisdom of this forum...

I'm going to be using Pettit EZPoxy topside paint on the interior, but I want the finish to be something less then high gloss. I'd prefer not to have to do an extensive science project to determine how much satin additive to use if possible.

The Pettit website "ask the expert" was not helpful, i submitted a question and didn't get any response at all.

Does anyone know what ratio of paint to satin additive to use to get a semi gloss finish? Eggshell? Satin? The can instructions provide no guidance.

Thank you in advance.
    I swear I'm half done.

Finally out of internet jail! Last week we ran out of "high speed data" on our "unlimited plan" which made our connection pretty much unusable.

Last week our son was visiting, so no further explanation necessary on that topic!

Project update: I completed 3 coats of 2 part epoxy primer, but I have decided to hold off on the interior topside paint until next year due to weather and temperature here. So I'm going to do a few last cleanup tasks then get packed up to head home.

The fairing was "fair". It seems every effort to fix little issues caused other issues, so i cleaned up what i could and am calling it "first boat done". Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the results, it's just humbling to see what real craftsmen can do here on this forum.

Here's where I am now, boat will be minus the tape before I put it away.

With the extra time, I glued up the main mast. I approached this with lots of trepidation, but it turned out to be easier than I thought.

So now over the winter I plan to finish a lot of the remaining bits including the mizzen mast, yard, boom, boomkin, and sprit boom., and build and finish a set of oars. I'm already excited to get back here to finish next spring.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 10-12-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    I swear I'm half done.

So she's ready for a long, cold, lonely winter. Cradles are put up and she's resting on the trailebr />

I also found time to finish preliminary shaping of the main mast. Not too much work left to do before applying finish next spring

Time to shut down the water system and power, then pack up and head to (somewhat) warmer climes.
    I swear I'm half done.

After a long but uneventful trip home, including a lot of unpacking and shop organizing, I'm finally getting a few things done.

I've declared fall to be mast, boom, and spar season.

From top to bottom:

Hollow box main boom
    Yard
    Mizzen mast
    Boomkin
    Sprit boom

Some final sanding and they'll be ready for finish. I plan to epoxy coat then paint the box boom, epoxy coat and varnish the yard and mizzen mast, and varnish the sprit boom and boomkin.

I'll be heading off to our local hardwood and softwood suppliers Friday to pick up some sapele and spruce for the next project. Oars. I have some thoughts on a way to do something really nice for them.
    I swear I'm half done.

Quick update...

I've just completed 5 coats of varnish on the wood components, a long arduous haul given that I could only do 1/2 of each piece at a time. I tried several variations of hanging and suspending parts, none to my satisfaction, so 10 days of effort (plus extra days for honey-do's) were needed.

Here's the result:

Next I'll be on to final topside paint on the hollow box boom and the rudder head. After that I have some sapele that I'll be using to make a new cover piece for the DB trunk (I messed up the original with the router!). I'm still searching for a supplier that can get me spruce (preferably sitka) for the oar project, no luck so far locally.
    I swear I'm half done.

Nice work there Pete, the boat is looking great too. Watching with interest.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Nice work there Pete, the boat is looking great too. Watching with interest.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike!
    I swear I'm half done.

Looks great Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Looks great Pete!
    Thank you!
    I swear I'm half done.

Not a lot happening lately with the holidays. Even though we are social distancing, still lots of interaction with friends and family, wearing out the Zoom app.

But, the boom and rudder head are complete. I'm not thrilled with the finish on the boom - it was a hard piece to finish without runs and seams. But the end is pretty nice and besides, it's going to be used (and abused if you've seen my sailing skills )

(Placeholder for pic... I have just changed phones and realized the picture is still on my old phone, being kept hostage)

After an exhausting search for suitable spruce for oars at a reasonable price, I have finally found some, at the Home Depot of all places. They had select 2x3 that, when picked through, have a few decent usable sticks. I'm currently in the process of resawing and planing them to prep for blanks, will show them off in the next few days.

Everyone have a great holiday!
    I swear I'm half done.

Happy New Year everyone!

Here's the long promised pic of the finished boom.

Now on to the oars. As I mentioned previously, I located some Home Depot 2x3s in spruce that, when picked through, weren't too bad looking. So I grabbed 7 of them and have worked at a leisurely holiday pace so far. The only stock they had was 8 feet long and the oars I intend to make will be 9'2" finished size based on the beam of the CIY at the oarlock location. Scarfing will be involved, so why not make it pretty?

After planing, cleanup and laminating 2 together into a set of 2x2 blanks, I cut the scarfs and inserted a 3/8" thick piece of sapele as an accent piece.

After cleaning up the scarf and doing some initial shaping of the blanks, I cut the pieces to be used for the blade. Here's an example mock up.

I swear I'm half done.

Another closer look at the blade blanks.

A quick look at the scarf after cleanup as well.

