Thread: Pubs in Rural Ireland

Default Pubs in Rural Ireland

I’ve been to two of them in the past few days. Both in the afternoon. Both sparsely populated. (Three other patrons in one, one other patron in the other)

In both cases, upon figuring out I was from The States, the had only one thing they wanted to know: “What do ya’ think about Trump?”

The bartender and lone patron of the first establishment didn’t understand how he could win without a majority of the vote. Now they simply don’t understand why we use the electoral college in this day and age. They also felt that, while clueless as a world leader, his business sense might prove to be an advantage for our economy. I pointed out that he’s filed for bankruptcy six times. They said that kind of information doesn’t make it over there, but it doesn’t seem too difficult to put together with what they’ve seen.

An old man at the second pub asked me how long I figured Trump had. I responded that I thought his run would end with the 2020 election.

“He’s not like any other politician,” he said. “Well, perhaps Boris Johnson.”

“I get the impression that he has a fair bit in common with Boris,” I replied. “How long do you figure Boris has?”

The old guy smiled at me for a moment and said “Oh, not long.”

They’ve got Donny figured out over here.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Default Re: Pubs in Rural Ireland

Son and dot-in-law spent their honeymoon in rural Eire. Went into a small town pub where the postman was in a bit of a stupor at the bar. The locals were taking their mail out of his bag to save him the trouble.
    They told him there were a couple of Americans in the place and he gave my son his official postie ballcap.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Did you take your 4-piece fly rod with you?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Did you take your 4-piece fly rod with you?
    Sadly, the flyrods didn’t make the trip. We had considered a day on River Fergus, but that would have stranded half the family at the cottage. As it was, I don’t know when we could have fit it in without a guide of some sort to set us up.

Next time.

I understand! Time is precious!

Progress has been slow on my drift boat build. But it looks like I'll have time this weekend. A buddy is coming over to help wire the electrical system.

I've got a week of vacation (stay-cation) in September. I hope to use that to boost my progress.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Do you spey cast, I know it's very popular over there. I bought a rod and took a class but it never really stuck and even on the larger rivers have gone back to conventional fly casting. Enjoy Ireland I sure did even though I didn't get to fish.

I’ve heard of Spey casting. (It’s popular for Steelheading in Michigan.) But I’ve never seen it done.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Hadn't heard of it until this week, when the owner of my local fly shop gave me a seminar on the subject (as well as Euro nymphing).

Very long rods and roll casting, as I recall, or not.

Named after the river Spey, as I recall.
    Why do I have the feeling that googling Euro nymphing might return some NSFW results?
    In the process of helping my mother get packed for a house move in a couple of weeks, we came across a pair of what would be my Great Grandfather's split bamboo Shakespeare fly rods. There is the one that has obviously been used, and then there is what looks like an almost immaculate unused spare.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that googling Euro nymphing might return some NSFW results?
    In the process of helping my mother get packed for a house move in a couple of weeks, we came across a pair of what would be my Great Grandfather's split bamboo Shakespeare fly rods. There is the one that has obviously been used, and then there is what looks like an almost immaculate unused spare.

Pete
    Have a fly shop check them out if you want to fish them, the varnish breaks down over time and that can be problematic for the wraps and the bamboo ferrule glue can dry out as well. The older shorter rods tend to be worth more money, I think it's they tend to be faster and less tiring to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

Pete
    Send them to Chris.

He can bring them to Lovells.

And we’ll both raise a glass in your honor!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    Sadly, the flyrods didn’t make the trip. We had considered a day on River Fergus, but that would have stranded half the family at the cottage. As it was, I don’t know when we could have fit it in without a guide of some sort to set us up.

Next time.
    I did a fly-drive vacation to Ireland in 2010 - am interested in a cottage rental - can you share details ? ( I do not wish to impose)

Thumbs up Re: Pubs in Rural Ireland

This thread needs music.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.