Thread: Help find designer Chuck Merrell or redesign plans.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help find designer Chuck Merrell or redesign plans.

I have a set of plans that I bought many years ago (2000) for Apple Pie a 7' yacht tender designed by Chuck Merrell. His website is gone and his email bounces back. Is anyone familiar with him and/or have contact info?

What I would like to do is stretch and widen his plans slightly to get the boat to 8' long and roughly 4' wide. I'm also wanting the ability to use a small 2.5 to 5 hp outboard. The boat will be used as a tender for a larger boat. It will mostly be rowed. I like the boat because it is very light only using a little over 1.5 sheets of 1/4 inch ply and a few small boards for seats and supports. If I build the hull to plans and build seats my way, the boat would weigh around 45-50lbs. If I could build the boat to 8' by 4' I believe the boat would weigh around 60-65lbs. Would it be possible to respace the offsets a fraction of an inch to get to, or close to, 8'? I know this will have to happen along the bottom and the sides. Is there anything else to consider besides the transoms dimensions? I think the designed freeboard will be fine with the addition displacement of the larger size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.