The next step was to cut the top half of the blade profile on the bandsaw. I'm leaving the bottom of the blade as a blank to help locate it on the shaft for glue-up. I'll manually shape the blade after glue-up.

Next I cut the blade profile for rough width.

Next, I plan to shape the grips, while I can still easily clamp the shaft. Following that will be blade glue-up and initial shaping of the shaft and blades.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the way things are turning out. There are a couple of places on one oar shaft where the lamination wasn't perfect and left a slight void - which I will also be filling with epoxy at the same time as the glue up.

I'm approaching the shaping exercise with some trepidation. I don't own a draw knife (but I might borrow one...), which means that I have never used one. I am also not very competent with a spoke shave either - so shaping might be a slow process. You can't put it back once you take it off!

The end grain on the paddle will receive a slot and a matching tenon will be cut on some sapele to finish the blade end. Right now the plan is that will be around an inch wide.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 01-01-2021 at 11:36 AM.
    I swear I'm half done.

^ It really looks good so far, Pete !!

Rick

PANIC!!!!

Before we get to that, I was able to get a first pass on the grips completed. They are within .02" dimensionally, but still need a bit more sanding to feel "round". Close right now though.

Next it was time to attach the roughed out blades, here's where panic set in... I was using GelMagic, and had everything complete, clamped, and cleaned up

Looks good, yes? I had cleaned up the tools and was taking one last look at the handiwork before heading upstairs to start a good book when I realized that the left oar shaft was upside down. The scarf was running the wrong way. EEK! Fortunately the GelMagic had not started to do its magic (and if you recall some of the mayhem that ensued during planking this summer you know what I'm talking about) ...

So, we ripped everything apart, cleaned up as much as possible, flipped the left hand shaft to be the right-way-around and went through the process once again. The only minor snafu was that now that there was wet gelmagic left on the shaft (albeit a small amount), it made the inboard clamp slip and slide off, so a spring clamp was used to hold that area tight.

Next up: Shaping the blades and shafts, then prep for joinery on the blade ends.
    I swear I'm half done.

Boy, do I ever feel for you when you scream "PANIC"! I hate that feeling in the pit of your stomach! Glad you caught it in time. And I'm so like you too, looking ahead to shaping the oars, spar, tiller, etc. I'm ahead of you only in that I already bought a draw knife. Used it? No. Used my spoke-shave? No. Well, barely. All too often my learning curve resembles a cliff. But...I love your intentional scarf detail. It'll be interesting to see how it looks as you shave it down to final size. I have alternated fir and mahogany for my oars, though haven't begun to shape them as yet.

Lookin' good!
    Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    Boy, do I ever feel for you when you scream "PANIC"! I hate that feeling in the pit of your stomach! Glad you caught it in time. And I'm so like you too, looking ahead to shaping the oars, spar, tiller, etc. I'm ahead of you only in that I already bought a draw knife. Used it? No. Used my spoke-shave? No. Well, barely. All too often my learning curve resembles a cliff. But...I love your intentional scarf detail. It'll be interesting to see how it looks as you shave it down to final size. I have alternated fir and mahogany for my oars, though haven't begun to shape them as yet.

Lookin' good!
    Ken
    Thank you Ken! Yes PANIC had really set in. Of course a littany of four letter gems came spewing out when I realized what I had done. Fortunately the spousal unit was not within earshot.

I'm going to borrow a friend's draw knife, I was using the spoke shave today (see next post). It took quite awhile to dial in the spoke shave after I had sharpened the iron - but once I had it set it did a nice (but still slow) job.
    I swear I'm half done.

The work plods on.

I removed the clamps today to start working on the oar blades. I spent all day, and got 1 blade to be the general shape I intend to finish with. I'm hoping blade 2 is a little faster now that I have a better idea how to approach some of the tougher areas. I did some very rough material removal with the power planer, followed by the spoke shave and shinto rasp, and then some 80 grit to get to this point. blades are roughly 1/2" thick now, so I have more material to remove to get to the ideal 1/4".

Here's the two oars (with correct scarf direction!), left is the raw blank face, right is after initial shaping of the face.

... and then I moved on to the back side.

I'm going to try to (as best I can) duplicate what you see here on oar #2, then start the process of final thickness shaping along with making the slot and tenon (is it a tenon if it spans the entire length of the piece?) for the blade end.
    I swear I'm half done.

More likely to be called a tongue, as in tongue and groove.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Of course! Duh. That was a brain fart.
    I swear I'm half done.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Of course! Duh. That was a brain fart.
    I swear I'm half done.

Nice work, second one should go a little easier now that the spoke shave is ready to use. I'm afraid mine glued blank is on the back burner for now, as I just turned the boat at Christmas, and am anxious to get started on the interior. After, of course, the joy of removing epoxy remnants. Did you have a stencil, or shape to go off of?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    Nice work, second one should go a little easier now that the spoke shave is ready to use. I'm afraid mine glued blank is on the back burner for now, as I just turned the boat at Christmas, and am anxious to get started on the interior. After, of course, the joy of removing epoxy remnants. Did you have a stencil, or shape to go off of?

