Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good luck Katherine.

Default Re: Good luck Katherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    This is about where I am at. Between the medical bills and now this, I am not sure what to do.
    1) Don't do much of anything, for a week.
    2) File for unemployment.
    3) Stop worrying.
    4) Get better.

How's that?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Norman is correct although not worrying may be a bit of a chore. Are entitled to any form of a severance package?

Good luck, Kat.
    FWIW, in my own life, and in the lives of many I know, when one door closed, another opened.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Damn Katherine - this sucks. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Katherine,
    Tough thing to happen anytime, but especially now when you are struggling with your health.

I feel the timing isn’t quite right for my next comment, but maybe in a month or so you will consider it.

My first thought upon reading your description of the termination was “She has a great future as a writer “
    I have no sage words of advice, good luck to you.
    Jack
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

So sorry to hear this. Take some time to rest and recover, enjoy what's left of the summer.

A friend of mine, the managing editor of a newspaper who had grown circulation in good times and bad, knew his publisher had the knives out for him, and while he was recovering from surgery for Graves Disease, was presented with a performance review which he refused to sign, since it was a hatchet job. His marriage ended at the same time, Graves can create problems with anxiety and irritability that accentuate existing problems. He was able to take two years away from work to recover his health and his perspective (and by the time he was ready to go back to work, that publisher had been fired.) One thing about health problems, they make you more vulnerable. Corporations are creatures without a conscience, and they will take advantage of vulnerability. People in them will do things for the corporation they would never do on their own behalf.

Take the time you need to feel better.

Sorry Kat.

I don't know anything about US employment law so won't give any comments on that. Get some legal advice. Get some independent emotional support. And financial advice. Only then make a decision.

What are you like at remodeling bathrooms?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    “ We have reviewed your performance. You do not meet the level of performances of a mid level professional. That being the case we are choosing to terminate the relationship, effective immediately”

While I am waiting on my manager, I ask her why only to be told that it was my performance on the early part of my PIP, that made them decide. I just nodded my head, all the while thinking, you mean the time I was in and out of the hospital, repeatedly, from kidney infections caused by a congenital birth defect? I was being fired for something I had no control over.
    Working in corporate America sucks.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

OK I'm going to ask. How many female engineers does the company have? Does the company help the guys ride out health and emotional down patches? Just wondering.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Bloody Hell Kat, I'm sorry to hear this.
    I won't offer any advice other than "Don't panic" and get yourself well.

Kia kaha.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    1) Don't do much of anything, for a week.
    2) File for unemployment.
    3) Stop worrying.
    4) Get better.

How's that?
    Okay. Here's my concern - if the bastards claim dismissal was "due to poor performance", they could try to block her qualifying for unemployment. At least in Illinois, one has to be dismissed "through no fault of their own" to qualify. I really hope they're not that nasty.
    "We all have a gift, Frank. Yours will reveal itself. Eventually."

I only bring this up because it almost happened to me once. I was told, “We're not satisfied with your performance in the year you've been here.”
    I said, “You'll have to be more specific, because I've turned the Purchasing and Inventory Management modules of your ERP system into fully functional tools. I've also eliminated all of your many production shortages, and eliminated all of your sales back orders.”
    To which he replied, “Well, the truth is, we just don't need you anymore.”
    My separation papers were changed to “Position was eliminated”, and I filed for unemployment with no hindrance.

Katherine, what they did was humiliating and not worth of members of the human race. Your situation kept going round and round in my head and I'm not sure if I manage to express with the correct words what I would like to say to you: be happy, you are alive, be happy not having to place another foot into the premises of this company, they don't deserve you! And I would like to let you know that there is much worse happening out there. It happened in my work-life that they didn't even bother to fire people, it would have been too expensive for them. We were 35. After 7 of my colleagues had died within one year of a heart-attack (mid forties to beginning 50 years old, fit and healthy), number 8 shot himself and number 9 died of cancer. I knew I would be the next. Within 24 hours I got myself 3 years of unpaid holiday to wait out if I manage to recover, separated my husband and left my country to live on my boat ... that was in 2002. I managed to survive for 7 years on the only money I had when I left, which was my last 2 months wages. I was going hungry many times, but I rather went hungry than going back to hell. Sorry! I have never been able to talk about it, but I hope it helps you to get your feet back on the ground and your strength back! There is more to life! Hugs
    Last edited by Dody; 08-17-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

What utter bastwerds!

Good luck with the legal advice, and any challenge. I think the combination of medical issues the company was unprepared to make allowances for and the (likely) total lack of female engineers in the company may prove to be their Achilles' heal.

Maybe a well placed news story about lack of women in the FCA design department?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

You have my sympathies as well, Kat. I've sat on the same side of the table as you, know well the feeling. Having had two weeks advance warning helped me some, but it ALWAYS hurts. Corporations can be very heartless.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Ah, #$&(# @#&$ &#*$(#$!!! Very sorry that happened to you. Something similar happened to me a while ago with even less explanation (small company, new CEO, utter *sshole, I'd bet a sociopath); highly unpleasant at the time, but it worked out fine in the end. I was probably lucky to get out as quickly as I did, although I'd have rather done it voluntarily. I won't put my put my oar in on the legal aspect; not my area.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Sorry to hear this Kat.
    Best wishes for your health and wellbeing.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Okay. Here's my concern - if the bastards claim dismissal was "due to poor performance", they could try to block her qualifying for unemployment. At least in Illinois, one has to be dismissed "through no fault of their own" to qualify. I really hope they're not that nasty.
    I was told by HR they would not block unemployment. I also told the lady at the unemployment agency exactly what happened and they plan on investigating. Being unable to do the job does not prevent you getting unemployment, insubordination does.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

^ Good to hear, Katherine. Sometimes, you just don't know what they're thinking.

