Thread: How Britain nearly won the space race

Default How Britain nearly won the space race

The Space Race was almost a three-way race in the late 1940s when British designers created Megaroc from the earlier German V-2, the first craft capable of carrying a man into space.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Default Re: How Britain nearly won the space race

There’s a whole little pocket of subculture on YouTube and such devoted to what Britain almost did or might have done if only.. which I heartily dislike.

We didn’t do it.

This sort of thing seems harmlessly nerdish but it feeds the sort of thing that leads to populist nationalism, and we know where that goes.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Similar setup in Aus. ACB, we didn't do it either. I have always though the US was responsible for that, but our pollies had 130 years of a5licking behind them and caved. They still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    There’s a whole little pocket of subculture on YouTube and such devoted to what Britain almost did or might have done if only.. which I heartily dislike.

We didn’t do it.

This sort of thing seems harmlessly nerdish but it feeds the sort of thing that leads to populist nationalism, and we know where that goes.
    Did you watch it? I'm thinking you didn't. Mark Felton puts together quite good little docos on WW2 and often on quite obscure events such as how Britain got it's hands on the latest German night fighter radar systems, the aircraft in question still exists in a museum.
    This is not about the days of Empire. It's just a story about a group of British scientists testing German V2 rockets in Northern Germany in 1946 and how they realised that with some modification they could put a man into space. Not orbit but space. They had the design or worked out and a sufficient level of technology to pull it off. At the time though Britains limited finances were aimed at a nuclear weapons program. In other words the money just wasn't there.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Yes, I watched it, and it is a charming little film which does its best to make bricks with very little straw.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Yes, I watched it, and it is a charming little film which does its best to make bricks with very little straw.
    Why do you stay in Britain a large proportion of the Electorate are "filth" you threatened to leave if their vote to leave the European Union came about.

We nearly did it is all that is been presented your diatribe is only indicative that you have a bitterness of some kind burning in your breast.

wtf?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

There’s a whole little pocket of subculture on YouTube and such devoted to what Britain almost did or might have done if only...
    dude! at least you’re not australian, those guys have it real bad. . .

’pity about the spitfires. . .’
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Mark Felton rocks. Drachinifel is also a worthwhile watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

Watch that chip on your shoulder doesn't fall off and break a toe. Pushrods. Pffft.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Why do you stay in Britain a large proportion of the Electorate are "filth" you threatened to leave if their vote to leave the European Union came about.

We nearly did it is all that is been presented your diatribe is only indicative that you have a bitterness of some kind burning in your breast.
    I’ll just leave this here to remind you that you nearly built a decent ship once.

Shame about the welding rods stuffed into seams, the “thief” in place of a main holding down bolt on the Clark Kincaid B&W, the inflammable Senior Green Diesecon economiser, and you couldn’t even do a decent job on the accommodation.

Some of us had to cope with your 825,000 man hours of shoddy workmanship.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 08-17-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I’ll just leave this here to remind you that you nearly built a decent ship once.

Shame about the welding rods stuffed into seams, the “thief” in place of a main holding down bolt on the Clark Kincaid B&W, the inflammable Senior Green Diesecon economiser, and you couldn’t even do a decent job on the accommodation.

Some of us had to cope with your 825,000 man hours of shoddy workmanship.
    Yes I've heard those stories too it may lend credibility to your claims if you didn't bare such a grunge against everything British.

That's shot of Manor Quay, I'm afraid I cannot identify the name of the ship.
    Last edited by Chippie; 08-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Similar setup in Aus. ACB, we didn't do it either. I have always though the US was responsible for that, but our pollies had 130 years of a5licking behind them and caved. They still do.
    Kinda like Trump Blaming Obama for everything, step up to the plate so to speak.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Didn't a German invent the V-2...Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Didn't a German invent the V-2...Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun
    Who settled married and worked in the States and eventually died as a US Citizen having had quite a hand in the UD space program.

Good catch, there. Would not happen now, of course...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Yes I've heard those stories too it may lend credibility to your claims if you didn't bare such a grunge against everything British.

That's shot of Manor Quay, I'm afraid I cannot identify the name of the ship.
    Your yard number 865. Eventually delivered in February 1984.

I am not making claims. I am listing well documented facts. As a shipbuilder, you are well aware of the defect list, and the procedures that are followed with it. Defect 65: lock on Master’s day cabin door inoperable. Defect 66: exhaust gas boiler caught fire. Etc. One place where we found welding rods stuffed in was the bulkhead between the service and settling tanks, which were common.

I am not, remotely, anti-British. But my parents did not fight a war for this country to be handed over to Fascists like Banks, Cummings and Farage by people whose laziness and poor workmanship brought the country to its knees.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 08-17-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

We have F35s now, equally useless as a long range offensive weapon.
    We have also followed the US in that we have elected a visionless backward looking self serving government.
    anyway regarding the OP I had expected a bit more of an in depth response.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Wait.

Britain had rockets?

Peace,
    Troll E McTrollface

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Wait.

