Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Default Re: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Hi yes am still here not going anywhere got a few people to prove wrong hehehe

It's not that the negativity is bad, it's relentless! Welcome back!
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Thank you we will enjoy her

She won't sink as she's not in deep enough water to float the marina is not deep enough so that's not a problem also we wouldn't be taking her anywhere as she will be a house boat nothing more

Thank you very helpful and they sound like our kind of people mad project no budget bring it on

Have fun. Carry on. Cleaning her out? Designing an interior? Thinking about hatch coverings and watertight deck?

Deb, everyone's "chomping at the bit" for pictures, hope you can accommodate them at some point!

Hi thanks yes cleaning her out first job covered her with a giant tarp now that was fun and definitely one for you've been framed got to pump out all rain water and dry her out then start looking at what wood needs replacing been recommended a poxy resin that even makes wood rotted to dust like concrete so probably have shares in the company by the time we are done i suggested dipping her in it just to be sure husband didn't think that was practical probably right as for interior I'd got that worked out before the ink was dry on the receipt rolling eyes from husband again we have decided to turn her into a turtle back so the deck has got to come up to raise the ceiling hight that was husbands idea so no rolling eyes this time it might take us 5 years plus to do everything we want but what's the rush it will be for our son and he's only 11 so plenty of time

Take the penetrating epoxy claims with more than a grain of salt. Wood is likely cheaper besides being more reliable.

Rot is like a cancer. The soft destroyed wood is what is left behind when it is all done. The leading edge of the fungus is way out ahead in seemingly sound wood. Just gooping the soft spots in epoxy will do nothing to stop the fungus spreading, as you cannot get the epoxy to the interior of the still-solid sections that are infested. It will happily spread along the interior of any "sealed" pieces.

For a repair that will last more than a few years, remove the rotten wood including a healthy margin of the nearby sound wood as well.

If you make the boat a "turtleback" you are pretty much guaranteeing that she will never go to sea again even under future owners, as well as destroying any value of the boat as a historic preservation and the classic good looks that presumably lead you to a wooden boat in the first place. Maybe that is okay, if the boat is really beyond repair anyway, but it is something for you to consider.

I'd suggest get a new deck on her. Whatever timber from the nearest hardware or timber store will serve your purpose. Exterior building ply. And fibreglass. I've read somewhere here that garage floor epocy is just as good as boat building epoxy. Or use polyester. Cheap and quick. Whatever, keep the rain out and life will improve a lot.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deb r View Post
    She won't sink as she's not in deep enough water to float the marina is not deep enough so that's not a problem also we wouldn't be taking her anywhere as she will be a house boat nothing more
    I think the title of your post lead people to believe you wanted to bring the boat back to a usable condition as a boat, "help restoring an old fishing boat" since you're converting a hulk sitting in the mud to a house many comments are not germane to the actual project. If the boat doesn't ever need to be moved I wouldn't approach the project as a boat, more akin to a dock.
    Last edited by navydog; 09-04-2019 at 04:27 PM.

I'd like to reiterate my request for punctuation and, if it's not too much to ask, capitalization. I simply cannot follow your stream of consciousness writing style. I get lost in it without understanding. Lawrence Ferlinghetti pulled it off, but at least he used line breaks.

Writing more clearly will bring you a larger audience. There is certainly interest here in your project. Capitalize on it! [Pun intended!]

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by guillemot View Post
    I'd like to reiterate my request for punctuation and, if it's not too much to ask, capitalization. I simply cannot follow your stream of consciousness writing style. I get lost in it without understanding. Lawrence Ferlinghetti pulled it off, but at least he used line breaks.

Writing more clearly will bring you a larger audience. There is certainly interest here in your project. Capitalize on it! [Pun intended!]

Jeff
    Well at least Deb has a good spell checker.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I guess turtle back means the original wheelhouse and other deck structures are long gone.. shame..

Well, my idea may not go over well. I almost ended up in a similar situation with a 35-foot boat. It has conventional planking. My idea was to haul her out. Allow her to dry. Fix all the internal structure. Then fiberglass and epoxy the entire hull and keel. Then rebuild the superstructure and interior back the way that I wanted it.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Turtleback? Not sure what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Turtleback? Not sure what that is.
    I'm assuming Deb means to add a shelter deck. And if the boat is going to be turned into a floating house barge I think that opens the door to any number of interesting and creative approaches to rebuilding her. We all like to see wooden boats restored to seaworthy condition using techniques appropriate to the original design but given the end goal there is little reason to do here. Remove the rotten wood of course. Use quality wood when rebuilding since it's still a marine environment and house lumber won't last long. And personally I think it would be nice to see the end result be somewhat sympathetic to the original vessel (no garden sheds stuck on top) but that's an aesthetic choice and Deb may have other ideas there. But beyond that I say bring on the epoxy, plywood, fiberglass, 5200 and anything else that will glue her back together and keep her floating.

Just my opinion however. Others may reasonably differ. However I will offer this example of what not to do...

