Thread: Tennessee gun thread.

Default Tennessee gun thread.

Safe Tennessee Project: A Tennessean dies every 7.1 hours from gun violence

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--The Safe Tennessee Project (STP) reports gun deaths are on the rise in the state and outpacing U.S. averages in several categories.
    STP is a self-described non-partisan organization focused on gun related injuries and violence in the state, describing it as a public health concern and not a political issue. For the study, STP examined data from 2007-2017 which was the latest year available. The data came from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2017 Fatal Injury Reports and the Web-based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System.

Based on the data, STP reports 3.4 Tennesseans die every day from gun violence, the equivalence of one person every 7.1 hours. From 2007-2017, firearm mortality in the state increased 20% for all ages and increased 53% for persons 19 or younger.

https://fox17.com/news/local/safe-te...m-gun-violence
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Default Re: Tennessee gun thread.

Ok, rising crime in Tennessee is bad, but I've got to mention this point about Federal funding for gun violence research. It's mentioned in most of our gun threads. Someone will mention that Congress is blocking much needed funding to study gun violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    The data came from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2017 Fatal Injury Reports and the Web-based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System.

From the link, within the link...

POLICIES WE SUPPORT
    n

• Ending the ban on funding CDC research on gun violence and gun violence prevention.

All three of their information sources are from the CDC.

The first one is obvious.

Second

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/index.html

third

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Safe Tennessee Project: A Tennessean dies every 7.1 hours from gun violence

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--The Safe Tennessee Project (STP) reports gun deaths are on the rise in the state and outpacing U.S. averages in several categories.
    STP is a self-described non-partisan organization focused on gun related injuries and violence in the state, describing it as a public health concern and not a political issue. For the study, STP examined data from 2007-2017 which was the latest year available. The data came from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2017 Fatal Injury Reports and the Web-based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System.

Based on the data, STP reports 3.4 Tennesseans die every day from gun violence, the equivalence of one person every 7.1 hours.
    This "gun violence" stat includes deaths from all causes (including accidents, homicide, police intervention, and suicide).

Different causes, different solutions. What does the Safe Tennessee Project propose to do about it?

What's your pleasure?

Common factor. Guns. Statistically 2nd most common factor, men.
    And I don't even have to look up the actual reports for that extrapolation.

The gun tax is paid in blood, over 3 a day. But it's OK, it's cultural. (Keep your head down krg1)

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Common factor. Guns. Statistically 2nd most common factor, men.
    And I don't even have to look up the actual reports for that extrapolation.

The gun tax is paid in blood, over 3 a day. But it's OK, it's cultural.
    Most gun deaths in this country are suicides. If I remember correctly, after the buyback program started, Australia's suicide rate continued to rise for a short time, then began to decline, but probably more as a result of mental health and suicide prevention programs than lack of availability of firearms. (One doesn't need a semi-auto to kill oneself, and there are still plenty of firearms in civilian hands in your country.) And despite the decline in rates of suicide in Australia (I assume that's still the trend) men are probably the majority of victims.

Of course, if there weren't any suicides, the gun suicide rate would be zero, as well.

(Keep your head down krg1)
    Sound advice. That's my plan.

Last edited by kgr1; 08-17-2019 at 03:40 AM.

Suicides in Aus are men mostly over 85. The homeless maybe, the lonely or those who've just had enough.
    "The suicide rate for men aged 85 and older was 39.3 per 100,000 people. In women of the same age, it was 5.7.Among males aged 15-19 years old the suicide rate was 11.8 deaths per 100,000 people, but suicide accounted for 28.6 per cent of all deaths in that age group.
    The highest female suicide rate was within the 45-49 year age group, at 10.4 deaths per 100,000. The lowest death rate for females was among those aged 65-69 years — 4.5 deaths."

Until just recently the option of legal officially sanctioned assisted dying was not available but it is now in at least one state. The first person under the new legislation pulled the plug last week. Some of the god botherers are stiil getting their knickers in a knot.
    If you don't have controll over your own body you have controll over nothing. I have had quite firm personal views on this for a very long time It's my body, my life F..off.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Ok, rising crime in Tennessee is bad, but I've got to mention this point about Federal funding for gun violence research. It's mentioned in most of our gun threads. Someone will mention that Congress is blocking much needed funding to study gun violence.

Second

third

So Moscow Mitch is at it again Brian, tabling anything and everything related to guns in the Senate!

okay we got it, gun suicide deaths are all good and acceptable

check
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I prefer killing myself with coffee, cigarettes and fatty foods.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

Second

third

That there is some data on firearm deaths does not mean there is funding specifically for researching firearm injuries and deaths.

https://www.wired.com/story/cdc-gun-...esearch-money/

After the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, last year, and the wave of activism that followed, Congress clarified that the CDC could, in fact, use funds to study gun violence. It just didn’t earmark any additional money for that purpose. Months later, Democrats regained the majority in the House. They’ve been using that status to fight to get $50 million explicitly earmarked for studying the underpinnings of America’s gun violence problem.
    The $50 million earmarked by the House still needs to be approved in the Senate—and that’s a big obstacle. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell has tried as hard as he can to prevent bills that even mention firearms from seeing the light of day on the Senate floor he so mightily controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    okay we got it, gun suicide deaths are all good and acceptable

check
    Is that what you got out of the posts on this thread?

Or are you simply giving your inner troll a little exercise?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Oh boy, another newbie bot, another Trump's mouthpiece.

Active, assisted, voluntary euthanasia is legal in VT, and several other states as well, IIRC.
    That male sex and guns are common factors, while true, is not explanatory, nor informative in reducing the deaths.
    One area that might be fruitful is domestic violence. Abusive relationships sometimes advance to lethal violence. I believe that almost half of all mass shootings are related to domestic violence. A side benefit of an effective program of intervention in domestic abuse would be a reduction in sublethal physical and emotional trauma in the primary and secondary victims

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Active, assisted, voluntary euthanasia is legal in VT, and several other states as well, IIRC.
    That male sex and guns are common factors, while true, is not explanatory, nor informative in reducing the deaths.
    One area that might be fruitful is domestic violence. Abusive relationships sometimes advance to lethal violence. I believe that almost half of all mass shootings are related to domestic violence. A side benefit of an effective program of intervention in domestic abuse would be a reduction in sublethal physical and emotional trauma in the primary and secondary victims
    Hey David, do you think there’s any correlation between guns per capita and gun deaths and injuries per capita?