Thread: Refinishing Washboards,

Default Refinishing Washboards,

I’ve stripped the varnish off my washboards and there are some black marks (I guess water marks) left in some spots where the varnish had peeled.

Is there anyway to get rid of them?
    I’m not all that fussed if they won’t come out, I do think they show a little charm and the boats age (it’s a 1950 H28 ketch).
    It also goes with the not very straight edges....

Also I had thought that all 3 sections of the washboards (third ones not sanded as yet) where the same wood but the bottom section isn’t changing colour like the top one after a similar amount of sanding.

I believe the top one is Queensland maple, so not sure what the bottom one is.

They both actually looked the same before I started stripping and sanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Refinishing Washboards,

Oxcolic acid should remove those stains just fine! It may take several applications though. You may have to use a colored oil based compound to fill the cracks after bleaching. We use a mason jar and add Oxalic in powder form until it will take no more acid in solution, in order to get maximum saturation. Never add water to acid no matter what as it can cause all manner of nasty problems! Brush the solution over the entire surface to be bleached and place the work in direct sunlight. If needed do subsequent coats. Rinse with hot water several times and allow the wood to thoroughly dry. If you desire a color that is consistent, after drying, it can be stained using a, pigmented, filler stain, such as made by Interlux, which should be applied over the wood which has been primed, first, with a thin coat of clear lacquer or thin white shellac. The primer is needed t create consistency of absorption in order to avoid having areas that are dark and others that are light. Once the primer is dry, fill the cracks with oil based compound that will match the planned stain. coat the wood with one coat of filler stain that has been thinned to brushing consistency, wait for it to turn a bit hazy and wipe it off with burlap or clean Terry cloth. Ollow this to dry overnight and then proceed to apply eight coats of spar varnish of your choice. Be sure the first coat is thinned with turpentine in order to obtain pentration and grip. The first two or three coats of varnish can be hot coated if weather permits. Be sure to apply a total of eight coats as less will soon fail and more can end up blistering due to the work being varnish sick.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.