Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vince Brennan

Default Vince Brennan

You may be wondering "what ever happened to Vince Brennan?" I certainly was. Well, I received this letter from Vince the other day.

Some of you have been inadvertently left "out of the loop" due to the effects of medication upon my alleged mind, but I hope to keep and update this list more thoroughly as time goes on.

On March 18th this year I was diagnosed with a rare (for my age group and general health) class "B" aggressive lymphoma of the testicles, with the subsequent radical removal of the left side and all the associated tubes, elevator muscles and other vas. Recovery rate is in the 40% range for this little beauty so we crossed fingers and waited for results

The operation went quite well and I was started on a chemotherapy called "Rchop" at the University of Tennessee cancer canter, one treatment followed by a lumbar puncture and infusion of another methotrexate into the spine (to prevent travel of the cancer) every three weeks with labs and tests every week, Of course, several PET scans and CAT scans were included in the regimen for assessment of the disease and it's progress/abatement.

After the third infusion of drugs and the ninth assessment of the lumbar puncture and results, it was decided by the Tumor Board that cessation of the "Rchop" infusions was indicated, but that the right testicle should be removed as well, although this time in a simple trans-scrotal operation. The lymphoma seemed to have disappeared, but rather than continuing with the next rigorous chemo step (E-chop, which requires a 5-day stay in-hospital and which is often very inimical to healthy heart operation.

This was done July 23rd and the biopsy confirmed that the previous chemo and other treatments had seemingly eliminated the lymphoma, a most surprising and gratifying result for the Doctors (not mention myself) and that further chemo of any kind would not be needed, nor (since there was nothing left to irradiate) would radiation therapy be either needed or desirable. An interesting side-effect of all this is I now have a Halloween character pretty much all to myself,,, Lord Varys from Game Of Thrones. (I even look a bit like him.)

So, short of an endocrinological evaluation and a revisit by the urological staff, it would appear (cautiously optimistic) the worst is just behind us and moving to Tennessee may not be the "hoodoo" I had feared it to be.

One nice omen: Just about half-way thru composing this email, the "light classical" program of "Music Choice" (a service of most cable TV providers), most known for a strict adherence to Grieg, Rachmaninoff, Strauss, etc, suddenly broke forth with a small balalaika gem, Osipov's "Kamarinskaya", which was a true joy.

So, for the moment we will be something more than cautiously but less than rapturously optimistic in the future and will, of course, let all know if the prognosis deteriorates.

Been a fast trip thru the convolutions of the medical system... a Solid Gold Thrill.

Vince Brennan, artisan

Heal well, fast, and completely old friend!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: Vince Brennan

Well, crap. I'm glad that they caught it and got treatment promptly. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery for Lord Varys. (I'm sure it is a look that Vince can pull off!)

Best wishes, Vince!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Dang, Heal up good buddy.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Exclamation Re: Vince Brennan

DAMN! What a trip.

Welcome to the Survivors' Club.

Ugh! tough story.

Very best wishes, Vince!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Christ Vince that’s a well written horror story with a happy ending. Best wishes.

I was wondering, actually. Delighted to see that the Vince-titled thread has a hopeful tone!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Optimism and hope. Carry on Vince.

Good on you, Vince...thanks for sharing this. And thank you, Lew!
    In the spirit of celebration and humor where there is little, bobbys has confided to me that if you should ever decide to have a transplant he will be happy to donate one of his since he claims to have two.
    Best wishes to you and yours amigo.

Time to tie up a couple (or 3?) Monkey's Fists Vince? Make 'em BIG!

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Time to tie up a couple (or 3?) Monkey's Fists Vince? Make 'em BIG!

Best wishes.
    Nahh... Need to pour Vince a new set - in bronze. All the finest gronicals, yannow.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Thanks Lew.

Vince - get powered up, not all knotted up.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

All the best to you Vince and your continued recovery.

