Thread: Quick ride video clip from today

Default Quick ride video clip from today

Today's topic... water buffalo

So - I bought a new video camera the other day, then did a two day ride to Pai. Nine bikes (three of them mine) with 11 people. Len and I had passengers. Tum heard him mention that he was taking a young lass from Israel up to Pai - nothing other than giving her a lift... so Tum decided that she'd better go along to keep an eye on me.

I ended up taking two helmet cams, as I only had one battery for the new GoPro 7 Black... and, shooting at 4K/60 frames a second, apparently battery life is limited. The other camera is my Contour. I so much prefer the form factor and ease of use of the Contour... but the GoPro is a long way ahead in the tech department now. It has GPS, wifi, and image stabilisation. That last one is the biggie.

Here's a short clip I put on Youtube of us encountering some water buffalo on the road. I might have just captured an encounter with an elephant on the Contour earlier in the day.... but I haven't reviewed that yet.

Adobe have just released a new video editing program, which I like - Premiere Rush. It makes it easy to get a clip together... and cut out the bits where the wrong numbers show on various instruments.

I'll bring a few more clips to this thread over time. There was some stunning riding over the last two days... albeit with it bucketing down on us today.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Cool Re: Quick ride video clip from today

Good thing you were riding on the wrong side of the road.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Quick ride video clip from today

Are some of those turns off camber or does the lens make it look that way?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Are some of those turns off camber or does the lens make it look that way?
    Probably the lens. The riding was fantastic.... and the guys who design the roads in this country ALL ride or have ridden motorcycles. It really helps.

I've got a couple of bits I want to put on Youtube tomorrow. I'm actually planning to put together a couple of hours of clips to run on one of the screens in the pub - backed with some music options.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

OThe hero 7 black lens stabilization is pretty remarkable. I have four contours which I also love but think it might be time as well. I think Iíll be carrying one with 2 batteries next month with Steven.

As for the riding - those roads are in good shape. What time of day was that?
    Also so when is the best timer year to ride there... asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The hero 7 black lens stabilization is pretty remarkable. I have four contours which I also love but think it might be time as well. I think I’ll be carrying one with 2 batteries next month with Steven.

As for the riding - those roads are in good shape. What time of day was that?
    Also so when is the best timer year to ride there... asking for a friend...
    That would have been somewhere between 1 and 2, Ted. We left Rider's Corner at 9:34 am and picked up 3 more bikes at a Resort half an hour out of town. Funnily enough, that included a former NASA scientist, who turned up at Rider's about 3 minutes after we launched. We let him off easily.

He was on a Honda CRF - with modified exhaust, which a couple of guys made sure they avoided riding behind. I was on the Ducati Multistrada 1100S - the old 2007 model - with my partner, Tum, on the back. Others included my two Honda 500Fs - with my right hand man, Deere, riding one and Lachie, a Kiwi friend, on the other. Other friends were on a Honda 500 Rebel (cruiser version with the same 500 twin engine), a Honda NC750, two Kawasaki Versys 650s, one of which carried the Israeli lass - who had never been on a bike in her life. Interesting lady - doing her Masters in neuroscience, focusing on PTSD. Ninth bike was a Honda CB500X - same as one I have - again, with that twin cylinder 500 engine.

The CB 500 is no slug. I had a bit of a run with Lachie away from the lights. I only got ahead by wringing the Duke's throat. It was a bit impromptu and I had to feather the throttle in first a bit, as the front wheel was headed skyward and then full throttle in second, with the front just clear of the road.... and I had him. On the open road, he was on my tail most of the time unless I got really serious. Same with the Versys. I will post a clip later of reeling them in.

We spent a bit of time waiting for the slowest rider, and I made a fuel stop... and we were in Pai at 2:23 pm. We also took a break at the hot springs about 25 km before Pai. Photos and more clips later.

Oh - best time of year to ride? Any time is good... but it's nice weather now, if you don't mind the rain. We didn't get wet on Thursday.... but we didn't see dry on Friday. There's news stories now of potential flooding in Pai after it dumped 93 mm of rain there yesterday - which we rode back through.

Wet season rains start to lift from early October. November, it's still all green - getting dryer through February.... then they burn the stubble in March. Bastards. So - Nov to Feb, inclusive, is the best
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 08-16-2019 at 05:12 PM.

The thing that irks me most - which isn't a huge issue - is that on group rides, about half the riders don't overtake well. They get too cautious and don't use the bike's performance. Here, I'd handed over the lead to Deere (for 20km, which he stretched to over 70 km... hmmm) and I was riding sweep. Deere, Lachie and Ken had blasted past these trucks, but these guys ended up taking several km to overtake

Overtaking on a single yellow is allowed here - "with extreme caution".

If I'd been at the front of that queue, by the time this next shot was taken... I'd have been out of sight up the hill before the lead truck made it to here

We've got guys riding with us who are in their 70's and not all want to tear up the bitumen, which is fine. I don't mind tootling along at the back, at times and the others will pull over and have a break occasionally, so that we can catch up ....

You do know when you look in your mirror and see a Wave, you are definitely tootling....

I had to overtake - and "sweep from in front" for a while after that - my cylinder head temp was climbing as I wasn't getting enough airflow... and when it hit 97C, I overtook and doubled my speed... and down came the temps.

Later in the day - after that clip where the buffalo were.... we stopped at the hot springs... and there were signs of heat in my brakes. I'd been dicing with Ken and Lachie for quite a while (having sent Deere back to sweep again).

And here's that elephant. I only just caught her, as I didn't have the cameras on at the time. No way in the world to activate a GoPro fast enough to do this.

The difference in quality is stark though. YouTube stuffs it up a fair bit along the way... but even so....

Here's how the cameras are mounted. GoPro is out of it's frame, obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

i'll need two cameras when i ride with you too! Find a few places to pull over cause i ride slow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I was wondering how the picture stayed so horizontal on the bends!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I was wondering how the picture stayed so horizontal on the bends!
    The image stabilisation is brilliant. I discovered that I'd rendered the video in HD, rather than 4K... and the difference is noticeable in the 48 minute version I've put together to play on one of the bar TVs. I won't be uploading that to YouTube, as my speedo is visible. I might do a short clip and blur the speedo, later. I'm also now exploring the various different ways to record. I think a super wide might work better.