Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Default help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

Hi we have just bought anew old wooden fishing boat that needs a major restoration she's in the water at moment to my knowledge never been out of water we where thinking of taking her out any thoughts plus any advice on anything to do with restoring a wooden boat would be very very much appreciated thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deb r; 08-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Default Re: help restoring an old fishing boat in the uk

The very first thing folks on the forum will ask you to do, is post pictures of your project. We love pictures. They are worth a thousand words.
    After you post pics, the advice will roll in. Welcome.

But, let me start without the pics. Clean it out. Get rid of any rubbish. Save anything that might be useful in the restoration. That would be a good place to start.

Not really knowledgeable of your area over there but, the first thing that seems to come up is who where and how she's going to be taken out and stored while you work on her is this one of those canal boats?

I used Tapatalk for posting photos don't even need to use my desktop for that it's a free download
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

You bought a 50 ft boat in need of a total rebuild without any idea what you are doing?

You are in for quite the experience. There is nothing that can't be done, but I hope you have some cash laying around!

First up, she has definitely been out of the water before. Bottom paint only lasts a year or three, and she has been put up on the ways or beached or hauled out at that frequency for her entire life.

If you do haul her out, note that the planks will start to dry and open up. Try to minimize this by putting a shade over the boat, or keeping the ground under it wet. If you are going to be out for a long while doing major work, it will dry out and that is okay. Plan on major leaking when you put it back in.

What work needs to be done? Is there rot? Is there leaks? Is there iron-sickness? Looks like all three from the small pic.

We need more info. What are your goals, and what problems are immediately apparent?

You'll need to find out if all those rusting fasteners are still sound. Dig out the putty or bungs and scrape at the rusted fastener. If it is all wasted away, you have an issue. If the head is still mostly there chuck up a short length of cable in your drill and polish the head. Spray some osphoric acid on it (available at your hardware store) when dry fill the hole with thickened epoxy. Applying a zinc paint before the epoxy is also be a good idea.

Do that to every place leaking rust. This will be a job that you do every year for the rest of the time you have the boat as new fasteners start bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    But, let me start without the pics. Clean it out. Get rid of any rubbish. Save anything that might be useful in the restoration. That would be a good place to start.
    Then hire a good wood boat surveyor to go over her.
    Where is she lying?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi thanks there are a fair amount of planks on the sides that are rotten but seems OK under the water doesn't appear to leak she has been beached twice apparently once on the Norfolk broads and on a actual beach as I've just been doing some research into her past and after putting her name and number in a picture of her on the beach with a lot of people talking about her past and believeing that was the end of her that was in 2000 have been trying to join the forum that the photo was on so I can contact them and say she is still around as for what we want to do to her our end goal is to turn her into a live aboard she will not be going back to sea.

She is in Oulton Broad near Lowestoft

Quote Originally Posted by deb r View Post
    Hi we have just bought anew old wooden fishing boat that needs a major restoration she's in the water at moment to my knowledge never been out of water we where thinking of taking her out any thoughts plus any advice on anything to do with restoring a wooden boat would be very very much appreciated thanks
    I will be blunt deb r.. That is a big project. The rust streaks on the hull indicate iron fastenings that might need renewing. So, what are your intentions? It is not going to be a cheap live-aboard. Do you have a connection that makes it important?
    If you dig around on this site, you will find quite a few cases to look at. Lupersonic is one that is coming to fruition after a bunch of hard work. Others are on the ybw forums. Fishing boats were built with a limited life span.. extending that can be life consuming, not to mention money pits. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.
    A2

Hi thanks there are a fair amount of planks on the sides that are rotten.
    Have her surveyed. Find a yard that can slip her where you can set up power tools and a steam chest.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Not to be rude, but could you be convinced to please try to punctuate your sentences. It will make it much easier to follow your writing.
    Best wishes,
    Jeff

Last edited by jeffcapeshop; 08-29-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Oh boy. Whoever you bought that from is down at the pub feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders...

I hope that pump came with the sale.

Wow.

For an experienced and capable woodworker with a mountain of money it would be a substantial project.For anybody else its a money pit.Unless there is a compelling case to dive into several years of heavy and dirty work-give it away to a daydreaming romantic.

