Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Fonda 79

Default Re: RIP Peter Fonda 79

Just the other day, when Herself was out, I dialed up Easy Rider on Amazon, and had to stop halfway through. I remember watching that on the big screen in LA with my older brother, when it came out.

Changed my life, man.

Then we drove home. Wow.

I guess now the only thing to do is ask Herself to step back out again for an hour or so...

Groovy, man.
    sproing

I wasn't familiar with his recent work... but I consider 'Ulee's Gold', a 'small' film he made some years back (and for which he was nominated for an Academy Award as Best Actor) to be one of my 'special' films... a film I can watch over and over again. His portrayal of a shy beekeeper, trying to help his convict son and addicted daughter-in-law, was simply magnificent... understated but intense.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Easy Rider was one good movie.

Easy Rider was a very disturbing movie. I watched it when it came out, never again.

i met him over 20 years ago in half moon bay. He was so cool and nice. We talked about motorcycles, one day riding together, and about film production (which was in his blood) over freshly done hand rolled cigars and some well distilled spirits. I wish I had had a chance to fall into his inner circle. He was what you thought he was. He was all that plus a gentle mans man.

D1590350-989C-4C55-84A9-F0EB90CE01C2.jpg

5B6DFAA4-678D-4D81-9CDE-F0DE1DD72599.jpg

oh damn, hope I make it to 78.

Ted, thx for the pics.

"Ulees Gold" was a true gem.
    In "The Limey" he played a cowardly Harvey Weinstein type drug dealer. He was despicable.

Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

I liked the movies and his acting in " A Thief of Time " and " 3:10 to Yuma" just to name a few . Looking forward to seeing " Ulee's Gold " .

Would be interesting to know how many spills he took on the chopper in " Easy Rider " Interesting movie that I suppose is a good snapshot of the USA at the time it was filmed .
    We need to protect wild places , they aren't making any more

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Ted, thx for the pics.
    Lee, there are few sweet, beautiful men. We know them when we met them. Peter was one of us.

It is a shame so much vitriol and vinegar flows through the hearts and minds of many here.

Peter was allowed to nurture his emotional intelligence and use it to make artistic statements. His message was disturbing to those who followed a path which leads men to exploit each other and the land for personal greed and with disregard of others. He put his life, money and efforts towards building the awareness.

Thanks for that nice tribute Ted, good to know. I never met him but l was moored next to his boat “Tatoosh” for a couple of years on Lake Union.

O.K. I'm officially a cultural know-nothing. I saw "Easy Rider" 50 years ago and never realized that Dennis Hopper directed it.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

I had already bought my first Panhead when that movie came out...

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Geez. I post the obituary to inform and remember. Now it has turned into something for someone to vent because they can't get to whoever pissed in their cornflakes.
    I can delete the whole thread, but I won't that would be shooting all the dogs 'cause one has fleas.

(I'll just Google "flea powder" and PM a link.
    I prefer to think of his contributions as being flushable.

RIP Peter Fonda.

Glad you got to meet him, Ted.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Lightbulb Re: RIP Peter Fonda 79

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Cedars View Post
    I liked the movies and his acting in " A Thief of Time " and " 3:10 to Yuma" just to name a few . Looking forward to seeing " Ulee's Gold " .

Would be interesting to know how many spills he took on the chopper in " Easy Rider " Interesting movie that I suppose is a good snapshot of the USA at the time it was filmed .
    There was a feature that accompanied the Easy Rider DVD that chronicled making the film. It was written, filmed and financed on the run, with some of the cast picked up from bystanders on the set. The result was a powerful film.
    Never met him, but a guy in my high school married his sister; and one of his good friends, Pat Farrow, married my wife's best friend. Result was some familiar faces on refrigerators.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I prefer to think of his contributions as being flushable.

RIP Peter Fonda.

Glad you got to meet him, Ted.

...... a one week's flushing is appreciated... but it could have been so much more. So much more........

But thanks anyhow, Scot
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

He once owned an island right across from our place in the St. Lawrence, he built a small, octagonal house over the water there. So sorry that I never got to meet him.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Good actor, I enjoyed his movies . . . but, he was a rich kid who was brought up with a false sense of importance and confidence. I never understood the hero worship of people like him. Ted, he never had to face adversity, not real adversity. His character was just that, a character, written and fake.
    It's called acting. Actually, I think lung cancer counts as real adversity.

“Tatoosh” a Vic Franck 82’ ketch built in Seattle in 1961.

1DA5A45C-D9AF-426D-ADA9-0BAF35484EBF.jpg

Same upbringing as this dude. Maybe he should have run for president . . .

How did you happen to know the two?

