Thread: Help find designer Chuck Merrell or redesign plans.

Default Help find designer Chuck Merrell or redesign plans.

I have a set of plans that I bought many years ago (2000) for Apple Pie a 7' yacht tender designed by Chuck Merrell. His website is gone and his email bounces back. Is anyone familiar with him and/or have contact info?

What I would like to do is stretch and widen his plans slightly to get the boat to 8' long and roughly 4' wide. I'm also wanting the ability to use a small 2.5 to 5 hp outboard. The boat will be used as a tender for a larger boat. It will mostly be rowed. I like the boat because it is very light only using a little over 1.5 sheets of 1/4 inch ply and a few small boards for seats and supports. If I build the hull to plans and build seats my way, the boat would weigh around 45-50lbs. If I could build the boat to 8' by 4' I believe the boat would weigh around 60-65lbs. Would it be possible to respace the offsets a fraction of an inch to get to, or close to, 8'? I know this will have to happen along the bottom and the sides. Is there anything else to consider besides the transoms dimensions? I think the designed freeboard will be fine with the addition displacement of the larger size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Unless you have experience changing the plan of a boat. I would say leave it alone, it's certainly not a unique boat. I've just finished a CLC pram that actually fits the dimensions you seek.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Help find designer Chuck Merrell or redesign plans.

That is about the dimension of an Optimist dinghy. Plans are available, and it's a popular racing class as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I have a set of plans that I bought many years ago (2000) for Apple Pie a 7' yacht tender designed by Chuck Merrell. His website is gone and his email bounces back. Is anyone familiar with him and/or have contact info?
    Sadly, Chuck passed away several years ago. I don't know what became of his designs nor do I know of any family who might have them.

Jamie

Ben2go, you may wish to consider Atkin's "Rinky-Dink" plank-on-frame design at 7' - 0" LOA x 3' - 6" BOA or their "Itty-Bitty" plywood design at 7'-6" LOA x 3' - 7" (both beams are measured to outside of planking - add about 3 - 4" for rubrails). Both could easily be extended to 8 feet by spacing out the building molds. I think that the "Itty-Bitty would be the better boat for a small outboard because of her having less rocker in the bottom than "Rinky-Dink", although the latter is closer to the form of Merrell's "Apple Pie".

Rinky-Dink:

Itty-Bitty:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Ben

As you have the plans, just multiply all linear dimensions by a factor of 8/7. That will give an 8' by 4' pram. I can see two issues with this course of action. First is that you will have to scarf on a little extra on the sides. Unless of course you can obtain some 2500 x 1220 mm (8' 2.5" x 4' 0") 6mm thick ply when you might be able to do without. Second, you may have to adjust the sheer height after you have assembled the boat.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Unless you have experience changing the plan of a boat. I would say leave it alone, it's certainly not a unique boat. I've just finished a CLC pram that actually fits the dimensions you seek.
    That is really nice and finished off in a similar way to what I had in mind. I could strap in a couple flotation bags. That dink is to nice to tab in seat boxes with deck plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    That is about the dimension of an Optimist dinghy. Plans are available, and it's a popular racing class as well.
    I completely forgot about the Optimist. I thought I had plans for that one but it turns out that I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Orr View Post
    Sadly, Chuck passed away several years ago. I don't know what became of his designs nor do I know of any family who might have them.

Jamie

That is sad to hear. R.I.P. Mr. Merrell. Thanks for letting me know that.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ben2go, you may wish to consider Atkin's "Rinky-Dink" plank-on-frame design at 7' - 0" LOA x 3' - 6" BOA or their "Itty-Bitty" plywood design at 7'-6" LOA x 3' - 7" (both beams are measured to outside of planking - add about 3 - 4" for rubrails). Both could easily be extended to 8 feet by spacing out the building molds. I think that the "Itty-Bitty would be the better boat for a small outboard because of her having less rocker in the bottom than "Rinky-Dink", although the latter is closer to the form of Merrell's "Apple Pie".

Rinky-Dink:

Itty-Bitty:

I agree. Less rocker is better for power. Good idea on spacing the molds for the build. I'll check them out again.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Ben

As you have the plans, just multiply all linear dimensions by a factor of 8/7. That will give an 8' by 4' pram. I can see two issues with this course of action. First is that you will have to scarf on a little extra on the sides. Unless of course you can obtain some 2500 x 1220 mm (8' 2.5" x 4' 0") 6mm thick ply when you might be able to do without. Second, you may have to adjust the sheer height after you have assembled the boat.

Nick
    Food for thought. I'll see how it shakes out on paper first. I have no fear the scarf(ph) is here. LOL Thanks.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.