Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Default Re: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Lake Lothing is on the salt water side and thus governed by ABP (not BA). They will only attend to sunken vessels if navigation is being affected and unfortunately environmental issues don't affect navigation! The other once beautiful boats (now wrecks) on the 'lake' disintegrate more every day but also don't necessarily affect navigation (except when large chunks break off).

Environmental issues are certainly a priority in the UK but removing sunken wrecks costs a lot of money and money seems to be the driving force behind large corporations. I fear the small boatyard, where Scarlett Thread is based, is now left 'holding the baby' but hopefully they can keep the vessel afloat for the time being until a longer term solution can be found.

It's just sad that another lovely boat will disintegrate through lack of 'love' but I guess there are thousands of them around the UK and Worldwide.

Oh, in fairness to ABP, they did mobilise a crew to clean up after the first sinking (deb r had cleared out the hull but left it all on the deck!) but years of oil / grease must presumably remain in the hull.

I guess the small boatyard received their bill and, if they only earned £140pm from the vessel, will already be seriously 'out of pocket'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony448844 View Post

It's just sad that another lovely boat will disintegrate through lack of 'love' but I guess there are thousands of them around the UK and Worldwide.
    MFVs of that type are nailed together with galvanized mild steel cut boat nails. After 50 or so years the galvanizing is gone, the nails are rusting, and the rust is making the planking nail sick, so the boat needs renailed and may need some plank replaced. That may make any refit uneconomical.
    The best option for the boatyard might be to drag her up a beach and break her up for firewood.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    MFVs of that type are nailed together with galvanized mild steel cut boat nails. After 50 or so years the galvanizing is gone, the nails are rusting, and the rust is making the planking nail sick, so the boat needs renailed and may need some plank replaced. That may make any refit uneconomical.
    The best option for the boatyard might be to drag her up a beach and break her up for firewood.
    As much as it pains me to think of it, you're probably right.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

On these old boats, esp the fishing boats, built with a short life expectancy. They look very attractive to buy, but are past their useful life. Even getting her back to a safe floatable live-a-bord is only possible with a lot of sweat, along with money, a lot. If of real historical interest, people might gather round to a well formed trust. This boat is well short of that.

The previous post is absolutely on the button.A retired fishing boat is a bit like a horse tied up outside a glue factory-a bit of cosmetic trifling won't make it new again.I discounted the firewood possibility on the basis that lots of older working boats were creosoted in parts and the other old paint may have contained lead and similar nasties.I have known a marina owner to use the fire option to get rid of an eyesore or two with substantial outstanding fees as he hoped to recoup a little by sweeping up the copper and bronze scrap.They were simpler times.

Third time sunk (today!) in two months! It's so sad to see any boat in such a 'predicament'.

Even the "fire option" may be impossible for the boatyard as she'll probably take a lot of drying out / petrol ((.

Sunk Nov21.jpg

That is sad sight. I believe it's time for that boat to go, I hate to say and see that.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

It's easy to blame the OP and her partner for this outcome, but the truth is that they are just victims of their own enthusiasm and inexperience. The person who sold the boat to them is the one who should bear the responsibility for dealing with this mess. It's a cowardly thing to get rid of your problem by passing it on to someone who doesn't know any better.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by deb r View Post
    She is in Oulton Broad near Lowestoft
    In that case, OP should contact Peter Duck, he could help them plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    It's easy to blame the OP and her partner for this outcome, but the truth is that they are just victims of their own enthusiasm and inexperience. The person who sold the boat to them is the one who should bear the responsibility for dealing with this mess. It's a cowardly thing to get rid of your problem by passing it on to someone who doesn't know any better.
    The fact that they walked away from it and left the Marina owners to clear up after their naive mistake, compounded by the fact that they were given sound advice that they may well have ignored, lessens any sympathy that I feel for them.

Caveat Emptor always applies.

The fact that they walked away from it and left the Marina owners to clear up after their naive mistake, compounded by the fact that they were given sound advice that they may well have ignored, lessens any sympathy that I feel for them.

Caveat Emptor always applies.
    True, and I agree to an extent, but also there is a point where information asymmetry isn't just a transaction advantage, but a scam. I'm not saying that the OP should be absolved of their responsibility to do the right thing here, just that their failure was one of naivete while the person who sold them the boat was actively malicious. Caveat emptor for sure, but also bad karma to anyone who would take advantage of a buyer in that way.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Also, there is a lesson here for all the people who would encourage this sort of restoration. Failure has real and potentially life-altering consequences. There tends to be a lot of finger shaking at those who attempt to dissuade people from taking on these projects, but those cautions are well meant and almost always accurate.
    - Chris

I don't doubt the former owners 'rubbed their hands with absolute glee' when they sold it to a naive and unsuspecting buyer so perhaps bad karma will be on its way to them. However, surely it's always wise to get a survey when buying any boat (especially a 60ft wrecked MFV!) and a relatively minor expense.

If estimates of £200,000 were placed on the conversion (according to previous posts), a few hundred pounds for a survey is a 'drop in the ocean'. Pun intended as the boat is much more than a drop in the ocean now . . . . . . the boat yard seems to be struggling to re-float it!

All in all it's still a very sad situation and certainly a lesson for all of those who were involved!