If I choose to sue or go to arbitration, my unemployment may be blocked.

Yeah, it's a tough decision - which path will yield the best outcome? Both times I was let go due to my age (obviously). I signed off on the no lawsuit paper, and took the salary and insurance continuation. But, I've always wondered what if?

I sympathize. First it's the shock, then the emotional hurt that lasts for a long time. It's possible to come out of this somewhat "immunized" against this sort of emotional impact in any future employment and still be a good employee - yet always being prepared for the unexpected "hit." Best wishes and good health to you.

Katherine,

I private messaged you. I have what I hope is useful info. Due to length, I had to break up the info into 5 messages. Lets talk privately.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

You cannot be penalized for simply consulting a lawyer. Consult a lawyer, specializing in employment law, before deciding anything. If you don't have an attorney, look for ratings online.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Working in corporate America sucks.
    It takes some people a long time to find that out. It took me several years at several employers. It applies to small employers also. They suck.

Often by the time people figure it out, they are tied down by an obligation to have income.
    Last edited by Too Little Time; 08-19-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    Life is complex.

Though break Kat. I made a career change several years ago and found this book extremely helpful. If nothing else, it provides excellent advice on updating your resume. It's actually quite entertaining and it's free.

Like the rest of your forum friends here, I wish you the best of everything going forward.

What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual For Job-Hunters And Career-Changers
    Author: Richard N. Bolles

https://www.academia.edu/20330875/What_Color_Is_Your_Parachute

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    You cannot be penalized for simply consulting a lawyer. Consult a lawyer, specializing in employment law, before deciding anything. If you don't have an attorney, look for ratings online.
    Check your PM's

Thanks all. The last few days have been pretty rough for me emotionally. I've never been fired before or treated like I was last week. I pray that if I am ever on the other side of the table, I can show more empathy and kindness then I was treated with.

I wish you all the best.
    But concentrate on getting well again first.
    My 2 cents
    Last edited by beernd; 08-19-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Since I have always been a union-represented auto industry employee I cannot really speak to the travails of salaried employees except to say that -- at the assembly plant level -- they appear to often be treated badly.

Katherine, I have followed your illness and recovery closely on this forum. You have often been in my thoughts and have had my best wishes. This turn of events SUCKS but I agree with those who say unexpected bad news often turns out for the best in the long run.

As always, the best to both you and Paul.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

The way unemployment works in California and Washington (and perhaps Michigan?) is that the employer will be given one opportunity to object to the unemployment claim shortly after it is filed. If they raise no objection, and you comply with the unemployment rules which may require you to maintain an active job search, you should not be cut off from unemployment. Your attorney can tell you exactly what to do to get what is coming to you besides unemployment.

Speaking of attorney's, I can think of at least three theories which may form the basis for action against the company; gender discrimination, violation of FMLA requirements, and the possible existence of previous positive reviews. I am not an attorney, so some of these theories may not work, and there may be additional theories which do work. I recommend you find a good attorney ASAP, and listen to his or her advice. In matters such as this, you should be able to find an attorney who will take your case on a contingency basis so you owe no fees if you do not prevail (though you may have to pay for some costs like expert witnesses).

I empathize with you, having been fired myself on more than one occasion. After one firing, I hired a firm, Allison & Taylor (https://www.allisontaylor.com/refere...g_services.asp) to check my references. After getting their report, my previous employer was sent a cease and desist letter to keep them from saying anything but good things about me. That was money well spent, and I recommend it if you plan to continue working in your field. Depending what they uncover, and what you pay them to do, you may have additional ammunition in the event of a lawsuit. My only relationship with Allison & Taylor is as a satisfied client.

Best of luck to you, Katherine!

dang, that's a rough one kat. "sucks" doesn't cut it. i'm glad i don't work in corporate america. i wouldn't have handled that situation ANYWHERE NEAR as well as you did. i would have tumped that table over and made a SCENE.

This news sucks! I missed this thread during the server issues.

Best wishes for you, we went through a similar situation with Ken losing his job about 10 years ago. Ken makes fun of my understating problems as being "less than ideal", but we have always pulled through as I'm confident you will too.

As I have watched my department shrink from 175 associates to 45 over the last few years, I often wonder when it will be my turn. I don't keep many personal items in my desk. All of them would fit in the shopping bag I keep in my bottom drawer. UGH!!!!!!

best wishes!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Lightbulb Re: Good luck Katherine.

I got fired for having a heart attack back in 2006.
    Escorted out by security and all that crap.
    The company went out of business a year later.
    I'm still alive.
    I'm sorry you had to endure that Kat.
    For what it's worth, I cried too.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

I'm sorry this happened to you, out best friend was diagnosed with cancer, had a operation and got a UPS package, thought it was flowers. Turned out it was a termination letter..... while she was back one day from the hospital.

I wish I had good news but my friend was blackballed from the industry.

Did get a settlement. .

It's a mental war to keep ones nerve and not let it destroy one..

That's what they want.

But lost the time for a pension. .