Harsh?Maybe but a few weeks ago we had a couple asking similar questions about a good sized boat near the lake district.They asked similarly vague questions and received some advice.Haven't been back since so we draw our own conclusions.

Could it be restored?Yes-think 600,000 or so and then contemplate buying some hardware and navigation electronics if you plan to go anywhere.

Didn't we do this 3 or 4 weeks ago?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by j.madison View Post
    oh boy. Whoever you bought that from is down at the pub feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders...

I hope that pump came with the sale.
    lol
    Last edited by ofersaul; 08-29-2019 at 04:48 PM.

... as for what we want to do to her our end goal is to turn her into a live aboard she will not be going back to sea.
    You're better off finding a fisherman who is retiring and buying a boat that's currently working. Sell/scrap the fishing gear, and convert the hold in to quarters. Its a tried and tested method, and you'll be years and thousands of pounds ahead of this hole in the water that's waiting to fill itself.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Of course,assuming she is not leaking, you could seal the deck, build covers over the hatches and then build you home inside, hoping that she didn't sink under you soon, ruining everything you have inside. On the other hand, I suggest you watch the sampsonboat.co.uk videos of what it is taking Leo to rebuild Tally Ho, a boat that was in better shape than yours to start. That should give you a sense of the immensity of the task needed to do a proper job to make this hull a safe dwelling.

May I be so bold as to politely ask what a 65 feet stripped out wooden hulk costs this day?

You mention 'as a live aboard'...not going to sea. Surely, in that case get it onto dry land/hard standing; permanently. Clean it, paint it, turn it into a home. That's the cheapest option. ( think Aunt Peggoty out of Dickens David Copperfield, and the up-turned boat as a home) ?......but I'm not suggesting you turn it upside down !
    Where ever you park it, might need some sort of planning permission, unless you find a hard standing berth at a wharf. etc. Not cheap. You ought to have checked all this out before you parted with cash.....hope you didn't pay much.....because to scrap it will cost you about 5 thousand. You cannot just burn a wooden boat these days....not legally anyway....not in England. It has to be broken up and buried at a land-fill.
    If you want to keep the hull afloat, that's a whole different plan. To keep that hull watertight for any length of time, will take a great deal of work....and that's before you start the refit. Put simply, a massive project, requiring substantial funding.. There should be any number of people where she is now, well capable of giving you basic advice, but if you do intend to keep her in the water, you need a surveyor first, and PDQ. Choose one that speaks wooden boat, not plastic. A good surveyor will want to see her out of the water anyway...he can't survey what he can't see, but would offer an opinion.
    I have just embarked on a similar crusade, so just bought the tee-shirt, and the survey. Mine will be used on rivers/coastal, and there are no short cuts. I know what I'm in for.
    Congratulations on wanting to save an old wooden boat, anyway.

I can safely assure you that you are in for one hell of a job!

There are people who have successfully rebuilt boats like that on their own without any previous boatbuiding experience but unfortunately there areat least 10 failiours to every success story.
    I realy like the hull shape and think the deserves a new life but please think through everything before you start!
    It is better to abandona mammoth project in time and move on to save another boat which is smaller or in better condition than it is to sink your life's savings into the mammoth project and go broke halfways and then see the boat and all your savings being cut up for firewood anyway.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Deb, who is we? Unless you are a multi millionaire it would be prudent to go back to the seller and demand your money back. A experienced 4 to 6 man crew working everyday 8 hours would take at least a year to make that boat safe to use. Not restored, just usable. That's over 12,000 hours of hard labor.

Staple chicken wire all over and plaster it with mortar. Good to go.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Hate to jump on the bandwagon here, but yeah - that boat is a million dollar (or pound) project. Even just to turn her into a livable static barge, assuming that you can find somewhere to moor such a thing, will take tens of thousands of dollars, possibly hundreds of thousands. I doubt you can haul her out and do even the most critical work for under $20k, even doing the work yourself, if yard costs over there are anything like they are here.