Britain had rockets?

Peace,
    Troll E McTrollface
    Watch the video, all will be explained.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Watch the video, all will be explained.
    Really?

Peace,
    Was The Last Sign Off REALLY Not Clear Enough?

Who settled married and worked in the States and eventually died as a US Citizen having had quite a hand in the UD space program.

Good catch, there. Would not happen now, of course...
    Everyone's space program was spearheaded by German Scientists, US, USSR, GB all of them. Step down from your platform.
    Last edited by paulf; 08-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    PaulF

We have F35s now, equally useless as a long range offensive weapon.
    We have also followed the US in that we have elected a visionless backward looking self serving government.
    anyway regarding the OP I had expected a bit more of an in depth response.
    Is that our fault, look WX we have our problems, BIG ones, But step up and take responsibility for yours. Like us, if you don't like them GET RID OF THEM.
    I agree with all you say, but, Greed was not invented in the US, however there is a lot of it here.
    PaulF

Is that our fault, look WX we have our problems, BIG ones, But step up and take responsibility for yours. Like us, if you don't like them GET RID OF THEM.
    I agree with all you say, but, Greed was not invented in the US, however there is a lot of it here.
    Sorry mate, fair enough. I did my best to get rid of ours, i voted for sanity but the majority voted for stupidity and self interest instead.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Really?

Peace,
    Was The Last Sign Off REALLY Not Clear Enough?
    Yes.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Sorry mate, fair enough. I did my best to get rid of ours, i voted for sanity but the majority voted for stupidity and self interest instead.
    Yes, I know the feeling so well!
    PaulF

Everyone's space program was spearheaded by German Scientists, US, USSR, GB all of them. Step down from your platform.
    Vikram Sarabhai, the founding-father of India´s space program worked for his Ph.D at Caltech in the late 1940´s under another eminent German emigré. The Allies carved up the post-WWII talent pool amongst themselves.

Impressive- this one went quickly off the rails and into O & O territory. ‘ You damn kids .. got off my lawn!’
    Dont know chippie... seems to have some history...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Impressive- this one went quickly off the rails and into O & O territory. ‘ You damn kids .. got off my lawn!’
    Dont know chippie... seems to have some history...
    It's surprised me, I thought it was a good story. Take a WW2 rocket, modify it a bit and use it to put a man into space albeit briefly.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

I’d agree. Darn kids!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Vikram Sarabhai, the founding-father of India´s space program worked for his Ph.D at Caltech in the late 1940´s under another eminent German emigré. The Allies carved up the post-WWII talent pool amongst themselves.
    Yes, except the ones who were "collected" by the Russians.

I hate to use Wikipedia but:
    The rocket and space program of the USSR, initially boosted by the assistance of captured scientists from the advanced German rocket program,[1][2] was performed mainly by Soviet engineers and scientists after 1955, and was based on some unique Soviet and Imperial Russian theoretical developments, many derived by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, sometimes known as the father of theoretical astronautics.[3][4] Sergey Korolev (also transliterated as Korolyov) was the head of the principal design group; his official title was "chief designer" (a standard title for similar positions in the USSR). Unlike its American competitor in the "Space Race", which had NASA as a single coordinating agency, the USSR's program was split among several competing design bureaus led by Korolev, Mikhail Yangel, Valentin Glushko, and Vladimir Chelomei.

Yes they did their own homework, but bolstered by the Germans, same same US, GB. All of them had their own ideas, but give credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by paulf; 08-18-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    PaulF

There was one part of the British design that did make it into space. NASA used the design for the capsule hatch on the Mercury capsule.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

ilt
    Your yard number 865. Eventually delivered in February 1984.

I am not making claims. I am listing well documented facts. As a shipbuilder, you are well aware of the defect list, and the procedures that are followed with it. Defect 65: lock on Master’s day cabin door inoperable. Defect 66: exhaust gas boiler caught fire. Etc. One place where we found welding rods stuffed in was the bulkhead between the service and settling tanks, which were common.

I am not, remotely, anti-British. But my parents did not fight a war for this country to be handed over to Fascists like Banks, Cummings and Farage by people whose laziness and poor workmanship brought the country to its knees.
    865 was built at Deptford Yard formally Sir James Laing's to cast aspersions on a whole industry which played a vital part in the war that you mention by supplying replacements for the Battle for the Atlantic, which we almost lost, is beneath contempt.
    Did your parents play an active roll in the fight or merely live through it as I did?
    My heart bleeds that you were hampered by the inoperable lock on the cabin door, which actually could have been the manufacturers fault who might not have been British?

I was not even in those Departments that were responsible for the items you mention I was a Shipwright and did not operate at Deptford in any capacity.
    So feel free to delve into your records and come up with something that may have been appertaining to me and I will patiently try to explain if I can.

Meanwhile I hope that Life refuses to throw up anymore set backs for you

Yes, except the ones who were "collected" by the Russians.
    Russia (Soviet Union) was an allied power before the US was.

Miles M52!If you don't know the story,the truth is out there.