Ken
    Not really. I went off some shapes and dimensions I found on the internet, sort of melded together into what you see. The shaft shape and dimension came from RichW's excellent thread here on making spoon oars - adapted to my 9'2" length. The scarf idea was taken from an old whitewater kayak paddle I owned in the '80s, hand made by a local in New Hope PA. In the center of the spruce paddle was a scarf and he sandwiched some walnut into it, which was the inspiration for that detail.
    I swear I'm half done.

Onward.

The next task I tackled was to prepare the sapele paddle blade ends. I cut tongues on the ends of the blades, and a corresponding groove into my sapele pieces, then epoxied them onto the blade ends for later shaping. I wanted to perform this step now so that the epoxy would have several days to cure while I work on shaping the shafts.

Next I moved on to the shafts. I finally relented and borrowed my friend's draw knife to make quicker work of the initial shaping. After a few minor faux pas - which include one small gouge I will have to epoxy fill (but it will be under the leathers! - ah the luck of the Swedish!) I moved on to doing some more detailed shaping.

Of course I wanted to get a sneak peak at the scarf detail first.

Yes, the floor is an absolute mess! But the draw knife was the right tool to make things happen for sure.
    I swear I'm half done.

Continuing with the shaft work, I completed the first blade with primary shaping. I'm really happy with the result. Photos show the unshaped second oar for comparison.

... and the floor is still a mess! Time for some cleanup before starting the shaft on oar 2.
    I swear I'm half done.

Well these oars are certainly getting finished at a snail's pace...

But hey, it's winter, so I'm all about taking my time.

Next I finished shaping the second oar shaft.

and then shaped the blade ends and blades.

Now I'm at the point where I'm going to fine-tune the blades to ensure they are the same size and thickness, and do the same with the shafts (at least at close as I can get them) - then move on to sanding. Boy there's going to be a lot of sanding! The two oars are fairly close dimensionally already, but a little extra tuning can't hurt, right?

Once that is complete a paracord rim will be put around each blade, into a trough I still have to cut, and 6oz fiberglass for the blade front and back faces. I really have to do this step because the lake the boat will see the most time on is incredibly rocky at the shoreline so that should help with longevity of the blades.

Finish will be spar varnish with the exception of the handles, which will get a (to be determined) oil finish of some type.

Last step will be leathers (another first time thing for me).
    I swear I'm half done.

Pete, following your thread closely. I'm just on the verge of committing to build a CIY 16. Your oars are looking great. I'm looking for some guidance on picking those 2x3's out of the stack. Went by my local Lowes last night and took this pic of the pile. I assume you'd look for those with few if any knots. Thoughts? Suggestions?

grain.jpg
    Last edited by dalekidd; 01-27-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Hey Dale.

You will love the CIY 16 build experience. I can't say enough good things about the completeness of Clint's kits, and his support is totally awesome. As a first time builder I approached the project with a LOT of trepidation, but things have gone quite well. Since I purchased mine there are a whole slew of new options available, like CNC cut foils - which can save a ton of time.

You're on the money with the 2x3s. Here's my criteria in order of importance:

1) STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT. Don't accept any bow or twist in any direction. Even with this, you'll find that as you rip sections that you'll get slight bowing that you'll have to plane out... So leave extra material where you can as a starting point.

2) No knots. Well almost - you will probably have to accept a couple of small knots when using HD/Lowes stock - but as long as they are tight and not too big you'll be OK.

3) Straight grain. The less wander the better, and the tighter the grain the better - but those are pretty lofty goals for 2x3s, so get as close as you can.

If you intend to scarf sections together to get the length you want (Like I did), you can work around knotty areas and any areas where the grain gets a little wild. Grab an extra piece or 2 over what you think you need (it is relatively cheap stuff after all!), because as you rip and prep your stock there may be some hidden "gems" you will want to avoid.

Good Luck! Right now I'm doing the finishing on the oar set. I ran into a bit of an issue with the rope edging I used, I'll post up on that debacle in a day or two.
    I swear I'm half done.

Thanks for quick response! I'll be building from plans so that'll be fun.

Re grain, I found a couple pics.

Six General grains.jpg
    75-759206_wooden-log-png-straight-on-wood-grain-cathedral.jpg
    In looking at your oars as follows:
    Pete's oars.jpg
    your 2x3's appears to be riftsawn and the grain looks pretty straight though not particulary tight. Am I seeing this right? Would center cut or quarter sawn be preferred or does straight trump that? Several pieces in the stack I pictured above are center-cut. Most seem to be mixed (according to the nomenclature in the photo). The grain seems pretty tight in most all of the pieces. I guess I need to pull the pieces and see how the lines run on the surface. Thoughts?