Not to say that it cannot be done. You should read "More Faster Backwards" about a couple who bought a similarly-sized boat, restored her, and are now running cruises to Alaska with her.

https://www.amazon.com/More-Faster-B.../dp/0615540899

It's a good read and a really good intro to what you will be facing if you go ahead with your plans. It will either be daunting or inspiring. If the former then I would say you need to cut your losses in any way you can (not that it will be easy). If the latter then well, sure. Gather your tools (you do have tools?) and dive in. You can only lose your time, money, sanity, relationship and limbs.

And for what it's worth, I'll add my own story to the list of things you should read:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...and-redemption
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Thank you so much I think your the first person to put a positive spin on this we where so exited when we got her yes we alreadyou new it was going to be a big project but after reading all the comments from the negative nellies was feeling absolutely distraught you have made me positive again thank you so much could hug you

Worthy boat though, even if she is very, very far gone. Here's a photo of her in better days:

(from http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/s...hp?photo=57489)

LH.423 Scarlet Thread.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

A very fine boat indeed.

I think many of us are actually cheering for you with all our might despite our negativity. It is just that you have the odds against you.

I have mysel carried out quite a few projects against all odds (outside the world of boats) so I know fully well that seemingly impossible things can be done very successfully with the right mindset and the ability to scrounge and make and reuse and utilize resources outside the common consumerist range. However I also know what it takes in time and perseverence and sleepless nights. Therefore I tend to seem negative because I want to make sure that you are up to the challenge ahead.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Could be incredible Deb, the negatory comments really do hurt a new poster here, but they're well based in the reality of what you're about to sink into (no pun).

Is it possible the wheel house deck-side parts and pieces, masts & rigging are in storage somewhere???

I sincerely hope so!

Patiently waiting to see more pictures!

Chris that is really her in her former glory? wow just wow!
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Negative and realistic are slightly different things.Cost of a mooring,either freehold or rented annually?Cost of insurance?Location makes a difference and moving the other side of that bridge brings you into the area controlled by the Broads Authority,a body not known for happily receiving liveaboards and who will expect a toll based on the area of lengthXbeam.It also means having to comply with the boat safety scheme.While the epic rebuild takes place you will need somewhere to live and a damp East Anglian winter isn't a whole lot of fun in a boatyard.

Having access to a few dozen trees and a portable sawmill is a great bonus.Be assured that if the planks are rotten the likelihood is that the frames will have a share of it,You may be lucky and have sound deckbeams and clamps-or not.Wrestling big pieces into place isn't easy and can be dangerous,then comes the joy of driving large fastenings which happen also to be quite expensive by the hundredweight.None of which is impossible,it just gets bit more challenging if you have to earn the money to buy the stuff while trying to learn boat restoration.

Yep seen that one and the one of her beached I just want to know who the hell painted her PINK (they need a slap)been on loads of websites looking for info on her I know where she was built and she went abroad for a few years

Thank you so much I think your the first person to put a positive spin on this we where so exited when we got her yes we alreadyou new it was going to be a big project but after reading all the comments from the negative nellies was feeling absolutely distraught you have made me positive again thank you so much could hug you
    If this reply was to my post, I hope I have not been over encouraging. The negative posts are 100% correct. If you do not have experience working on large boats you are going to face challenges you cannot imagine right now, no matter how large a project you may be anticipating. That's just reality. But people do difficult things all the time. Success is going to come down to how well you and your partner deal with seemingly insurmountable problems and that is something only you know.

And as you may have gathered, this is not a new topic around here. We do see projects like yours come along every few weeks. They are universally met with the same sort of comments because everyone here has seen what happens when someone gets in over their head on a restoration. I've been there myself and I know that it can be a devastating thing to spend years and hundreds of thousands of dollars only to realize that you will never complete the project.

But to the positive, on this forum you have access to experts, both professional and amateur, who can guide you through every possible challenge. If they are advising against the project they have good reason for doing so. But if you go ahead with it, and you put real effort into learning how to restore your boat well, then this forum will be an enormous resource for you. No one here is negative just for the sake of taking the newbies down a peg. You will find a community here that loves wooden boats and wants projects like yours to succeed. We all want to see old boats brought back to life. We just know how hard that can be to accomplish and we don't want people to go into it without knowing the difficulties ahead.

Best of luck to you regardless of how you proceed.
    - Chris

She is in a boat yard where she can stay as it's also a marina and I think 140 a month is very reasonable