I don't doubt the former owners 'rubbed their hands with absolute glee' when they sold it to a naive and unsuspecting buyer so perhaps bad karma will be on its way to them. However, surely it's always wise to get a survey when buying any boat (especially a 60ft wrecked MFV!) and a relatively minor expense.

If estimates of £200,000 were placed on the conversion (according to previous posts), a few hundred pounds for a survey is a 'drop in the ocean'. Pun intended as the boat is much more than a drop in the ocean now . . . . . . the boat yard seems to be struggling to re-float it!

All in all it's still a very sad situation and certainly a lesson for all of those who were involved!
    Deb was advised to slip her and get her surveyed early doors. Did she, or was our advice ignored?

Have her surveyed. Find a yard that can slip her where you can set up power tools and a steam chest.

Deb was advised to slip her and get her surveyed early doors. Did she, or was our advice ignored?
    We are in agreement and I'm not arguing that point at all Nick. You are (and were) right. Deb did a lot of things wrong, ignored good advice, and apparently went off elsewhere looking for comfort rather than taking the cold dose of reality that we offered, and that she badly needed. As so many other people have done before her and I'm sure will do again. She go in over her head and instead of owning up to her mistake and taking responsibility for making things right she walked off and left her mess for someone else to clean up. Shame on her for that.

But from her original post it sounded like the deal was done before she came here asking for advice so it would not have made much of a difference. The survey would only have confirmed what we were telling her - that Scarlet Thread needs tens of thousands of pounds in real money just to stabilize her, much less make her into a liveaboard, even as a static barge. The seller took advantage of Deb's inexperience to get rid of an expensive problem rather than dealing with it themselves, and to me that is the worse act because it had to have been done in the full knowledge that Scarlet Thread is as near to a hopeless project as they come.
    - Chris

The only thing that we do know about the people who sold the boat to Deb is

that we know absolutely nothing about the people who sold the boat to Deb.

The only thing that we do know about the people who sold the boat to Deb is

that we know absolutely nothing about the people who sold the boat to Deb.
    Very true. They might have just decided that is was beyond them and sold it on to someone who could have revived her. Who knows?
    Deb's walking away from it, was probably desperation on realizing what they had bought. Not admirable, but looking at a huge financial hole, sort of understandable.

I have rebuilt quite a few things that others and even the experts have declared to be beyond rebuild.

It is impossible to be certain what capabilities and resources another person has. Therefore none of us could (or should) have been absolutely certain that this boat was too large an undertaking for Deb. We could only speculate about probabilities. This time the probable outcome turned out to happen exactly as predicted........ but one can never be more than approximately 98% certain. Which in turn means that out of 50 random Debs with an interest in woodwork and old boats 49 of them would fail and one succeed.

-In my opinion the seller should have told Deb that the probabilities were against her.
    -In my opinion Deb should have done her homework and either not bought the boat at all or figured out beforehand some sort of plan for how to finance and carry out the job.
    -There may even have been some third and fourth and fifth persons involved who either spoke more than they knew or did not dare to tell Deb that her resources were insufficient.
    None of them did what they should have done.
    I blame them all as a collective and think they all should get together to a Finnish style talko and together get that wreck afloat and taken care of.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

I blame them all as a collective and think they all should get together to a Finnish style talko and together get that wreck afloat and taken care of.

Best answer yet. Plenty of responsibility to go around in this mess.
    - Chris

I do wonder whether the comparatively recent addition to the rans of forumites might have made the acquaintance of some of the former owners.One thing that shines out is that the boat in question will need to be dealt with in some way or left to decompose and perhaps add nasties to the environment.

"The only thing that we do know about the people who sold the boat to Deb is that we know absolutely nothing about the people who sold the boat to Deb."

Wise words!

I do wonder if a particular "senior member" has a vested interest in this matter and is using the forum to ply for business .

I do wonder if a particular "senior member" has a vested interest in this matter and is using the forum to ply for business .

Care to elaborate on that?

"The only thing that we do know about the people who sold the boat to Deb is that we know absolutely nothing about the people who sold the boat to Deb."

Wise words!

What’s your story Tony? Seven posts on this forum and all on this thread, your first post being the revival of the thread after two and a bit years. Yet you suggest that someone else who has been here much longer (a" senior member”) has the vested interest...???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Just someone who has a vested interest in ecology / Lake Lothing and genuinely (but naively) thought other members might like to know that their advice to "deb r" was spot on!

Flippant and uneducated comments about "comparatively recent addition to the rans of forumites" having "made the acquaintance of some of the former owners" deserve similar responses about "senior members" possibly touting for work to dispose of the boat! Perhaps I hit a 'raw nerve' lol.

Educated people will know about making assumptions . . . . "ass" out of "u" and "me". Peeerie Maa is wise but perhaps not everyone here shares such wisdom and takes offence at everything!

Over a week to think up a response and no constructive suggestion as to how to deal with the wreckage.

The only constructive suggestion I have is to close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Brown View Post

I agree. I feel we're being trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Brown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I agree. I feel we're being trolled.
    The only person who can close this thread disappeared in a huff a couple of years ago. It ain't going to happen.
    Just stop pumping posts and let it sink like the derelict that it discusses.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Over a week to think up a response and no constructive suggestion as to how to deal with the wreckage.
    Some people have a life to live outside this forum.