We all post on here and often know little of the issues affecting a fellow forumite.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Vince - Those of us in the Survivor's Club know that our tenure here is always subject to revocation without warning. No rhyme, no reason, no avoiding it. And yet some of us just chug along until the Grim Reaper harvests us for unrelated causes... as several of my friends have. Here's hoping you are among the latter group!!!

Thank you Lew.

Vince - get better damnit! Your irreverence in needed around here.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Lew, I received the same email, I didn't know if it was proper to post in open forum but I do love the guy.

He made this for Tess years ago.

TessFosterL.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Buddy. Good energy being directed your way, called by whatever name you like. Heal up, and come back here.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Good news.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Lew, I received the same email, I didn't know if it was proper to post in open forum but I do love the guy.

He made this for Tess years ago.

TessFosterL.jpg
    I love him too. I thought the forum would like to know so I asked him if I could copy it to the board.

I need to get to Knoxville to visit him, more so since we haven't hooked up since he got to TN. Now we know why he's been a little scarce around here. He made me a beaut of a needle case. I'll grab a picture of it and post it here. I've always admired his work.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Vince I hope things continue on an upward tack.
    Will

Vince, All the best for your ongoing recovery!
    If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

Thumbs up Re: Vince Brennan

Glad to hear you're on the mend my friend.
    Welcome to the Cancer Survivor Club.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

I hope Vince sticks around the forum for a long time to come.Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I love him too. I thought the forum would like to know so I asked him if I could copy it to the board.

I need to get to Knoxville to visit him, more so since we haven't hooked up since he got to TN. Now we know why he's been a little scarce around here. He made me a beaut of a needle case. I'll grab a picture of it and post it here. I've always admired his work.
    I'll be thinking of him as well.

Never waste a trip. While in that part of the state, if you need any sharpening stones, go a little farther down I-40 to Smokey Mountain Knife Works, they have great prices on stones, at least last I was there over 15 years ago. Looking online, I think they may still do. I bought a bunch for friends, as well as some multitools and sheaths for my gift stock. However, it's the same exit as Dollywood, so try to do it on a weekday. Also be careful not to speed, I got pinched on I-40 on the way back from there. Don't let them do a free sharpen on your knife, they just run it over a hard buffing wheel, it'll be sharp and look pretty, but it totally goofs up the edge angle.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Every time I see a thread title like that, I think, damn, we've lost another one, or will soon :-/
    Scary stuff, but sounds like a good outcome. Every day warm and upright is a gift, so dust off that bucket list, and go do something fun and fulfilling.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

^ Yup, Pete said it well - Continue to mend, Vince !!

Vince Brennan still has more cojones than most men ever will.
    Rattling the teacups.

Ouch. Best wishes mate.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

All the best Vince.

The thought of all of those lumbar punctures made my eyes water.

Then Canoez mentioned cast bronze gronicles.
    You would never be able to sneak up on anyone ever again. Click clack, click clack. . .
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Best wishes Vince....get well , stay well.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Thanks, Lew. We’re lucky to have some of Vince’s work around the house.

Feel better Vince! I hope you stick around for a good long time.

Vince-all the best. Glad things are turning your way.

Why does **** happen to the good guys.
    All the best for the future, Vince.

Thanks for checking with Vince and posting Lew.

Vince - if you stumble in please know that you continue to be in my thoughts. You and many of the fine folks that have already posted are part of the core of good people that has made the WBF such a special place all these years.

Love -
    M

Thanks Lew. Anyone who wishes and who is a member of the various forums I am a member of but which I can't possibly remember are encouraged to post this to those forae so they know I'm not just effin' ignoring them Drugs and memory do NOT play well together.

Those of you who remember "The Beard"? ,

031719-BEFORE-DIAGNOSIS.jpg

chemo does nasty things to your hair growth.

042419-AFTER-FIRST-OPERATION.jpg

Also lets the world see your "chicken neck".

071619-AFTER-CHEMO-AND-SECOND-OPERATION.jpg