Tempest was a lovely little gillnetter only a few years before these photos were taken. Then someone built a shed on top. Makes me sad every time I look at it.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by guillemot View Post

Jeff
    I am not great at punctuation, capitalization or gammer. I have grandkids between 15 and 3 years of age. Their #1 form of communication is via text and social media.

I have adapted to their way of communication just so i have communication with them.
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

I think the first objective has to be how to stabilize the hull so it will not collapse under the weight of a new deck and super structure. As more years go by everything below deck will eventually deform without attention. It would be a shame to build a living space that over time sags and becomes unlivable.

Deb is now on Facebook converted fishing boats. It's very much UK oriented even the English is different from Americanese lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Deb is now on Facebook converted fishing boats. It's very much UK oriented even the English is different from Americanese lol
    I saw her first post. She does not like our way of offering advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I saw her first post. She does not like our way of offering advice.
    Seems to be a theme.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Seems to be a theme.
    Eppo' s lobster Boat conversion thread is locked too.

As the forum turns ...

Still not clear on "turtleback".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Still not clear on "turtleback".
    It is a full-width deckhouse from stem to stern, often with a round edge between the deckhouse top and sides.

Hi there Oldad, I think this is what the Englander's refer to as a "turtleback"turtleback trawler.jpg

UPDATE - OCTOBER2021

Deb r abandonedScarlett Thread later in 2019 and the 'pipedream' to convert it into a comfortable liveaboard(but working on occasional weekends only). The vessel has recently sunk twice in considerably more than 4ft ofwater! Pictures are available.

The moral of thisstory is certainly 'caveat emptor' but also to listen to the "cynics"on forums (as they know what they are talking about) and do the honourablething ie don't simply abandon a boat but deal with it responsibly. It causes quite horrific pollution every timeshe sinks but is easily re-floated.

Does anyone withVERY deep pockets and lots of spare time want to buy a good looking fishingboat (hull only) still with great potential?

PS I'm nothing to dowith the boatyard where the boat is based!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony448844 View Post
    UPDATE - OCTOBER2021

Deb r abandonedScarlett Thread later in 2019 and the 'pipedream' to convert it into a comfortable liveaboard(but working on occasional weekends only). The vessel has recently sunk twice in considerably more than 4ft ofwater! Pictures are available.

The moral of thisstory is certainly 'caveat emptor' but also to listen to the "cynics"on forums (as they know what they are talking about) and do the honourablething ie don't simply abandon a boat but deal with it responsibly. It causes quite horrific pollution every timeshe sinks but is easily re-floated.

Does anyone withVERY deep pockets and lots of spare time want to buy a good looking fishingboat (hull only) still with great potential?

PS I'm nothing to dowith the boatyard where the boat is based!!
    I'm sorry to hear that but it's not unexpected. Major boat restorations by inexperienced dreamers fail far more often than otherwise, judging from the ones that come through here. And not to be entirely cynical, but I'd venture that the failure rate for people who can't take the experienced advice available here, and who go off to other forums in search of more comfortable news, is right at 100%.
    - Chris

I completely agree and just thought some of the people in the thread would, in a small way, be reassured by my update to know that they weren't "cynics" but realists and offering good advice!

Many years ago I was also an "inexperienced dreamer" whose first boat was a 70ft steel tugboat. I successfully converted her into a wonderful liveaboard over a four year period but was terrified to start the enormous engine (or even the chain of smaller compressors before getting to the main engine). I sold her at a massive loss but enjoyed the benefit of all my hard work for four years!

However, I didn't abandon it and cause massive pollution so some inexperienced dreamers can also be irresponsible dreamers. I wonder what deb r was told on the Facebook site and perhaps that was the eventual cause of her decision to walk away!

It's good to dream but better to be a realistic dreamer who listens to great advice from forums such as this.

Oh dear.I am saddened,but not surprised by the outcome.Hopes and dreams can only get some of the work done.

I thought the UK was pretty strict with sunken vessels. I've seen and heard many stories of boats being pulled and cut up soon after sinking because of the environmental consequences. Have I been misled?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Oulton Broad I believe comes under the Broads Authority regulation area.. They will make all efforts to contact the owner, to remove / stop the boat from sinking. if this does not take place BA will remove the boat and if they can find the owner present the Bill. BA are however renown for taking a long time to act..
    Oh if it's floating in the broads (and not in a Boatyard undergoing work ) then they want Broads tax off you as well that with mooring fees won't leave you anything out of 2000 a year..
    Last edited by The Q; 11-01-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

If I recall correctly,it was on the Lake Lothing side of Mutford lock.No idea who has to bear the cost of clearing the mess up and I doubt there is enough of value left in the former fishing boat to generate any amount to donate to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    If I recall correctly,it was on the Lake Lothing side of Mutford lock.No idea who has to bear the cost of clearing the mess up and I doubt there is enough of value left in the former fishing boat to generate any amount to donate to the cause.
    I dare say that Lake Lothing is "chock-full" of rotting hulks. Well, according to Google Maps, at least 4. So as long as she is not a hazard to navigation they may just leave her there. If they decide to pursue Deb r it may bankrupt herself and her partner.