W
    Good actor, I enjoyed his movies . . . but, he was a rich kid who was brought up with a false sense of importance and confidence. I never understood the hero worship of people like him. Ted, he never had to face adversity, not real adversity. His character was just that, a character, written and fake.
    Dude - we all have adversity. I never criticize another mans career and job choices as long as he has been productive. Sure he was lucky to be the son of Henry Fonda, he was born with tremendous charisma, being outstanding handsome and always thin. He grew up in a world of international privilege. He made himself into an icon for a lost generation. although he did work in entertainment as an actor, he also was the producer and money man for many other films you have found compelling and interesting. He bankrolled the film Easy Rider almost by himself and had the clout to take it to Canne film festival.

One of last documentaries which Fonda drove to get support and financed was The Big Fix, about the oil spill in the gulf. Had he not pushed and got others to produce it, it wouldn’t have been funded, the story would have been forgotten along with the people who got hurt as well as the problem which is still unresolved.

a man who had such a global impact, has owned wooden sailboats, rode the best motorcycles, made himself into a icon, made love to the finest women, had a father who loved him and created a large loving group of friends and family has lived a fine life. We all wish to have lived that way too. For a few of us, we try to make up for those comparative shortcomings by making a difference and having a full life adventure.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Same upbringing as this dude. Maybe he should have run for president . . .
    Not even vaguely close to the same upbringing. Only similarity is they both grew up with money. So - I guess you believe that all who grew up without money had the same upbringing?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Seriously, you guys. Dude could NOT act. Sorry.

Neat Frisco chopper, though.

And, I have heard he was a charming and likable guy. Still.

Peace,
    Robert

FWIW, Fonda had a part in about 100 movies; Newman did about 60. No one said Fonda was a better actor, but he did work hard. No one called him a hero either--don't know why anyone would raise the issue. I worked in the fame business for 40 years, and the experience made me realize how ephemeral fame is.

You do know his mother committed suicide, right? Might want to get off your high horse now and then
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Lol, Lots of people have tragidy in their lives. Is that your definition of someone who's life and death should be celebrated over others? He also had a huge support system and never had to fight or work for his next meal. Whatevs, you do you, I'm just sayin, if you think this guy was worth a mention over the other hundreds of other people who died yesterday, you may need to evaluate your value system.
    Do you ever tired of lecturing the rest of the world? You come across to me as smug and self righteous.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

C’mon man. Think of the wooden boat jobs that trickled down from that 82’ yacht.

Designed by the famous yacht designer Ben Seaborn with project consultation and sail plan/rig by Sparkman and Stephens, the magnificent 80' wooden ketch fondly known as Tatoosh was built for the Boeing family in 1961. Actor Peter Fonda purchased Tatoosh shortly after the success of the movie Easy Rider in 1969 and sailed her extensively throughout the Hawaiian Islands, Tahiti and California up until he sold her in 1985. The Cadranells of Seattle and San Diego bought Tatoosh from Fonda and owned her for 29 years. Tatoosh has been immaculately maintained throughout the years and aside from her rich history, she is an extremely well-built sailing yacht constructed with 2" Alaska yellow cedar planking, Everdur bronze fastenings and a bronze structural frame. She would make an awesome charter boat or private yacht. Don't miss the 360 degree panoramic photos on this listing to get a more personal tour.

(Sold in 2019 for $385,000)

If you think me that simple minded then you don't think to much of me. My point is, it's easy to be confident and self assured when you have nothing to worry about your entire life. There is very little remarkable about Peter Fonda's life and if not for the vast amount of money behind him, he would have likely not accomplished even a sliver of what he did accomplish, which in the grand scheme of things, wasn't really that much.
    Then say that Mike - don't say that he & Trump had the same upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Designed by the famous yacht designer Ben Seaborn with project consultation and sail plan/rig by Sparkman and Stephens, the magnificent 80' wooden ketch fondly known as Tatoosh was built for the Boeing family in 1961. Actor Peter Fonda purchased Tatoosh shortly after the success of the movie Easy Rider in 1969 and sailed her extensively throughout the Hawaiian Islands, Tahiti and California up until he sold her in 1985. The Cadranells of Seattle and San Diego bought Tatoosh from Fonda and owned her for 29 years. Tatoosh has been immaculately maintained throughout the years and aside from her rich history, she is an extremely well-built sailing yacht constructed with 2" Alaska yellow cedar planking, Everdur bronze fastenings and a bronze structural frame. She would make an awesome charter boat or private yacht. Don't miss the 360 degree panoramic photos on this listing to get a more personal tour.

(Sold in 2019 for $385,000)
    See - Seaborn boat owners are all good looking gentlemen!